New to board, Need help with mods

16 replies to this topic
  • BigStroker

Posted November 12, 2001 - 07:16 AM

Hi everyone, this is my first post on this board. I just got a 2001 wr 426 and I want to do some mods to it. What are the first things I should do? I see posts about a gray wire and throttle stop? What are those things and what should i do with them? I will be putting an exhaust on and rejetting the carb. Could someone reccomend a good exhaust (i like loud). Does anyone have details on re-jetting the carb for aftermarket exhaust (and air box?). What else should I look to modify?
Thanks in advance for any info.

BigStroker

• jamracing

Posted November 12, 2001 - 07:33 AM

Welcome!
Free mods:
Change timing to YZ spec.
Cut grey wire (under tank, part of a two wire connector).
Cut throttle stop about 11 mm.(back right of carb, pointing up, has a small hex head).
Take Airbox off (and throw away).
Money mods:
Re-jet carb (search for posts on forum).
Arrow pipe and header (or Pro-Circuit, FMF, Dr. Dubach, DSP, GYT-R and 3 million others.) Remember to see if you can get it with a spark arrestor...
Throw away stock bars, tank and seat. Buy good bars (your pref.), stock YZ tank (or IMS, Clarke, Acerbis), and a SDG seat.
Ok, you should have enough work for several weeks, so get goin'!! :)

• BigStroker

Posted November 12, 2001 - 07:41 AM

Thanks Josh. What is the function of this gray wire that I should cut? Why do you recommend a new seat and tank? Also, should I remove the entire airbox or just the lid? If the whole box, what do you do to keep the filter from getting clogged with mud?

BS

• BlueThunder

Posted November 12, 2001 - 10:10 PM

Hey Big, welcome to the best forum on the web for WR owners. You'll have to excuse jams, he may have to switch to decaf. Remove your airbox lid only, and as for the rest of the mods, use the search function on the upper right corner of this window and read to your hearts content. I'd suggest starting with the throttle stop, gray wire
and airbox lid as these normally don't require jetting mods to compensate. After these, the skies the limit. Enjoy.

• Bryce_Senff

Posted November 12, 2001 - 10:15 PM

Hi BS,
Just in case Jam doesn't reply to your ?'s.
The gray wire retards ignition timing in the midrange, cut it and you will have smoother running midrange. Just take of the air-box lid and put it in a safe spot. I never like to throw anything away unless it is damaged. You never know when you might need a item on a day when shops are closed. The yzf tanks are smaller and slimmer and allow you to get more forward on the bike, which results in better handling. Most of us trail riders do not need the xtra gallon worth of fuel unless you are doing all day rides. Hope this helps. You will find a wealth of info on this site. Use the search feature and you will find all the advice and info you will need.
Enjoy your new toy,
BS

• Bryce_Senff

Posted November 12, 2001 - 10:29 PM

I guess Blue Thunder is a faster typer than I!
In regards to your original post about liking loud exhausts. Just take into consideration that most people dislike motorcyclist because of loud and obnoxious exhaust noise. I spent my first day riding at a new area yesterday. People park right next to a neighborhood and start their bikes and warm them up instead of pushing them to the trail head Fifty yards away. Totally inconsiderate! I sure would hate it if my neighbors used a chainsaw all day, while I was trying to relax on a day off!
My .02
BS

• BlueThunder

Posted November 12, 2001 - 10:54 PM

Just wondering where you're riding? I can totally relate to the exhaust deal, it's killing our sport
in the state of WA. I try to be as courteous as possible to the non-riding public when I'm out but constantly see other riders out there making us all look like losers. :)

• jamracing

Posted November 12, 2001 - 11:34 AM

Yes, too much coffee... :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bryce_Senff

Posted November 12, 2001 - 11:43 AM

Hey BT,
I usually ride Rieters Pit, Belfair-Tuhuya, Power-lines just south of Buckley-Wilkeson.
A new friend just took me to a area by Bonney-Lake yesterday. Probably the best riding that I've been to locally. A little bit of everything. Unfortunately, it looks like it won't be there much longer do to all the tell-tale markers hanging frome the trees and the freshly dug trenches blocking most of the trails( although we managed to find a way around them). I've also been to CleElum once last summer(good riding, but dusty) I wish that Roslyn-Salmon la sac was still open, that was my favorite 10 years ago when I had My CR250. Maybe we can hook up sometime. But being in the grocery business my days off always vary. I usually ride weekdays and the occasional Weekend.
Bryce

• BigStroker

Posted November 12, 2001 - 11:44 AM

Thanks to everyone for all the replies. As for the exhaust noise, I will be riding on secluded private land. There are no nearby homes so I don't have to worry about offending anyone with a loud pipe.

• LarryCO

Posted November 12, 2001 - 01:11 PM

Regarding the replacement YZ tank...I dont know about the other brands, but my Clarke tank (w/ SDG seat) supposedly has a 3.3 gal capacity...actually 0.1 more capacity than the stock WR tank.

Of all the mods I've done thus far (other than the obvious throttle stop), I call this one the biggest improvement. There's plenty of talk out here regarding replacement tanks/seats...just search away...

Larry

• BlueThunder

Posted November 12, 2001 - 05:59 PM

That place by Bonney Lake called Victor Falls by any chance? I figured that's where you were referring to, and yes, it will be shut down soon, due to progress(or lack thereof) and a bunch of ya-hoos that keep getting the Pierce County Sheriffs called on them for being ignorant and obnoxious. Tough to keep a riding area so close and convenient open anymore. Ride Thurston County or Naches much? Bit of a drive but well worth it for the endless trails available. Let me know if you're interested in hooking up this spring for some good riding trips.

• lewichris

Posted November 13, 2001 - 07:46 AM

Originally posted by BigStroker:
Hi everyone, this is my first post on this board. I just got a 2001 wr 426 and I want to do some mods to it. What are the first things I should do? I see posts about a gray wire and throttle stop? What are those things and what should i do with them? I will be putting an exhaust on and rejetting the carb. Could someone reccomend a good exhaust (i like loud). Does anyone have details on re-jetting the carb for aftermarket exhaust (and air box?). What else should I look to modify?
Thanks in advance for any info.

BigStroker

someone told you to thow away your stock seat and tank. Well dont i will take it. LOL

• lewichris

Posted November 13, 2001 - 07:52 AM

Originally posted by Bryce Senff:
Hey BT,
I usually ride Rieters Pit, Belfair-Tuhuya, Power-lines just south of Buckley-Wilkeson.
A new friend just took me to a area by Bonney-Lake yesterday. Probably the best riding that I've been to locally. A little bit of everything. Unfortunately, it looks like it won't be there much longer do to all the tell-tale markers hanging frome the trees and the freshly dug trenches blocking most of the trails( although we managed to find a way around them). I've also been to CleElum once last summer(good riding, but dusty) I wish that Roslyn-Salmon la sac was still open, that was my favorite 10 years ago when I had My CR250. Maybe we can hook up sometime. But being in the grocery business my days off always vary. I usually ride weekdays and the occasional Weekend.
Bryce

If you are ever waning to come over to the north Idaho and do some tril riding we have it all. Just let me know when and how many of you want to go. I have about 10 friends that are alot better then I that know of even more trails. like i said. Just let me know.

Chris

• BlueThunder

Posted November 13, 2001 - 09:28 AM

lewichris....where you at in No. Idaho? Visited Sandpoint, Bonners Ferry, Priest Lake etc. this summer and was very impressed. What a beautiful place to live and the people were all totally cool
everywhere we went. Now if I could only find work over there, I'd say ADIOS to the Peoples Republic of WA. and head that way full time. Had it with the rat race over here on the coast. :)

[ November 13, 2001: Message edited by: BlueThunder ]

• s.c.rider

Posted November 13, 2001 - 09:51 AM

I don't know about many other exhausts but I have the white bros. e-series system with 7 discs and a spark arrester and it's usually the loudest bike in the area. That is unless some 250 gets it's silencer ripped off. Without the spark arrestor disc its just too loud, almost unbearable. I even wear ear plugs, seems to help.

• Bryce_Senff

Posted November 13, 2001 - 05:19 PM

Blue Thunder & Chris
Blue, Not exactly sure what the area was called, but took a road south off of the old buckley Highway. It might have been Angelina Road or something similar. And yes we'll hook up this spring for some rides.
Chris, thanks for the invite! I'm usually over at Spokane Raceway Park for Roadracing or open trackdays and am planning on bringing the 426 and spending an extra day or two scouting out some new places to ride. Probably won't be until April or May though.
Thanks Again Guys,
Bryce

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.