06 450 YZF Track or TRAIL?

25 replies to this topic
  • todd trettel

Posted July 05, 2006 - 11:57 AM

I am so close to selling my 05 450 EXC to get a 06 450 YZF. My question is, you guys that have them and like them are you riding them strickly moto or in the woods and trails?

I will probably be 80% woods and hill climbs 20% moto practice to stay in shape. :ride:

• WFOracer

Posted July 05, 2006 - 12:11 PM

Mainly moto....I tried it in the woods (very tight) and it was a bear to ride. I hear that a heavier flywheel weight does wonders for it in the woods. I would suggest a 2007 WR450 (aluminum frame and electric start)

• barch88

Posted July 05, 2006 - 12:14 PM

I say go with the WR if your more of a trail guy, same thing as the YZF but with the added trail backbone.

• todd trettel

Posted July 05, 2006 - 12:36 PM

:ride: definately not going to get a wr450.I have a 450 EXC right now. No more 250 pound 450's for me. Mostly everyone at Wellsville rides 450MX bikes. You know when in Rome.

• barch88

Posted July 05, 2006 - 12:45 PM

If your looking for a MX bike then, deffently go with the YZ450F, it will be the most trail friendly bike to change over too. I rode some trails with mine when I first got it because I was at my lake house, and there are no tracks, just trails...and it rode strong. It's a skinny bike, not wide like others out there.

• WFOracer

Posted July 05, 2006 - 12:49 PM

Screw the romans!

The suspension on an 06 yz450f is the works suspension that Chad Reed ran back in 04. It is speed sensitive suspension, designed for MX/SX. The shit will break your ass in the woods. I will never ride my 06 fo-faddy in the woods again. You would have to definitely get the suspension set up for you as well as a flywheel weight added. Just go with the WR. Have you seen the specs on them yet? Check them out. They come ready to hit the woods.

http://www.yamaha-mo...10/0/specs.aspx

• NYMXer

Posted July 05, 2006 - 12:50 PM

I took mine trail riding last wek and didn't like it at all. I felt my YZ250 was better in the woods than the 450 w/ it's tall first gear. JMHO you know. :ride:

• gjones

Posted July 05, 2006 - 12:54 PM

I have an '06 YZ450 and mostly ride woods. I race cross country / hare scrambles, etc. I absolutely love this thing in the woods! I have an oversized tank and have done nothing to the motor to tame it. You cannot ride it like a trail bike by any means due to the fact that it will get pretty warm pretty quick, but if you keep a moderate pace overheating is not an issue. You will definitely like it over your 450 EXC. I had a freind that had one and it felt like a tank in the woods compared to the YZ.

Just my 2 cents

• Diode663

Posted July 05, 2006 - 01:36 PM

WFOracer, he doesnt want a 250 pound bike, the yz is 30 pounds lighter. My 04 Yz450 is set up for all out MX but I can ride it in jersey woods all day and not have a problem, this is with no flywheel weight and tall mx gearing. I agree with the above though in that you have to hold a moderate pace though the woods, but it only makes you a better rider for it, you wont be dissapointed with a yz.

• Swanny40

Posted July 05, 2006 - 01:41 PM

I have an '06 YZ450 and mostly ride woods. I race cross country / hare scrambles, etc. I absolutely love this thing in the woods! I have an oversized tank and have done nothing to the motor to tame it. You cannot ride it like a trail bike by any means due to the fact that it will get pretty warm pretty quick, but if you keep a moderate pace overheating is not an issue. You will definitely like it over your 450 EXC. I had a freind that had one and it felt like a tank in the woods compared to the YZ.

Just my 2 cents

+1. I am coming off of an '03 YZ250 two-stroke and my friends are really impressed on how much faster I have gotten on the '06 YZ450F. The bike is awesome in the trails. I ride almost all trails and the bike feels very quick and nimble.

Swanny

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Javelin

Posted July 05, 2006 - 01:44 PM

The '06 YZ 450 rips in the woods. I have a WR also and I cannot ride it nearly as long as I can the YZ. As far as overheating, a friend and I were riding some very tight single track (1st gear mostly) and when we stopped to take a break, his WR seemed overheated compared to the YZ. Lower gearing, larger tank, O-ring chain and a flywheel weight and suddenly you are riding a very light WR. :ride:

• todd trettel

Posted July 05, 2006 - 01:58 PM

:

I've been riding with my buddy at Wellsville for years. He has a 02 CRF 450. It only has a skid plate and bark busters added. He never has had any overheating problems to speak of. I wouldn't think the YZF would be any different.?

His bike also is set up with stock suspension,and it's VERY rocky out there, here again no troubles to speak of.

I think my 450EXC is under powered. And for an off road suspension it :ride:

• Fastdaddy

Posted July 05, 2006 - 05:14 PM

I had the same thing going on 6 months ago. All of my freinds have ktm 's from 300 xc to 525 xc I couldnt decide orange or blue. I ride hare n hounds and motocross. Im over 40 and like both equally. In a perfect world I would have both bikes 525 xc for h.h. yz for moto. Got the yellow yammy and gotta tell ya it breaks it up pretty good that 5 spd kicks a-- in the desert I am 220 lb amateur so I have revalved front and rear with heavier sp in front. pro motto billet spark arrester and kickstand.Really nice for the woods scotts sub mount stabilizer and ims 3.1 gal. tank this thing is lacking nothing for what ever type of riding I do. However the button would be a good thing. My ktm freinds have ridden this bike and every one of them loved the motor. hands down. they were not lovin the stock stiff suspension. None of them has ridden it since the revalve. This has helped a lot though. I would reccomend this bike to any one. My freind has a recluse ordered for his and a ten oz fly wheel weight ill let you know how that works out.

Mike

• rexbond007

Posted July 05, 2006 - 05:37 PM

I ride tight trails with a friend that just came off a yzf 250 and went to a 06 yzf 450 and just loves it. , i have a RMZ 250 F and I have plans to trade it in for the 07 yzf 450......just gotta wait for SEPT...

• 3TV

Posted July 05, 2006 - 06:11 PM

Screw the romans!

The suspension on an 06 yz450f is the works suspension that Chad Reed ran back in 04. It is speed sensitive suspension, designed for MX/SX. The shit will break your ass in the woods. I will never ride my 06 fo-faddy in the woods again. You would have to definitely get the suspension set up for you as well as a flywheel weight added.

What the heck is this guy smoking? LOL.

I own a KTM 525 and an '06 YZF 450, and the YZF is much plusher than the KTM ever dreamed of being. The KTM weighs less than a WR, and the YZF feels a ton lighter than even the KTM, so I'm thinking the WR has really got to feel like you're dancing with a fat balerina. I ride offroad 80% of the time and practice on motocross tracks the other 20%, and the YZF works great for both diciplines.

• todd trettel

Posted July 05, 2006 - 06:22 PM

:ride: This is like asking,what's the best color of the rainbow. It might come down to a $ thing. If at 200lbs I have to redo the suspension on the YZ,get a chain, maybe taller bars I'm 6'1'', Bark busters and a skid plate.That's some cash. Add in the money difference to buy it in the first place. :ride:

I know it's all worth it to have a bike you love to ride. But... :ride:

• todd trettel

Posted July 05, 2006 - 06:27 PM

3TV, your wife rides a 450 YFZ? :ride:

• ben_suhard

Posted July 06, 2006 - 09:52 AM

I sold my '03 525exc to get my '06 YZ450. I ride MX and trails, and it's perfect for both, way better than the KTM! Just crank the compression clickers in for MX, and wind 'em out a few for trails.

• jgerdi

Posted July 06, 2006 - 11:21 AM

Ditto... I ride track and trails.. Turn out the clickers , put a 12 tooth on the front and add bark busters( 20 minutes ) and she'll creep around any goat trail you can amagin....Oh wait, You want to kick you friends _ss on the track? Turn the clickers back in, off with the 12 tooth and busters...Bamm No one can touch you on the track.....God I love this bike

• 3TV

Posted July 06, 2006 - 04:14 PM

3TV, your wife rides a 450 YFZ? :ride:

Yes, she does. I raced the ATV class in desert races last year on a Bombardier DS 650. My wife wanted an ATV of her own, but did not want a slow utility quad, and my DS 650 was too big for her, so we bought a YFZ 450 that I set up for racing just incase I wanted to borrow it some day, but I gave the quad to her to use as her own quad. I have since sold my DS 650 and switched to dirt bikes, but she still rides the YFZ 450, and usually brings it when we go camping so she can cruise around on her quad. She isn't real aggressive on it, but it is her quad. I have only ridden it once, when I borrowed it for a Grand Prix race last January. Here is a picture of the first turn of that race, and that's me on my wife's orange #3 YFZ 450, out front. We put my earned desert racing number from last year on her quad for that race.

Posted Image

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.