Play in Front Brake Disk

7 replies to this topic
  • yami racer

Posted July 04, 2006 - 04:04 PM

I have a small amount of play in the disk on a 2006 YZ450F. If I lock the front brake the front tire will shift back and forth slightly. It seems that the play is coming from where the disK that hits the pad is riveted to the part that is secured to the bike. Do these typically loosen like this? Is this at all normal? I can't believe I would have to replace the disk after only 6 months of riding. Thanks for any input.

• matt116

Posted July 04, 2006 - 04:36 PM

it's normal

• barch88

Posted July 04, 2006 - 06:18 PM

I can shift mine back and forth just a tiny bit too, so I guess it's normal.

• Matt96xr6

Posted July 04, 2006 - 08:32 PM

it is called a floating rotor for a reason

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Fastest1

Posted July 05, 2006 - 06:10 AM

it is called a floating rotor for a reason

It is called a floating disc because it floats from side to side not back and forth, however a little play is expected. It doesnt effect your stopping at all.

• ben_suhard

Posted July 05, 2006 - 07:16 AM

It's designed to be loose so that it doesn't warp, it's normal. It'll last you at least a couple hundred hours, maybe even five hundred.

• NorCal

Posted October 17, 2007 - 04:06 PM

It is called a floating disc because it floats from side to side not back and forth, however a little play is expected. It doesnt effect your stopping at all.

It's designed to be loose so that it doesn't warp, it's normal. It'll last you at least a couple hundred hours, maybe even five hundred.

How do you know when there is too much play? There is only 100 hours on my bike and I don't want to replace anything unless it is necessary (sorry to bring up an old thread).

• KAS

Posted October 17, 2007 - 04:21 PM

Its normal. I had an EBC floating rotor and it was pretty sloppy.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.