No Spark

8 replies to this topic

Posted July 02, 2006 - 09:12 PM

I am working on a friends old bike and it has no spark. Is the stator the first place you would look? Can a stator be tested?

Posted July 03, 2006 - 11:23 AM

Not all at once please!

• Thumper_Bloke

Posted July 03, 2006 - 12:28 PM

What year and model is the bike? These may help us give advice.

• clark4131

Posted July 03, 2006 - 01:20 PM

Work from the spark plug back...plug wire, coil, etc. The cause will rear its ugly head...BTW, clear out your PM storage, you're full...SC

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bluebike1999

Posted July 03, 2006 - 02:45 PM

can you explain what you have done or checked so far.
as it is a process of elimination, as clark said.

in all petrol motors i've ever had i have never had a plug issue, but my 400 went through 4 plugs in less than 1500 k's.
i could not see spark at all from the plugs, so i put in a new one and away it goes.
i put an iridium plug in about 2000k's ago, no problem since.
try the cheap stuff first.
good luck

• Dodjy

Posted July 03, 2006 - 06:26 PM

Work your way back from the plug. The stator would be the last place I would look. Plug - coil - low tension circuit - stator.

Posted July 03, 2006 - 08:26 PM

Cleared the PM box Clark. I will start with the plug and check from there. I may start by cracking the case and looking at the condition of the stator. If there are burns I will know.

• mtrablue

Posted July 04, 2006 - 04:36 AM

don't forget to check the kill button and it's wires.

• trailriderjoe

Posted July 04, 2006 - 05:32 PM

Here's how I'd attack it.

Again...Specific information would make our support a lot less VAGUE

1. Plug
2. Wire termination end at plug
3. KILL SWITCH (when in doubt unplug it completely)
4. Plug wire termination at coil
5. Coil resistance
6. Ignition module
7. Stator supply
8. Ignition trigger

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.