650r won't start

6 replies to this topic
  • texrick

Posted June 30, 2006 - 07:00 PM

Changed the jets to 175 and 68s as recommended. Moved the clip to the 4th position on needle. All done today. Already has larger can outlet from previous owner. I've kicked that SOB until I got cramps. Waited awhile, tried again. Pulled the plug, drained the carb, still nothing. Tons of gas, good spark. Even tapped the side of the carb in the event of a stuck float. Always started within two to three kicks cold before today. Any recommendations? Guess I'm going to have to disassemble it again.

• Ramcc4x4

Posted June 30, 2006 - 07:38 PM

Here are some things to look at (don't be offended but these weren't mentioned in your post):

Has the restricted intake manifold been replaced with the HRC intake or been modified?

Has the rubber snorkel and plastic plate been removed from the airbox?

Does the throttle seem to have its complete range of motion?

Did you change the pilot setting on the carb?

Does the bike seem like it's flooded? Does it pop at all when you kick it?

• texrick

Posted June 30, 2006 - 07:58 PM

Here are some things to look at (don't be offended but these weren't mentioned in your post):

Has the restricted intake manifold been replaced with the HRC intake or been modified? Yes

Has the rubber snorkel and plastic plate been removed from the airbox? Yes

Does the throttle seem to have its complete range of motion? Yes

Did you change the pilot setting on the carb? About 1 3/4 turns out

Does the bike seem like it's flooded? Does it pop at all when you kick it? Possible. Almost seemed to want to fire up a couple of times.

I'll pull the carb in the morning and re-check everything.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 767driver

Posted June 30, 2006 - 08:06 PM

Texrick:

I sent you a pm about this, but in case you haven't seen it, just check your idle setting before you tear the bike down again. Dollars to doughnuts thats the problem.

• texrick

Posted July 01, 2006 - 08:53 AM

Got your pm 767. Sent one back.

Fiddled with it this morning. Removed, and re-assembled the carb. Didn't find anything wrong. Put it all together and finally got it running. Still don't know what the problem was. Guess it's irrelevent now. Of course it just started pouring down rain here so the full-on test ride wiill have to wait a bit.
Thanks all.

• BigBoreRacing

Posted July 01, 2006 - 09:11 AM

Did you turn the idle screw at all?..I had that problem after I did all the mods..just had to turn the idle up a touch.

• wickedsprint

Posted July 02, 2006 - 06:42 PM

As others have pointed out, if the idle setting is too low they can be a bastard to start, if it doe snot lightoff within a couple of kicks always try giving it a hair of throttle..usually does the trick, especially on hot engines.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  186 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 4 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.