Dumb ass question????

7 replies to this topic
  • 2012 450 xc-w

Posted June 30, 2006 - 06:47 PM

Overfilled my oil by a few cc's. Pulled oilcheck bolt, very little oil seemed to come out (just dripping lightly). Still reading high on stick. What are the ramifications of running a little too much oil in bike? 06yz450

• barch88

Posted June 30, 2006 - 06:57 PM

Did you let it warm up before you checked it and drained it?

• 2012 450 xc-w

Posted June 30, 2006 - 07:13 PM

big 10/4 on that

• barch88

Posted June 30, 2006 - 07:17 PM

I myself say run it, if it's overfilled too much it should come out of the overfill hose, assuming your sure you didn't overfill it A LOT. I overfilled my oil last oil change, didn't even notice till I just changed my oil the other day, it seemed fine when I was running it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 2012 450 xc-w

Posted June 30, 2006 - 07:32 PM

's what I thought. Put in the reccomended 1.0L of oil and changed filter. Seems to be overfilled though. Haven't had this prob before.

• barch88

Posted June 30, 2006 - 08:04 PM

It's 1.27 with the Filter change. Check out my OIL thread, someone helped me out on how to figure out how much oil I exactly need.

• grayracer513

Posted July 01, 2006 - 07:29 AM

In order for the overfill drain bolt to function as designed, you need to run the engine long enough to purge the sump, then let it sit for 10 minutes or so to let the excess run back from the reservoir. It may not entirely eliminate an overfill all the way down to the line on the stick, but once done, this procedure will get it to an operable level.

• ben_suhard

Posted July 01, 2006 - 07:52 AM

Overfilled my oil by a few cc's. Pulled oilcheck bolt, very little oil seemed to come out (just dripping lightly). Still reading high on stick. What are the ramifications of running a little too much oil in bike? 06yz450

Running too much oil puts undue stress(from the higher pressure coz of less air space) on the engine components.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.