10 replies to this topic
  • ChaosX

Posted July 07, 2006 - 02:30 AM

I have noticed a razzle and ticking sound on my YZ400 98:a. There is this razzling sound on idle. I did a search here and i do believe its the key for the counterbalancer.

But, if its the timingchain, how can i notice the differences? Can i listen to the sound?

This razzle sound is all trough the register and i do believe it do come from the clutchside on the engine. If i replace these, should i replace on both sides?

• grayracer513

Posted July 07, 2006 - 04:11 PM

Pull the clutch in and see if it goes away. Put it in gear if necessary. If it gets quiet when in gear, but rattles in neutral, odds are it's normal transmission torsional rattle, and nothing to worry about.

• Butta

Posted July 08, 2006 - 06:22 AM

If you haven't replaced the timing chain, now's a good time to do it. Doesn't take that long, and is very cheap (like less than $20), and it's good insurance. Check the workings of the auto chain adjuster while you have it off.

• rexbond007

Posted July 08, 2006 - 08:23 AM

if you find it hard to start when it is hot , most likely it would be timing chain.

• grayracer513

Posted July 08, 2006 - 10:36 PM

You're right about the priice of the timing chain...for a 450. But the older bikes are about twice as expensive. No clue as to why.

if you find it hard to start when it is hot , most likely it would be timing chain.

Really? How's that work?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rexbond007

Posted July 09, 2006 - 12:22 PM

When my Timing chain was Stretched and in need of replacing ,on my WR 250, I found the bike hard to start Hot as well as cold.even more so when Hot.the mechanic that did the work said that was one of the signs of wear as well as noise.

• grayracer513

Posted July 09, 2006 - 08:40 PM

The only thing that a timing can do is to accelerate wear on the crank sprocket and retard the timing of the cams by being longer than it should be between the crank and cams. In order for the chain to have a negative effect on starting or low speed performance, it would have to have been stretched enough to retard the cams nearly a full tooth. Not frankly very likely.

Your mechanic was feeding in a little extra color to make his work seem more worthwhile to you, IMO.

• ChaosX

Posted July 09, 2006 - 10:17 PM

First, i have tried this with the clutch but it still make noise.
I did remove my tensioner and the piston did move really fine. When i reinstalled it i noticed that it is more than the half piston left before it has reached the bottom.

Two, my bike starts really fine, cold or warm... No problem at all.
If i do change my camchain, is that an operation that i can do by myself?
If so, is there any good tip u can give me?

Thanx for all the help guys!

• grayracer513

Posted July 10, 2006 - 07:32 AM

You can do either operation by yourself if you can adjust valves. The balancer gear is under the right engine cover, on the end of the crank. The same nut holds both the primary gear and the balancer drive gear in place, but the balancer gear has a square key to keep it located, and the key loosens up. Some have decided that the stock key fits too loosely, and have filed down a piece of square key stock to make their own. Bear in mind, the balancer is timed to the crank. See the manual.

The cam chain is a little more involved, and you will need a torque wrench for the cam caps, and a flywheel puller. On the '00 models and newer, you need a Torx bit to remove the stator plate; I suppose that to be true of the 400 as well.

Here's a post by an old grouch about how the procedure goes. It's not a bad write up, in spite of the guy who wrote it:

• ChaosX

Posted July 10, 2006 - 12:45 PM

Thanx Grayracer!!!!
I did read that and thats to much for my skills. I am going to replace the camchain before i will ride next time.

Btw, does TT ship overseas? I do live in sweden an are intrested in that 450 camshaft.

• tom nolan

Posted July 11, 2006 - 07:09 AM

I had a noise deep inside the engine on my 98'. It ended up being the crank bearing going south. I had a pulsesation just above idle speed. There were also fine particals of metal in the filter. After changing the crank bearing, all my noises went away. The ballancer is fairly bullet proof, at least that's what I have found out.

Related Content

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  57 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.