Exciter coil XR600 '89

4 replies to this topic
  • lfs

Posted July 02, 2006 - 01:09 AM

I own since a few months a '89 Xr600. From the start i have a problem starting it, and sometimes it just stops running and if the engine is hot it's even harder to bring it back alive again. I measured the exciter resistance, and it showed 130 Ohm. I bought a second hand complete stator and installed it. Now it refuses the start. I measured the new coil and it shows 178 Ohm. The AC voltage i read when kicking is only 30 VAC. I also have a very weak spark. The readings from the ignition coil primary and secondary are OK. Is it possible i have the wrong type exciter coil, and what AC voltage should i read when kicking.
Thanks in advance,

Louk Seton :ride:

• XR6's_rule

Posted July 02, 2006 - 02:32 AM

It sounds as if your stator is toast as well. The '96 XR6 that I own has blown a stator, and with previous experience with these bikes, I have found that anything lower than 60V ac will not deliver a strong spark. When you are checking that voltage are you kicking the bike over hard?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • lfs

Posted July 02, 2006 - 02:51 AM

When measuring i took out the spark plug and kick it as hard as i can. I tried it several times and the maximum voltage measured at the black/red wire disconnected from the cdi unit is 30 VAC

• XR250rdr

Posted July 02, 2006 - 10:07 AM

Exciter coil failure is a common problem on the older XRs especially the XR6. There are replacement stators available, usually complete with high output lighting coils, for much cheaper than an OEM unit. It is possible to rewind it yourself too, see www.justxr.com for some more info.

• XR6's_rule

Posted July 03, 2006 - 03:44 AM

I got another stator (good one) for my '96 XR6 today. At cranking speed it was putting out 40-60V dc at the black/red wire (exciter coils). The other test i did was to make sure that the coil was recieving proper voltage. My new stator offered around 20-30V ac at the black/yellow wire (positive) going to the coil. My ignition system is now fine. I guess if you pass these tests you could blame your coil. If it only passes the stator test you would blame the cdi unit or pickup coil. Good luck!

Related Content

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  57 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  40 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.