o6 yz450 stalling alot

9 replies to this topic
  • Blue_White_Rider

Posted July 04, 2006 - 10:05 AM

:ride: I just went for a ride yesterday and the bike seemed to stall a lot more than the last time i rode it. It would happen after restarting the bike to take off, rolling through a tight turn with the clutch in, and at low engine spped when getting back on the gas. I havent been out in almost a month and the weather was a little cooler then. I am wondering if the jetting could be the problem due to change in temp. Last time out was 80-85deg this time 100. The only changes to the stock jetting are a 48pilot jet, 1.5turns on the screw. Also I'm pretty certain it wasnt just me, because i let my buddy ride it and he had stalling problem too.

• mlight9

Posted July 04, 2006 - 10:38 AM

I went back to a 45 pilot jet from a 48, seems to be a lot better now that it has warmed up.

• Drfletcherdc

Posted July 04, 2006 - 06:18 PM

:ride: I just went for a ride yesterday and the bike seemed to stall a lot more than the last time i rode it. It would happen after restarting the bike to take off, rolling through a tight turn with the clutch in, and at low engine spped when getting back on the gas. I havent been out in almost a month and the weather was a little cooler then. I am wondering if the jetting could be the problem due to change in temp. Last time out was 80-85deg this time 100. The only changes to the stock jetting are a 48pilot jet, 1.5turns on the screw. Also I'm pretty certain it wasnt just me, because i let my buddy ride it and he had stalling problem too.

I talked to Ty Davis's mechanic and he told me that they run a 45 pilot. Also, maybe drain the tank and add fresh gas after you change the pilot. :ride:

• barch88

Posted July 04, 2006 - 06:59 PM

I myself may change my 48 to a 45, but check your idle screw.

• Blue_White_Rider

Posted July 04, 2006 - 10:27 PM

The bike idles no problem. but i dont think its at the speed the manual calls for(1900-2100rpm) it doesnt sound like it is going that fast. oh yeah the altitude is 2500 to 5000ft. 100 deg 20%humidity

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • barch88

Posted July 04, 2006 - 11:41 PM

I turned my idle screw out as far as I could without it stalling, then it sounded like it was struggling, so I turned it in half a turn or so. I don't know how to tell if it's at the RPM's the manual calls for, thats one tool I don't have. But it sounds strong now.

I don't know about your problem though, what does the bike do when it runs, does it sound like it may die out?

• 116CJ

Posted July 05, 2006 - 03:38 AM

i put an hourmeeter/tach on wich helped me set my idle, i was new to a 4 stroke and stalled it alot till i got it set in the 1900-2100 range. it sounded to me like it was idling high enough but it was only idling at 12-1400.

• Blue_White_Rider

Posted July 05, 2006 - 06:59 AM

Where did you get the hour meter/ tach, and how much

• ben_suhard

Posted July 05, 2006 - 07:05 AM

Yep, grab yourself a tach/hourmeter. It's also real handy for knowing when to do an oil change and valve adjustment.
I'm running a #48 pilot at 2.5 turns out at sea level in the cold(about 16C), and although it'll still pop after chopping the throttle, it's spluttery down low at very low speeds. A #45 should be better for you, I'll probably be going to a #45 when the weather warms up. It's not a bad idea to turn your idle up a bit to help it from stalling if you have to, so that the engine's creating a bit more vacuum to suck the fuel mix through.

• ben_suhard

Posted July 05, 2006 - 07:10 AM

Where did you get the hour meter/ tach, and how much

You can get a Yamaha one, or just search for hourmeter on ebay or the web. I'm using an ENM hour/tachmeter. I bought three coz they had a 50% off sale. I've got one on my pitbike too. I mounted one to the handlebars on my 450 but it only lasted 8hrs before a diode broke off inside, I think it was too rough of a ride there. They sent me a new one free of charge, but this time I mounted it to the frame (so the ride isn't so rough) with velcro strips, it should be ok there.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.