TrailTech Vapor user comments

85 replies to this topic
  • steve lemley

Posted January 18, 2007 - 01:14 PM

bambam1, All the rpm sensor does is wrap around your spark plug wire. Thats it. The bolt replaces one of the disk brake bolts and you mount the sensor directly accross from it on the caliper by drilling a small hole in it. Hope that helps but now that i think of it, that all it really says in the instructions to do??? :lol:

• byggd

Posted January 18, 2007 - 03:06 PM

Steve, doesn't the 450 have the coil built directly onto the sparkplug stinger unlike the 02 and earlier that have the coil frame mounted?

• steve lemley

Posted January 21, 2007 - 07:44 AM

Actullay, now that I think about it. You're right.:confused: Sorry. Dont know where it would go then seeing my bike is a 400? Good catch!!!:lol:

• jbrooks26

Posted January 21, 2007 - 08:25 AM

If I understand correctly, the coil and plug boot can be separated on the new 450's. I think you unscrew the boot and wrap it under there somewhere. I am not positive about this, but it is worth a shot. Hope this helps.

Josh

• SXP

Posted January 21, 2007 - 11:02 AM

If I understand correctly, the coil and plug boot can be separated on the new 450's. I think you unscrew the boot and wrap it under there somewhere. I am not positive about this, but it is worth a shot. Hope this helps.

Josh

The boot just slides up and down the body of the plug cap/coil. So, going by the pics in their instructions, slide the boot down, wrap the body of the cap/coil with the provided wire the specified number of times, pull the boot back up to cover the wrapped wire, and you are done.

• TrailTech

Posted January 21, 2007 - 01:41 PM

If you have the "coil built into the spark plug boot", it may be easier to just direct connect the tach wire to the same place the CDI wire comes into the coil.

• SXP

Posted January 21, 2007 - 02:00 PM

If you have the "coil built into the spark plug boot", it may be easier to just direct connect the tach wire to the same place the CDI wire comes into the coil.

Thanks for that. I noticed the provided tach wire in your kit is "two wire". Do I connect both wires to the CDI wire or just one. Thanks.

• bambam1

Posted January 21, 2007 - 02:09 PM

Trailtech could you elaborate a little more on how to hook up the sensor wire to the CDI wire ? I am out of town at the moment and don't have access to my bike at the moment. Are you suggesting to splice into the trigger wire for the coil ? Would this be under the tank somewhere ?

Could someone post a picture of their magnetic wheel sensor install, to me the supplied bolt (with hex head) will stick out too far it I installed it in place of a rotor bolt ? I'm not sure if it is the right bolt or not. I am also curious as to the path to run the wheel speed sensor wire. The manual says to run it with the brake cable but to me it seems that I would have to put some unatural bends in this cable to do this ??

anybody...

• TrailTech

Posted January 22, 2007 - 06:25 PM

Only connect the red wire. One the coil, there is usually a spade connector with a single wire feeding the coil. Pull the spade connector off and put the red tach wire over the male spade. Re-install the connector and your done

• marcoma

Posted January 22, 2007 - 10:27 PM

I wrapped the red around the coil/plug cap and the black to ground. Works just fine.....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • marcoma

Posted January 22, 2007 - 10:39 PM

:lol: I gotta say tho - someone on one of these threads (not sure where) pointed out that the vapor is completely useless on the trail cos you cant see squat. I thought he wuz just being bitter but its soooooo freakin true........ LOL
Still a cool gadget tho :confused:

.....GPS next! :crazy:

• jbrooks26

Posted January 22, 2007 - 11:18 PM

I don't have any trouble seeing mine on the trail at all. Not really too interested in it on the trail though other than maybe checking speed or distance from time to time. It is all in the positioning of it. Mounted near the stock location on my WR would be impossible to see. I mounted it up higher just below the crossbar and toward the head light shroud on my Renthal Twinwalls.

• steve lemley

Posted January 23, 2007 - 09:12 AM

Trailtech builds us an awesome tool that is underpriced in my eyes and you guys are wining about not being able to see it???? Come on guys..... I can see mine fine if you mount it where they recommend. Not to take shots but it really depends on your riding skills and your eye sight not the product. Do you want a huge bulky thing on your bars, I dont. I think its balanced perfect for weight, size, and visability.

• Fullbore4

Posted January 23, 2007 - 11:48 AM

Trailtech builds us an awesome tool that is underpriced in my eyes and you guys are wining about not being able to see it???? Come on guys..... I can see mine fine if you mount it where they recommend. Not to take shots but it really depends on your riding skills and your eye sight not the product. Do you want a huge bulky thing on your bars, I dont. I think its balanced perfect for weight, size, and visability.

ditto......I haven't been on the trail with mine yet but it seems the hot engine warning lights will be worth it alone.....I really have no need for the tach except setting idle.

• marcoma

Posted January 23, 2007 - 12:03 PM

Oh I aint knocking it......just saying that you wouldnt really be able to see any display when bouncing around over trails or whoops. It works just fine on the flatter stuff.

I LOVE the Vapor! :confused:

......thing is, I'm rarely on the flat stuff!:lol:

• jbrooks26

Posted January 23, 2007 - 12:17 PM

Oh I aint knocking it......just saying that you wouldnt really be able to see any display when bouncing around over trails or whoops. It works just fine on the flatter stuff.

I LOVE the Vapor! :confused:

......thing is, I'm rarely on the flat stuff!:lol:

Maybe it is just me, but my bars are the last place I am going to be looking when trying to travers a nasty section of trail.

• gloft

Posted January 23, 2007 - 02:30 PM

Anyone know if the unit will fit in the old TT aluminum case? I have the Panoram with the billet protector and may just have to upgrade!

• byggd

Posted January 23, 2007 - 03:42 PM

I just noticed. Trail Tech bumped the price from $100 to $120 in the past week or so! Oh well, that’s what I get for hesitating I guess. I sent an email to the TT store and to see if they plan on offering the vapor

• TrailTech

Posted January 23, 2007 - 06:45 PM

The older Endurance protectors will not fit Vapor.

• Fullbore4

Posted January 23, 2007 - 10:31 PM

I just noticed. Trail Tech bumped the price from $100 to $120 in the past week or so! Oh well, that’s what I get for hesitating I guess. I sent an email to the TT store and to see if they plan on offering the vapor

I was told the old web site with $100 was for last summer about a month ago.....if you select "buy it" it redirects you to their newer web site and says to pony up $120....believe me I tried to get that old price working.....no cigar.:ride:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.