xl600r gearing question

2 replies to this topic
  • soccermania688

Posted July 05, 2006 - 07:40 PM

i have a 1987 xl600r and the gearing is kinda off. i do only off-road use and never use it on the street. i was wondering if dropping to a 13 teeth sprocket in the front would help. i want more acceleration rather than top speed.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • justicedone

Posted July 05, 2006 - 07:42 PM

Most guys run 14/48 combo on the L models for more offroading ability...works great for me

closes that hideous gap from 1-2 also

I can still hit 90mph, and yet come to about a dead stop in 2nd then throttle through in the hills.

• spm59701

Posted June 12, 2008 - 04:44 PM

I just had my mechanic order me a 14/48 combo and a new chain for my 85 XL600R. I can't wait to to test it out. I do mostly trail riding here in Montana. JT sprockets has a pretty good breakdown of gear ratios on their web sit to use as a reference

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.