Keep the 426 or upgrade?

10 replies to this topic
  • Zique

Posted July 06, 2006 - 06:22 PM

Hey all...

I currently have a 2000 yz426f that has been running well. I will probably need to be adjusting valves in a bit and the front forks may need to be rebuilt. Other than that, the bike is pretty clean and nice. I've kept real good care of it and have made it street legal.

Question is this: A fellow stopped me the other day and said that he was very interested in buying it. Should I sell and upgrade? How much do you think I could sell it for? What could I replace it for? I really love the motocross bike being street legal...I am just not sure. I've spent about $2,700 on the bike and goodies that I have on it.

So what do you think? Should I do it? I really like yami, but I've also been considering the EXC 525 and streeting that bike, don't know about the cost of it though.

Input is appreciated...thanks!

• yamahacrazy_310

Posted July 06, 2006 - 06:50 PM

Dude upgrade to an 06 or you can wait till the 07 come out. You wont miss that heavy 426 once you get an aluminum frame under you.

• elcamino76

Posted July 07, 2006 - 05:01 AM

if you get offered a good price i would let it go and up grade.

• Fastest1

Posted July 07, 2006 - 08:33 AM

Can you still get the bike of your dreams tagged for the road? If so, sell it. If not, enjoy what you have and ride it til it is worn out.

• Zique

Posted July 07, 2006 - 08:05 PM

I was planning on riding this until it wore (sp?) out. I am really happy w/ it, but I haven't been able to try the aluminum frames yet. I've heard great things about the 06, but I think that might be a little pricey for me right now. Plus you can't get the stator into it to power a headlight like you can for the 426. I could do a battery set-up and get it legal no prob, but it wouldn't hold for night riding. How much do you think I could get into an 06 (used is fine) after the 07s come out?

Once again, how much do you think I could get out of this?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Zique

Posted July 07, 2006 - 08:07 PM

Also, anyone know if the forks from a 04 450 will fit the 426? I think I remember hearing that they went a bit larger than the 46mm, but I'm not for certain. If I have the clamps and steering stem as well would it work?

• Zique

Posted July 09, 2006 - 11:57 AM

bump...what should I sell the 426 for?

considering an 01/02 426 so that I can do the street legal thing, or the 06 if I can get the money. Thoughts?

• elcamino76

Posted July 09, 2006 - 12:48 PM

i think they are 48mm and they might work with the stem and clamps but not sure. I think there was a post by gray in a different forum where he said what would work and wouldnt work with different years of the yz's.

• elcamino76

Posted July 09, 2006 - 12:51 PM

it depends on what you mean by WHAT SHOULD I SELL IT FOR. you could sell it for what it might be worth or what you want to get out of it. what did that guy offer you??? that might be a good place to start. Or you said you had 2700 in to it. not sure if people are willing to pay that.

• Ranger18

Posted July 09, 2006 - 02:31 PM

Here in california that bike would go for $3,000 no problem. If you look at cycle trader there are 426's with out being street legal going for 2,800 - 3,000. If you can afford it I would go with the 06. If not, stick with the 426 it's a good bike. :ride:

• Zique

Posted July 11, 2006 - 01:18 PM

I was thinking of asking for $3k and if he tries to talk me down at all, I will just keep the bike.

Related Content

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.