running 05 wr 450 with no electric starter

5 replies to this topic
  • b-rad01

Posted July 03, 2006 - 04:51 PM

had some problems getting parts for my electric start motor, can i still run it with the starter out on the streets or is there some kind of plug you need to cover the hole.

• mtrablue

Posted July 04, 2006 - 04:45 AM

you'll need to plug the hole with something. do a few searches on starter removal. some of the guys were able to get a rubber compression plug from their local auto parts store.

• Frank_z28

Posted July 04, 2006 - 07:20 AM

i run my 03 450 without electric starter atm, the starter is still in place its the switch not working. I didnt get any problem with that yet.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mtrablue

Posted July 04, 2006 - 07:37 AM

frankz28, there's a good chance that the starter motor it self is bad. it will act like a bad switch (push the button and it just clicks or does nothing) but it is in fact, the contacts inside the starter motor. if you leave the motor on, you can take the idler gear (under the small round cover) out to avoid any possible problems.

• Frank_z28

Posted July 04, 2006 - 02:21 PM

in my case its the switch...i ripped it on a rock :ride:

• mtrablue

Posted July 05, 2006 - 02:04 PM

at least you did it riding. most of us have the little plastic part come out of the switch (button) with out any warning. the nice thing is the kill button will plug right in where the starter button plugs in. it beats having to explain to your riding buddies why the e-start doesn't work.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.