BRP-decent dual sport?

There's a guy here in town selling a 2000 XR650R that's had a few bolt on mods & a Baja Designs DS kit. Having owned an XR650L I always thought to R would be a great DS ride, figuring if they race them @ Baja they must hold up pretty well & should hold freeway speeds OK. He's asking $3,750 but it has some spendy excell rims, rear Talon hub, WB exhaust, oversize front rotor & IMS tank. I have come close to buying a new DS due to recent restrictions making dirt bikes street legal in WA. But one already done is OK. Will look at the bike tomorrow to verify the condition. Any input?

I love mine, it's fun no matter where you ride it... road or bush.

I ride mine to work every day and dirty it up on the weekends.

The only thing is tires, it eats them up in a 1000 miles (or less)

if you're heavy handed, so you'll end up having to use Kings like

these, they get about 2K miles with lots of abuse but don't

handle the dirt as well as a "real" tire:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/item.aspx?style=5000&department=647&division=6#

but still, they are a good compromise.

buy it, it's a gas. :ride:

Milage depends on gearing and jetting, I run 15/45 and get 54 city (it's just above idle at 50 mph) and around 44 to 48 hiway geared to cruise allday at 70 to 75 without revving much. The seat is the only complaint I have, arse gets sore after 50 miles.

Holy freakin' smackies! Just went for a test drive. Most fun on the road I've had. WAY more power than my old XR650L. All it needs in a 15t CS sprocket & I'm good to go. The seller is asking $3,750. He is also throwing in a new speedo & a bunch of extra stuff. I would haggle on the price a bit more but the bike is spotless, has no play in the rear supsension & the Excell gold rims & rear Talon hub are brand new-wheel bearings, spacers & all. Plus he seems firm on the price & I know he's losing $ with the stuff he's added. Should own it tonight! WEEEEEEEE!

Holy freakin' smackies! Just went for a test drive. Most fun on the road I've had. WAY more power than my old XR650L. All it needs in a 15t CS sprocket & I'm good to go. The seller is asking $3,750. He is also throwing in a new speedo & a bunch of extra stuff. I would haggle on the price a bit more but the bike is spotless, has no play in the rear supsension & the Excell gold rims & rear Talon hub are brand new-wheel bearings, spacers & all. Plus he seems firm on the price & I know he's losing $ with the stuff he's added. Should own it tonight! WEEEEEEEE!

BRP Struck :ride:

Aother XR650L owner has seen the light! :ride::ride::ride:

Good work, now help convert the rest of the non-believers......... :banana:

Brought the BRP home this evening after 30mi ride despite trail gearing. 14/45 is OK in town but really needs longer legs for highway use. From what the seller told be its impossible to legalize any Japanese dirt bike in Washington later than '02 as after that the title sais "off road use only". This is the DS ride I thought I'd be unable to own. I didn't find it that hard to start-even with my sneakers on. I'm not sure but the compression release doesn't seem all that necessary. I have to admit I wouldn't mind an easy button but considering the performance of this bike I won't complain, even on 95 degree days like today. I still have to figure out the cold start routine but I'm confident it's here on the forum somewhere. I remember reading one about removing a little plate on the choke plate that helps. I've read a lot about switching carbs but I'm pleased with the bike as it is. It's obviously been jetted well by the previous owner. Pops a little on deceleration. The guy I bought it from put the backfire screen back in as he said it ran a little lean without it. Would removing it & rejetting make that much difference?

I'll try those tires next. Currently it has new Pirelli MT21s on it. I'll see how they hold up. I've never gotten more than 1,000 mi. on dirt oriented tires on a DS. Can't imagine doing any better with this one with the HP it has! I may even revert back to a more street oriented tire later. We'll see. Since I'm regearing I thought I'd go with one of those stainless Sidewinder sprockets. The aluminum one on it now won't last long.

Milage depends on gearing and jetting, I run 15/45 and get 54 city (it's just above idle at 50 mph) and around 44 to 48 hiway geared to cruise allday at 70 to 75 without revving much. The seat is the only complaint I have, arse gets sore after 50 miles.
Sweet Cheeks

I'll try those tires next. Currently it has new Pirelli MT21s on it. I'll see how they hold up. I've never gotten more than 1,000 mi. on dirt oriented tires on a DS. Can't imagine doing any better with this one with the HP it has! I may even revert back to a more street oriented tire later. We'll see. Since I'm regearing I thought I'd go with one of those stainless Sidewinder sprockets. The aluminum one on it now won't last long.

Try this one too.

http://www.michelinsport.com/sport/actualites/en/act_affich.jsp?news_id=2938〈=EN&codeRubrique=74&nomPage=Rallye%20Raids%20News

The Michelin Desert you will expect near 2,000 out of it, at around 1,000 its just about beat, but they last.

The Dunlop rally Raid is a new tire, expect 4,500 out of it.

They work better than your street orientated tire will, as in traction.

These both tires are made for dirt and endurance type races.

So there a race tire if that makes any difference.

i have a 650l but if i could plate a 650r in ny I would in a heartbeat!my friend has a 95 xr600 and that thing is much better than my L.
That's the dilemma. The L is a dualsport out of the box, and the R isn't. You have to make it one...despite the bike being an excellent D/S basis. At least in North America Honda still puts the onus on the customer to do all the work here...not just the mechanical upgrade but dealing with the bureaucratic runaround. Perhaps they'll come through in it's next incarnation when replaced by a CRF600X in the "pure dirt" role?

I know I've posted this elsewhere but after owning a XR650L, a KLX650 (not a KLR!) and multiple 2 smoke dirt bikes I cannot conceive of a better compromise than the XRR I just purchased. Both the previous 650s were simply too underpowered & too expensive to modify. I nearly purchased a new DRZ400S but found the cost of modifying it for more HP cost prohibitive. None of the used DRZs I looked at had the mods done that I wanted. Then I found this XRR already street legalized, rode it I found it to be ideal. Yes I've got a few more things to do to it, but they're relatively cheap (gearing & a better way to mount the lic. plate as it's currently mounted sideways on the fender). Other than that I'll just ride the crap out of it. In Wa the lic. plate has to be iluminated. Looking for a way to do this-any suggestions would be appreciated. By the way I got to ride an XRL & a KLX650 side by side last year & found them to by very comparable in performance. The greatest difference was that the seat hight on the KLX was lower. I'm surprixed the KLX did not prove more popular here in the states. I found it to be very reliable. I had 20,000 mi on it with no problems at all. Still all in all it was too soft & underpowered for my liking. I've got some leftover parts from the KLX I'm ready to sell. I'll go see what's there some time this week. I know for sure that I have the passenger pegs, a rear sprocket and some other misc stuff. If anyone's interested put it on this thread & I'll see what I can do. I have little experience with selling over the internet so be patient. My son can help me with pics.