1st bike in 15 years. 05WR450

12 replies to this topic
  • kmalec

Posted July 03, 2006 - 09:54 AM

Just joined here, picked up a 05Wr450, although I dont have it yet. it will be another week while they instal the baja kit for it. 1st bike in 15 years for me. Last one was a 1987 YZ 250. I rode my buddys WR last week and loved it. Ok, anyway. need some advace. I want to make it a little noisy, havent heard a 4 stroke, I thought it was a joke at first. Can i remove somthing without compromising performance? Also, whats the Grey wire and where is it! Also, th eairbox, where and what do i do to remove it, anything goes in its place? Remeber, 15 years!

Newbe

• MXJunky

Posted July 03, 2006 - 10:02 AM

THe grey wire that you seek is under the gas tank. Use the search function and you should find some pictures of it. You don't want to remove your airbox. There are little cut outs on the right side that you can chop and that'll give you more air flow.

• kmalec

Posted July 03, 2006 - 10:09 AM

Thanks man.

• Thumper_Bloke

Posted July 03, 2006 - 10:12 AM

Please dont make it noisy. There's very little performance to gain from making it loud, and all you do is make everyone mad.

• kmalec

Posted July 03, 2006 - 10:25 AM

I just miss the sound of the old two stroke yz. But also want to run it on the road of I need to. I guess I will lay down with this one and grow up.

• woodsk

Posted July 03, 2006 - 10:36 AM

check out www.thumperfaq.com

Lots of info here that is generic to the WR250/400/426/450. especially the free mods.

welcome aboard, and just remember all a loud bike does is annoy folks enough to get them try to shut down riding areas.

Ride Stealth

Kerry

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 00YZ426FMRCD

Posted July 03, 2006 - 12:54 PM

Welcome to TT. A couple of links to help:

http://www.thumperta...2005 WR450 MODS

http://www.yamahaacc...22_0_All_1.aspx

• bluebike1999

Posted July 03, 2006 - 02:11 PM

THe grey wire that you seek is under the gas tank. Use the search function and you should find some pictures of it. You don't want to remove your airbox. There are little cut outs on the right side that you can chop and that'll give you more air flow.

junky you can be serious and helpful..........
well i'll be buggered.

kmalec
you will love your wr, there is a bit of your old yz in it and a bit of an xr600 in it, in fact there is a bit of every decent dirt bike in it, versatility plus.
enjoy it, once you get to know it, it will still get better as you get better with it.
have fun

• Tilson51

Posted July 03, 2006 - 02:15 PM

get an AIS removal kit i remember some guy was telling a story on here and he said that once he did the AIS removal kit he could beat a honda XR650

• JimdogWR450

Posted July 04, 2006 - 12:10 AM

Allot has changed in 15 years Kmalec, being loud isn't cool anymore. You can be quiet and fast these days. Check the 2 stickies at the top of this forum, you will find all the free mod info you are looking for. After reading all the info, check your bike to see that it hasn't already been modded {before you start ordering all the goodies} Have fun on your new ride its a great bike...

• ARin

Posted July 04, 2006 - 12:17 AM

i find it funny that the "ride stealth" page has some verbage on the DrD pipes...considering my DrD full system was the loudest spark arrested pipe i had ever heard on a 4 stroke.

• kmalec

Posted July 04, 2006 - 06:59 PM

thanks guys, i will leave the exhuast alone, you make very good points. My artic Cat Zr 900 is alos pretty quiet and i like that. Im looking forward to many over night jaunts on this bike. First trip will be from Houghton Lake, MI to Bay Mills in the UP of Michigan. I cant wait. Anyone from MI? Know of some good riding from Hope, MI area? Im on Wixom Lake.

• face_plant

Posted July 05, 2006 - 08:08 AM

the wr kinda reminds me of the 1982 kdx 250 2 stroke ) it came stock with a grapefruit shooter. really deep.

anyway i have the big gun on the 05 450 but i am gonna keep the baffle in it. the ride stealth stuff is "mostly" in the flat terrains where sound carries 20 miles with a 4s

i ride in the hills mountains and strip mines so if i loose my buddys i can always follow the sound

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.