Plated WR ?

9 replies to this topic
  • pkcof

Posted July 03, 2006 - 02:42 AM

Just out of curiosity ... is it really that hard to get a WR 'plated' in the US of A.
In Australia the WR's have been coming over here for years with a compliance plate and ADR (Australian Design Rules) specifications.
Anyone can walk into a dealer (with enough cash) and just ride one away fully legal.
They come complete with Headlight (high and low beam), Tail-light, Brake light (operated by front and back brakes), indicators, horn, mirror, keyed ignition, DOT Tyres and a quiet exhaust.
I'm sure that Yamaha Australia have done their homework and found that they would sell very few of these things if it was a 'red sticker' item in Australia. How many more would they sell in the USA if it was 'green' ?
Husky's, KTM's, Suzuki's and Honda's are the same story - even 2 strokes are no problem and the KTM 300 is a big seller here (and rightly so)
Is there some reason that Yamaha does not (want to) comply ?

• Drunken Monkey

Posted July 03, 2006 - 03:09 AM

Cut throat pricing? They get their bikes way cheaper than us!

The USA pricing for new '07 wr is US$7,199 or $9,600 Australian.

The USA pricing for the '06 WR450 was US$6799 (AU$9065) and Australin pricing was $11,999!

Still funny to read that they think Husqvarna good bikes!!!

• chivobones

Posted July 06, 2006 - 08:58 AM

I just got my bike plated in California. Currently the thread is a couple behind this one but here is the link:

http://www.thumperta...29&parentpage=4

• RichBaker

Posted July 06, 2006 - 08:20 PM

Nope, it's mainly Kalifornia and a (very) few other states...I walked into Arizona DMV with the offroad plate, which isn't street-legal, paid a fee and walked out with a street-legal plate. They don't even inspect for brake/license plate lights, horn or any other street equipment....

• chivobones

Posted July 07, 2006 - 11:41 AM

:ride: ARIZONA rocks! Most things in that state are run the way they should be...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ripmeister

Posted July 07, 2006 - 08:27 PM

:ride: ARIZONA rocks! Most things in that state are run the way they should be...

Amen. Utah's not too bad either. Horn, lights, cursory inspection - good to go. :ride:

• coffee

Posted July 09, 2006 - 10:02 PM

Cut throat pricing? They get their bikes way cheaper than us!

The USA pricing for new '07 wr is US$7,199 or $9,600 Australian.

The USA pricing for the '06 WR450 was US$6799 (AU$9065) and Australin pricing was $11,999!

Still funny to read that they think Husqvarna good bikes!!!

1 USD = 1.33 AUD as of July 10th 2006.
$7199 US x 1.33 = $9574 AUS so $9600 AUD seems about right to me.

This is about the 2nd or 3rd time someone from Australia said something disparaging regarding Husky (one maybe 1 person said it 3 times?) - what problems are the huskys having over there?

• baha

Posted July 09, 2006 - 10:26 PM

When I bought mine new they said they could plate it for 600 dollars, they installed the kit and did the DMV inspection and I walked out the door with a street legal WR 450 with dirt tires.

I asked two cop friend if they would pull it over and they both said they would only for infractions of the driving-not the bike itself.

I have seen in the supermotard forms that huskys have some serious problems.

• AHRMA17L

Posted July 10, 2006 - 03:32 PM

Just out of curiosity ... is it really that hard to get a WR 'plated' in the US of A.

I solely depends on the State. It is like having to deal with 50 little individual countries. Technically is is illegal in every state die to federal emissions and safety requirements, however, enforcement is up to the individual state. there is an unbelievable lack of consistency.

Places like California, New Mexico, and Washington are virtually impossible. Others like Idaho and Colorado are as easy as simply paying to fee.

Hell, some states won't even title a dirt bike, making it impossible to ever license it. New Jersey was like this until recently.

• b-rad01

Posted July 10, 2006 - 04:50 PM

I bought my 05 wr 450 in new brunswick canada and they put a street legal plate on it and told me to get the stuff or risk gettin busted. All i had to do was put a mirror, speedo,brake light,horn and d.o.t approved tires on and i was legal. No big deal Gotta love Canada!!!!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.