run thick or thin oil????

23 replies to this topic
  • getdrunk

Posted July 05, 2006 - 11:17 AM

i gots a question. does thinner oil heat up faster than the thick stuff or does it just break down faster?

• Fastest1

Posted July 05, 2006 - 01:34 PM

Which one heats up quicker or dissipates heat quicker (or maybe which one lubricates better)? Is the factory recommended oil or its equivalent not good enough? Using no oil at all will give a big increase in power for a minute. I suggest AA.

• barch88

Posted July 05, 2006 - 02:47 PM

The lower number (i.e. the 10 in 10W30) represents the cold viscosity and the number following the W represents the hot oil viscosity. I don't want to list the lower and higher temperatures by which they're measured because I don't want to be giving wrong information but you can look it up. All the oil manufacturers go by those temperatures when listing their oil viscosity. So a 5W30 and 10W30 will have different viscosity at the cold temp but will be the same at the high temp.

I myself use 10W30, but have recently switched over to 10W50. If you change your oil after each day at the track don't worry about it so much, as long as it's 4-Stroke Motorcycle engine oil, for your bike, and you have oil in the engine, change it often, you will be fine no matter which oil you run. In the colder temps I like to use 10W30. Since it's getting hot I use 10W50.

• getdrunk

Posted July 05, 2006 - 04:10 PM

well if i change the oil like every 10 hours could i get away with 10W 30 or should i stick with 10W40?

• barch88

Posted July 05, 2006 - 04:15 PM

If your going to change the oil less, I change mine every 4-5 Hours, but if your going to be changing each 10, I reccommend changing the oil filter when you change the oil too then, and go with 10W30. I change my oil filter every other oil change, so about 10 hours because I change my oil every 5.

• grayracer513

Posted July 05, 2006 - 08:01 PM

i gots a question. does thinner oil heat up faster than the thick stuff or does it just break down faster?

That question is far too general to be answered. Neither, both, whatever.

well if i change the oil like every 10 hours could i get away with 10W 30 or should i stick with 10W40?

10 hours is the absolute outside limit you should let it go under favorable conditions. I wouldn't use a 10w-30 under any condition, although they are listed as acceptable for up to 90 degrees ambient temperature.

And the lower number is the equivalent SAE viscosity at 70 degrees F, while the higher is the SAE equivalent at 212 F.

• getdrunk

Posted July 10, 2006 - 11:51 AM

why does this motor need it changed so often?

• Fastest1

Posted July 10, 2006 - 03:30 PM

The clutch bathes in the same oil/lubricant. If you ride easy it is probably alright, but if you are racing it is a different story.

• kid on a 426

Posted July 10, 2006 - 08:59 PM

why does this motor need it changed so often?

Because the oil is run through the engine, clutch, and transmission. Unlike a car who has a larger oil capacity and seperates the different systems

• slammmin72

Posted July 10, 2006 - 09:30 PM

WD-40 works the best

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • barch88

Posted July 10, 2006 - 09:56 PM

WD-40 works the best

Hahahahaha.

• getdrunk

Posted July 11, 2006 - 07:43 AM

Because the oil is run through the engine, clutch, and transmission. Unlike a car who has a larger oil capacity and seperates the different systems

well my 400ex the shop said not to change till 20 hours.
i asked a yamnaha dealer and they said every 5 hours is crazzy.

i run hard. top rpm comstantly and constantly shifting and full throtol all time. i beet it bad specialy on the lakes durin winter.

• Fastest1

Posted July 11, 2006 - 10:19 AM

First of all a 400ex doesnt do anything similar to a YZF(hence why your are running the YZF motor). The EX probably doesnt need more frequent oil changes. Forget what the idiot at the dealer says, buy the manual or look it up here and read the interval for yourself. Then you can choose when to change it, but at least you will be informed. The manual has some great info and it is written by the people who designed and built the bike. Though us mere mortals might be able change a bike in some minor way to enhance our specific need (or perceived need), the basic info the manual gives is spot on. Oil recommendations are very accurate and dont need any compensation. Follow Yamahas advice if ever in doubt, not the punk at the dealer this week (who probably doesnt even have a bike or the love of biking). All that drinking might be causing you some problems, reassess it.

• 450_rider

Posted July 11, 2006 - 10:45 AM

Forget what the idiot at the dealer says, buy the manual or look it up here and read the interval for yourself. Then you can choose when to change it, but at least you will be informed. The manual has some great info and it is written by the people who designed and built the bike.

In my 03' service manual it says to change the engine oil every 1000km? :ride: Thats just ridiculous amount of time.

• getdrunk

Posted July 13, 2006 - 06:39 PM

ok so you all change oil every 5 hours? i gess ill do that but its gona be expensive sinse m yoil is almost 10 dolars a qaurt and i use 2.5 qaurts. sinse i run more oil than stock cant i run longer b4 needing a change or no? cause the more oil the longer it should take to break down right?

• barch88

Posted July 13, 2006 - 06:46 PM

ok so you all change oil every 5 hours? i gess ill do that but its gona be expensive sinse m yoil is almost 10 dolars a qaurt and i use 2.5 qaurts. sinse i run more oil than stock cant i run longer b4 needing a change or no? cause the more oil the longer it should take to break down right?

10 dollars a quart!? What oil are you buying? Mine's like 4 something... :ride: Just buy oil by the case, it's the cheapest, best way to do it. My Yamaha dealer gives me a bunch of discounts if I buy bulk, like I buy like 2 cases of oil, and I buy like 10 oil filters. That way Im set for the entire season plus more. The guy at my dealer is really cool guy though, he gives me like a lot of percent off on a lot of stuff :ride: I got the Limited Edition Yamaha backpack for $45 bucks, sticker on it was $69.00 :ride: .

Before you all flame me, I know, I know buying soo many oil filters I can just get a stainless steel one...but I rather have a brand new fresh one that I hear filter better...disagree with me if you will, but this way I know everything is clean. It's my money...not yours.

Your engine holds 2.5 quarts! That's a lot man...My '06 holds just over a quart. I change my oil after each ride, or every 5 hours (Im usually riding for a total of 5 hours when I ride). Oil filter every other oil change (10 hours).

-Mike

• getdrunk

Posted July 13, 2006 - 06:55 PM

i run amsoil. its $9 sumthin wear i get it. its good oil though. better than yamalube stuff.

• barch88

Posted July 13, 2006 - 06:58 PM

i run amsoil. its $9 sumthin wear i get it. its good oil though. better than yamalube stuff.

"I run Amsoil, it's $9 something where I get it. It's good oil though, better than Yamalube stuff."

Fixed. :ride:

You say it's better, how would you know what's better than what when you don't even like to run oil? :ride:

-Mike

• GONE1445

Posted July 13, 2006 - 09:21 PM

OK the 426 manual recommends 20W40 I believe correct me if I am wrong. I just run yamalube and change it every season but I trail ride and dont use the clutch a lot and my oil doesn't look that dirty when I drain it??

do the 06's have the oil reservoir like the 426's had or is it all in the cases like the CRF's??

• barch88

Posted July 13, 2006 - 09:37 PM

All in the cases.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.