is this slack normal?

5 replies to this topic
  • hedpi

Posted July 01, 2006 - 07:58 AM

I'm trying to find the cause of an engine noise i have, and while going to check if it was the CB key, i found that it wasnt it, because it doesn't have any slack..but the balancer does have some slack.. i think it is normal but i don't know where else to look for the engine noise :ride:

p.s.: here is the video.. you have to turn up the sound to "hear" the slack

---- >download<----

• jbrooks26

Posted July 01, 2006 - 08:06 AM

I don't know for sure, but that would be suspect to me also. Sorry for the useless post, but I would like to know if that is normal too.

Josh

• aford541

Posted July 01, 2006 - 08:14 AM

I'm trying to find the cause of an engine noise i have, and while going to check if it was the CB key, i found that it wasnt it, because it doesn't have any slack..but the balancer does have some slack.. i think it is normal but i don't know where else to look for the engine noise :ride:

p.s.: here is the video.. you have to turn up the sound to "hear" the slack

---- >download<----

It seems like it it is not excessive but it is hard to tell for sure. Oil will take up some of that lash.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dr250andrew

Posted July 01, 2006 - 08:29 AM

I just had that problem in my 02 426 and was doing that same thing you were in the video, and you can hear that same noise when its running. it drives me nuts so i put new gears in and it makes the same noise. I think its just a normal noise and shouldnt woory about it. I also change my oil a few days ago and found alot metal particles in a every grove of my oil filter. and some were magnetic so i dont know if it was my clutch or not.

Your going to have to learn to ignore that noise, thats what i did.

• hedpi

Posted July 01, 2006 - 01:43 PM

just to confirm... the timing is correct right?

Posted Image
Posted Image

• flipsoft

Posted July 01, 2006 - 03:00 PM

I think you need to go one more notch on both sides. There should be a total of 8 links starting at point the ones the divits are on. There should be 14 pins in between them. You have 12 pins in your picture.

Take a look at the 450 cam mod instructions and it shows how they should look.

-flipsoft

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Should I buy this bike? help....... by Numsa Hul

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 10 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Wilson the Blue Privateer by jetfuel

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  50 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.