Stuck throttle (just once)

10 replies to this topic
  • Goosedog

Posted July 01, 2006 - 07:10 PM

The last time I rode my '02 426 the throttle stuck open and I almost wadded up by missing a turn in the woods. As it was happening I tried to force it back down a couple times while in panic mode and it wouldn't budge until about the third attempt. Then it releases, goes back to normal and was fine the rest of the day.

I figured if the cause was grit in the cable sheath then the problem would persist. Or, if it was a worn-out cable it would have broken. What else could cause a one time incident like that?

• 02YZ426

Posted July 01, 2006 - 07:14 PM

Maybe some crap under your throttle tube? I would take it all apart and clean it all up just to be safe. Check the cable is binding up anywhere and see that its moving ok in the sheaving. Also inspect the linkage at the carb for proper function. Its just safer to check it all, the alternative is much worse if it sticks again.

• Motocross26

Posted July 01, 2006 - 07:15 PM

Maybe some dirt got past your air-filter and jammed up your slide briefly?

• Goosedog

Posted July 01, 2006 - 07:22 PM

Maybe some dirt got past your air-filter and jammed up your slide briefly?

That's what I'm thinking because now when I blip the throttle with the bike not running and my ear next to the carb it all sounds (and feels) smooth as silk. I should probably check it all just to be sure.

• ben_suhard

Posted July 02, 2006 - 05:14 AM

The last time I rode my '02 426 the throttle stuck open and I almost wadded up by missing a turn in the woods. As it was happening I tried to force it back down a couple times while in panic mode and it wouldn't budge until about the third attempt. Then it releases, goes back to normal and was fine the rest of the day.

I figured if the cause was grit in the cable sheath then the problem would persist. Or, if it was a worn-out cable it would have broken. What else could cause a one time incident like that?

This may not be your problem because you're on a four-stroke, but a few years ago(can't remember exactly what year), the throttle assemblies on the YZ250's were a bad design, and the cable would jam and hold the carby open. That's how Jeff Emig broke his back at Glen Helen, the throttle stuck open going up a jump.
Have you checked the cables at the carby lately? They can fray and should be checked regularly. You just need to take the plastic side (pully)cover off the carby to check them.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • new2blu

Posted July 02, 2006 - 07:29 AM

Mark,
I was in an OHV club when I lived up north; the President of the club had this happen to him just before going off a jump--he was pretty broken up. Found out later that his throttle cable was damaged which caused his crash.
I would HIGHLY suggest replacing both cables and cleaning the throttle tube and cleaning/inspecting the carb linkage for any issues.

• kid on a 426

Posted July 02, 2006 - 09:11 PM

I agree with all the maintenance and cable tips everyone else is saying. But some advice is if it sticks again stab the back brakes as hard as you possibly can(and hang on for dear life) or hit the kill switch(that doesn't always work though) or even pull in the clutch(not good for the engine)

• SureBlue

Posted July 03, 2006 - 07:08 PM

I wouldn't worry about it if it happened just once... :ride: :ride:

• Goosedog

Posted July 04, 2006 - 04:18 AM

I wouldn't worry about it if it happened just once... :ride: :ride:

My point being why would it happen only (one) time and then feel smooth afterward. I would think that grit or a frayed cable would continue to feel rough or sticky. I'm gonna be breaking it down later this week. :ride:

• SureBlue

Posted July 06, 2006 - 11:17 AM

My point being why would it happen only (one) time and then feel smooth afterward. I would think that grit or a frayed cable would continue to feel rough or sticky. I'm gonna be breaking it down later this week. :ride:

yea, Goose, my sarcastic reply really ment one time is one time too many. Hopefully you won't get that unpleasant surprise ever again.

• Goosedog

Posted July 06, 2006 - 05:39 PM

Hopefully you won't get that unpleasant surprise ever again.

No kidding....scared the crap outta me. :ride:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Should I buy this bike? help....... by Numsa Hul

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 10 replies
Forums
Photo

05 yz450f not fast enough by RedeyeYZ

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  38 replies
Forums
Photo

BIGBORE FOR YZ450F 2006? by Taattie94

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.