shell rotella 5w-40 and my brp?

3 replies to this topic
  • flubber

Posted July 05, 2006 - 11:18 PM

Is anyone using this in their brp? I'm sick of paying the high prices for amsoil and was thinking of switching over. I do have a case of honda oil in the garage but have heard of people using the rotella synthetic with great results.

• cleonard

Posted July 06, 2006 - 06:52 AM

I've been running the 15W-40 non synthetic type of Rotella in my XR600 for a few years now. I also use it in my road bike, cars, and trucks. Great stuff.

I looked around quite a bit to see if there was any benefit to the 5W-40 synthetic vs the 15W-40 regular type. Most of the info said that if you are starting in temperatures below 25, you need the synthetic type. Otherwise there seemed to be little benefit to the more expensive synthetic. I use the cheaper stuff and change it more often.

While it's called synthetic, it's really just more highly refined dino oil. Most, but not all, so called synthetics are like this.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • flubber

Posted July 06, 2006 - 07:43 AM

Thanks for the info. I think I'll try it for an oil change or two and see how the bike likes it. I've only had the bike for a few months now and didn't think this thing would go through rear tires like it does. 1200 miles and my d606 is toast! I need to save $$$ anywhere I can just to keep some rubber on the road.

• RdrMtn

Posted July 06, 2006 - 07:57 AM

I am using it and I think it's great! The 5W makes it super easy to start. I like the oil so much I am now using it in my cars and other bikes.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.