buying a 650

10 replies to this topic
  • 04crf150rida

Posted July 05, 2006 - 04:48 PM

Hi all i am currently saving up to buy a xr650r i was wondering if you think I a 5'11" 160lb 16 year old could handle this bike. i have been riding dirtbikes since i was 8 so this wouldn't be my first bike.. thanks

• wr450fyamaha

Posted July 05, 2006 - 06:49 PM

I was bout exactly the same size as u when i got my L and i had no problem with it, hell, i went from a ttr125 to the 650....

• justicedone

Posted July 05, 2006 - 07:44 PM

Big diff from L to an R, I am gonna vote NO

hate to see a young kid with their brains splattered on some rocks

nothing against you, just think its too much bike

• hypersthenos

Posted July 05, 2006 - 11:08 PM

I believe you will be dissapointed in the 650 if it's strictly for off road. Despite your prior experience on bikes you should spend your hard earned money on something a bit lighter. The 650 is a great bike but you will have some difficulty with cornering & jumps, not to mention it takes some effort to get one started.

• 04crf150rida

Posted July 06, 2006 - 06:48 AM

so do you think buying a yz250f or crf250r would be a better choice?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Falls A Lot

Posted July 06, 2006 - 07:33 AM

It's a lot of bike and a VERY big jump from what you are riding. I would recommend a smaller step, say an xr250 or 400.

• snaggleXR650

Posted July 06, 2006 - 10:49 AM

Power really isn't the problem, although it is a huge jump in HP, the XR's power curve is easy to control. The height/weight of the bike, along with kickstarting make it a handful if you aren't already used to big bikes.

I would steer clear of the MX bikes you mentioned, unless you plan to race. You might consider the woodsy versions of those bikes, CRF250X or WR250F. Either will put out about 3x the HP as your 150, and will be much better suspended. If you are feeling a bit balsy and want a big jump in power, and something to grow into, then look at the 450's. If you like XR's and are on a tight budget then look for a good used XR250 or XR400. After you get used to a taller/heavier bike, then give the 650R a shot.

• khelton

Posted July 06, 2006 - 01:00 PM

The R is extremely easy to ride and mine starts the first kick on virtually every try, rarely more than 2 . R would get you in trouble if you were desert racing maybe but I don't know of any deserts in Virginia, unfortunately anyway....

• hypersthenos

Posted July 06, 2006 - 11:08 PM

You haven't stated what you will be using the bike for. What sort of terrain do you ride (i.e. tight woods trails, flat land, logging roads, farm fields?) At your age I grew up in farm country and was perfectly happy with a less competition oriented machine and as my skills & interest grew went to a more competition machine. At 16 I'd imagine whatever you buy will be a major expense. If you truly have the skills & ability than you may not have trouble on any dirt bike. Just be honest with yourself about how you will use it. Nothing's worse than spending all that money and regretting it by the end of the summer.

Posted July 07, 2006 - 05:05 AM

I am the same size but in my 50's. I was riding my Xr650 for the past week in the mts of tn. You could handle the size fine for the first couple of hours. However dump it once or twice, ride down a dead end trail and have to manhandle one around . and do all of these things in full riding gear with 90 degree temps you will wonder what in the hell was I thinking when I bought this BRP.
I would get an ELECTRIC start CRF250 or 450 X. In the long run you will get more use and fun.................................................otto

• pigryder

Posted July 08, 2006 - 05:28 AM

Hi all i am currently saving up to buy a xr650r i was wondering if you think I a 5'11" 160lb 16 year old could handle this bike. i have been riding dirtbikes since i was 8 so this wouldn't be my first bike.. thanks

Im the exact same size as you and you wont be disappointed, so go for it :ride: :ride: :ride: :banana: also I ride tight single tracks and rocky, rooty, rutted, nargly, trails, wouldnt want any other bike :p

Related Content

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  47 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

• Hot  37 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.