Will I need to re-jet if I add a spark arrestor/silent insert?

1 reply to this topic
  • atropine

Posted July 06, 2006 - 07:58 AM

I just placed a wanted ad in the classifieds-- I want to add a ProMotoBillet spark arrestor and silent insert to the stock exhaust system on my 2002 YZF426. I did a search and found a couple posts from several years ago in which people described a minimal loss of power and no need to re-jet after doing this modification. However, some other people reported needing to re-jet and adjust the carb in other ways after adding various exhaust changes. Just curious if anyone currently has any other info on this topic.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ranger18

Posted July 06, 2006 - 08:16 AM

I just put the PMB spark arrestor on my 06 450 and I didn't need to rejet, and there was no power loss at all. I didn't get the silent insert because the stock exhaust isn't too loud. Your bike being an 02 you should replace your packing while your in there. PMB makes some packing, that they claim is quieter than stock.
As for the silent insert I can see how that would require you to rejet a little, probably lean it out 1 jet size, or possibly just adjust your air fuel screw. And it would probably cause a power loss, so unless your running in a scrable that does sound checks I wouldn't worry about the silent insert.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.