2001 426 runs like crap need help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13 replies to this topic
  • byw

Posted July 01, 2006 - 05:16 AM

I've been having plug fouling problems on my 426 since I bought it.I think I bought someone's problem child.Anyway checked out all the electric stuff and the coil was the only thing to not check out perfect so I replaced the coil with a stick coil from an R-1.Bike now runs great but when it gets hot and it stalls or you shut it off it will not start until it cools off.Also I have a Trail Tech computer (lynx) and it is wired in per their intructions.Wired to a hot wire which runs the lights on the computer.When riding it yesterday I noticed the lights would flash on and off flicker get bright and dim go off completely come back on etc.This is leading me to think my stator is bad.What do you guys.Thanks

• shanedut

Posted July 01, 2006 - 09:08 AM

Your stator could be going bad. But i would also suspect some jetting issues with your bike if your having problems starting it after its been hot and seeing how your fouling plugs. I would say your too rich on the pilot jet but you might be able to help it out with adjusting the fuel screw.

• byw

Posted July 02, 2006 - 06:11 AM

Yesterday I tore it apart pulled plug and this was the first plug that was not dry and sooty.This one was black and wet.So I cleaned my carb.Turned in the fuel screw a 1/4 turn.Have not yet rode it.Maybe I can get this thing to run right yet.I really like that stick coil though really looks trick cleans up the right side.

• felix4x4

Posted July 02, 2006 - 07:27 AM

Dont forget the big red hot start button on the carb. My 426 has hot starting issues sometimes also. Its really bad if I am track riding and kill it coming out of a corner. Pull the hot start and it fires right up.

For the Lynx computer did you happen to use those snap together conectors? If so did you put silicon dielectric grease inside the connectors. You could just be getting moisture in the wire and causing it to act funky.

• byw

Posted July 03, 2006 - 06:40 AM

I always use the hot start button.I rode it yesterday for a about 2 miles after cleaning carb again.Ran good still kind of pops if reved up to about 3k-4k in neutral or clutch pulled in.I pulled up to garage and shut it off.Won't fire for nothing.You can kick till your leg falls off.I let it cool for 30 min.Went out 2nd kick fired right up.So what is getting hot and not working I've never owned any thing more :ride: :p :ride: :banana: then this bike.I'm chasing my tail right now someone some where must know or have an idea where to look or what to replace . In need help ready to do this to the bike. :ride: Thanks

• LVThumper

Posted July 03, 2006 - 10:58 AM

Someone please chime in!! I am having almost the same issue! Mine will start cold, 1-3 kicks, but after running for a whils, it will stall out and act like it is flooded?? The jetting seams to be spot on, and I have changed the plug (just in case) and it still happens?? I am thinking my floats might be stuck, or the valves might be out of tolerance. I will check those tonight, but this thing is really starting to frustrate me!! :p :ride: :ride: :ride:

When it's running, it is a kick in the pants, but this dying and sitting on the trail for 5-20 min sucks!!! :banana:

• byw

Posted July 03, 2006 - 11:42 AM

I also already checked my valves 2 weeks ago and all were in spec.New coil also installed.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Satch0922

Posted July 03, 2006 - 04:24 PM

Clean the carb (you have done it) and jet it properly. Just because you bought a used bike does not mean it is jetting right.....probably why the guy sold it to begin with.

• SureBlue

Posted July 03, 2006 - 04:34 PM

I always use the hot start button.I rode it yesterday for a about 2 miles after cleaning carb again.Ran good still kind of pops if reved up to about 3k-4k in neutral or clutch pulled in.I pulled up to garage and shut it off.Won't fire for nothing.You can kick till your leg falls off.I let it cool for 30 min.Went out 2nd kick fired right up.So what is getting hot and not working I've never owned any thing more :ride: :p :ride: :banana: then this bike.I'm chasing my tail right now someone some where must know or have an idea where to look or what to replace . In need help ready to do this to the bike. :ride: Thanks

A warm bike will not start if the idle is set too low. Raise it and keep it elevated and it won't even stall that easy. Simple as that.

• GreenKLX

Posted July 03, 2006 - 05:30 PM

I always use the hot start button.I rode it yesterday for a about 2 miles after cleaning carb again.Ran good still kind of pops if reved up to about 3k-4k in neutral or clutch pulled in.I pulled up to garage and shut it off.Won't fire for nothing.You can kick till your leg falls off.I let it cool for 30 min.Went out 2nd kick fired right up.So what is getting hot and not working I've never owned any thing more then this bike.I'm chasing my tail right now someone some where must know or have an idea where to look or what to replace . In need help ready to do this to the bike. Thanks

I had the same problem with my 426 that I just recently bought. The high revs when the clutch is pulled in is called a hanging idle. It is from a lean pilot circuit. I would ask Eddie for help in the jetting forum. :ride:

• SureBlue

Posted July 03, 2006 - 06:30 PM

I had the same problem with my 426 that I just recently bought. The high revs when the clutch is pulled in is called a hanging idle. It is from a lean pilot circuit. I would ask Eddie for help in the jetting forum. :ride:

I don't think he wants to tell us the bike has hanging idle

Ran good still kind of pops if reved up to about 3k-4k in neutral or clutch pulled in.

• byw

Posted July 04, 2006 - 04:53 AM

Your right SureBlue no hanging idle.Runs rough when reved up to 3-4 k.Sounds like an electrical miss almost.Jetting is all stock 100% 162 mj 42 pj.Needle on 3 rd clip.I will clean the carb again.Anyone have any jetting reccomondations for Michigan.Looking at the chart stock looks pretty good.

• Eddie Sisneros

Posted July 04, 2006 - 04:56 AM

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=327405

• byw

Posted July 05, 2006 - 05:01 AM

I took out carb tore it completely down put it all back together.Still does the same thing will run and run okay reved up but as soon as you shut it off or stall it when hot.It will not fire back up.Also I can turn in my fuel screw all the way and it does not change the idle one bit.I did not ride with fuel screw turned in all the way started to puke water so I shut it down.High idle had no effect on starting when hot.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.