Not your every day oil thread!!!

4 replies to this topic
  • Assassin

Posted June 30, 2006 - 11:40 PM

I know my oils, but I wanted to know if anyone experimented with different oil weights?

Which would have the best cooling effect? I am sure the lightest weights will make more power, but using "radiator" theory (more flow against hot part, cooler it is), would it also make your bike run the coolest?

I have seen that two2cool stuff, but I don't want to use it because I don't know what it is? Heat is from friction, so it must be a friction modifier, right?

• Drunken Monkey

Posted July 01, 2006 - 06:05 AM

I have tried different weights, but I couldn't really tell any difference in heat?

I have had great success with PWR oversize radiators and engine ice coolant to keep my bike cool.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted July 01, 2006 - 07:23 AM

Heat is from friction,

Most heat is the result of burning fuel. Other than in the clutch, friction isn't a major contributor.

Oil doesn't make a very good coolant because heat doesn't move through it well compared to other fluids. Only the oil that actually touches a hot part absorbs much heat, and only the oil that actually touches the surface of an oil cooler will give much of it up. I doubt that viscosity would contribute much to cooling, and in fact, it could be the reverse of your assumption. Note that oil spray is sometimes used to cool the piston. In this setup, oil is constantly being replaced by new, cooler oil, and the increase in flow that would result from a lower viscosity would probably increase cooling, rather than reduce it.

• aford541

Posted July 01, 2006 - 07:30 AM

One of the 250F factory supported teams did a test on a dyno with temparature probes in the oil and coolant.
Moutul synthetic oil made the most power and produced the lowest temparatures of the oils they tested.

• Assassin

Posted July 01, 2006 - 08:39 PM

Thanks grey, thanks aford, thanks monkey!

I actually use the motul 7100 synthetic, I can't afford the 300v!

You guy's might know, does the weight of the oil have any effect on the life of the oil?
Or is that more to do with synthetic - non synthetic?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.