Steel Framed Purists Unite!...A bit of an editorial

139 replies to this topic
  • clark4131

Posted June 30, 2006 - 05:08 PM

Since the introduction of the '07 WR with the tin foil frame, it seems the yahoo's have come out of the woodwork...loud-mouthed, 20-something's with single or double digit post counts that barely know a Unabiker from a Quickshot. I've seen untold numbers of duplicate posts about fuel screws, free mods, leak jets and AIS musings, but nary a single sentence about how someone had searched the archives or even glanced at their factory manual. But, I guess this is just par for the course these days, self reliance and personal initiative have evidently gone the way of the dodo. God forbid one of these folks is more than 5 miles from their Escalade when their bike craps out and their cellphone is out of service range.

At the risk of climbing onto my soap box, once again, as one who has spent countless hours researching both on the net and at the workbench using both brain and hands, I'm disgusted with this new generation. It's as if MTV and Moutain Dew have written their life's guidebook and have thrown in a healthy helping of Britney Spears' IQ to boot.

Take for example, the recent debate on the new WR. Here we have a bunch of people saying it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, yet not a single person on either side of the issue has even smelled one yet, let alone test rode. There is no empirical evidence one way or the other, and to laud it's superiority over past models is simply the hallmark of a poseur. But then again, poseurs are what most of the new generation aspires to be, so why am I surprised?

I have been riding motorcycles of all types for over 27 years. I've bought, sold, modified, broken and repaired close to 20 bikes in that time with every major brand represented in that group, save Harley Davidson . I've ridden a CRF-R, CRF-X, and all three generations of WR's (400, 426, 450) in a 48-hour period in varied terrain, just so I could get a feel for what I may or may not have missed. Unfortunately, I was unable to try the KTM XC at the time, because my buddy got sick and couldn't show up with his. I have ridden it since, and it made the biggest impression on me when compared to my WR, but I digress. With that experience under my belt, I can tell you that the most important improvement that I've seen is with what's inside your helmet, and how willing you are to shut that hole under your nose and listen to what someone with experience has to say. If not, then your existence is simply a waste of my time and, unfortunately, your own as well.

Now I know I'm going to get flamed for this little diatribe, but so be it, flame away. From my experience, there is little difference between my '05 WR and an '06 CRF-X. The power is comparable, as is the handling, suspension and the ergos. It took me approximatley 90 seconds to figure out what was up with the Honda when I jumped on it. From then on, I was as comfortable with it as I was with my own bike. From the data supplied by Yamaha regarding the ergos with the '07, I am highly confident that it will be a similar situation. With that said, if Bling-Bling and the next greatest thing is what gets you off, go for it, it's your money. But if I had to choose between several bikes, all new, but with a year or two separating their models, then the smart money goes with the cheaper bike, you know, the one with the fugly steel (gasp!) frame.

One final word before I sign off and let you call me names and provide unsubstantiated credentials to compare to my own...this board used to have a crop of regular members who had an encyclopedic knowledge of the WR, but they have gone missing. "Why", you ask. Well, I believe that they've gotten a bad taste in their mouths from all the posing, posturing and lack of self-reliance that used to be present on this board. When I first joined, I was amazed at how eager to help everyone was when I had questions as a newbie. Mind you, I "lurked" for quite some time and learned as much as I could from my own efforts before I piped up, but that is no longer the case with the average newbie. Things seem to have deteriorated to name-calling and spoon-feeding, and it saddens me. Indy, NC, et. al, you are missed. Clark out...SC

• wormstrangler

Posted June 30, 2006 - 05:12 PM

"With that experience under my belt, I can tell you that the most important improvement that I've seen is with what's inside your helmet, and how willing you are to shut that hole under your nose and listen to what someone with experience has to say. If not, then your existence is simply a waste of my time and, unfortunately, your own as well."

So we must listen to experienced people, but we can't post new threads asking these experience peopel about our problems?

I'm new to riding and if I have the problem, I take the time to search and figure things out for myself. But sometimes it's easier and quicker to take a photo and post it on the forums somewhere. If you have a problem with that, I don't really care.

• clark4131

Posted June 30, 2006 - 05:17 PM

it's easier and quicker to take a photo and post it on the forums somewhere.

I rest my case...SC

• wormstrangler

Posted June 30, 2006 - 05:25 PM

Nice work taking that quote out of context. I said I'd search and apply a bit of brain power before posting my own thread.

• RCannon

Posted June 30, 2006 - 05:38 PM

Clark, great post. I wondered how long it would be before someone proved your point.

I did expect the ink to dry on the post, however.

• tony1970

Posted June 30, 2006 - 06:27 PM

My motto has always been 90% rider 10% bike. Case in point is when my friend owned a 97 KLX 300 and I owned my new 98 XR400R and he would smoke my a$$ all the time. Now when I purchased my XR I had quit riding for about 2 years and was just getting back into it. I modded the hell out of that XR and after a few months of riding with him I bumped up my riding skills and I could hang with him. One day my friend wanted to trade bikes. Well I never saw him the rest of the ride and could not keep up, he just flat blew me away. I rode that KLX and it was the biggest POS I have ever ridden, the bars were practically in my lap and I felt like I was on a big green couch. For some reason he could wring every ounce of power out of that bike and use it for his advantage. He used the extra 10% my bike gave him and smoked me. The funniest thing I ever saw was him passing a guy on a brand new YZ400F at a local moto race. Classic. When he bought a YZ426F I just plain stopped trying to keep up.

Now my point is when a new "improved" bike comes out the first thing people say to themselves " That bike is so improved it is going to improve my riding " when the reality is it will not. I ride with guys in their 50's riding DRZ's that would destroy most 20 year olds on a new WR. So don't worry Clark you were at that age once where shiny things caught your eye also. Remember that old Willy song and just shake your head the next time you pass Junior on that new shiny WR who cannot figure out how to jet his bike properly for the conditions because he was too lazy to read. Things are not worse, you are just more aware. :ride: BTW everyone has been so fixated on the new frame on the WR they have failed to notice the biggest improvement is the oil/air separate fork on the bike. :ride:

• Assassin

Posted June 30, 2006 - 07:18 PM

&%$#@! has that got to do with steel frame???

If you want to compare, ride a '05 and '06 YZ back to back.

For the average grey haired old man like yourself, an old steel frame bike like an xr or drz would do just fine for putting along.

For those of us who actually twist the throttle and go fast enough to appreciate the handling package, the aluminium frames are great.

If you want steel frame, get a ktm. It won't be long before they go aluminum too.

And as for jetting, you guys seem scared yet you don't want EFI. Good thing Yamaha does not listen to guys like you.

• Assassin

Posted June 30, 2006 - 07:20 PM

Now my point is when a new "improved" bike comes out the first thing people say to themselves " That bike is so improved it is going to improve my riding " when the reality is it will not.

Reading this crap, I take it you have never touched your suspension.

• RLthumper

Posted June 30, 2006 - 07:28 PM

For the average grey haired old man like yourself, an old steel frame bike like an xr or drz would do just fine for putting along.

For those of us who actually twist the throttle and go fast enough to appreciate the handling package, the aluminium frames are great.

If you want steel frame, get a ktm. It won't be long before they go aluminum too.

And as for jetting, you guys seem scared yet you don't want EFI. Good thing Yamaha does not listen to guys like you.

i think you just provided the perfect example of just the kind of dumbass that the thread starter was trying to portray.

• Assassin

Posted June 30, 2006 - 07:38 PM

i think you just provided the perfect example of just the kind of dumbass that the thread starter was trying to portray.

you don't see any jetting posts by me now, do you?

Here is a tip, read the F^%$ing manual.

Maybe you are too old and have Alzheimer's or something?

Back in your day, I guess you were bitching that the horse and cart were better than motor car.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Assassin

Posted June 30, 2006 - 07:54 PM

I wonder why Honda is dropping the XR range????
Could that be because they are old and crap? I think so!
Why does everyone prefer the aluminum frame crf's for racing over the XR's?

Maybe you guys can join the XR guys and reminisce?

• clark4131

Posted June 30, 2006 - 08:08 PM

I wonder why Honda is dropping the XR range????
Could that be because they are old and crap? I think so!
Why does everyone prefer the aluminum frame crf's for racing over the XR's?
Maybe you guys can join the XR guys and reminisce?

Hmmm...I guess you've never heard of a little race called the Baja 1000, or perhaps riders like Mouse McCoy, Johnny Campbell or Steve Hengeveld. How about Malcolm Smith? What's the common factor? Yep, the Honda XR650 and its predecessors. If ignorance is bliss like they say, then you must have perma-grin :ride:. But please continue, I enjoy seeing my point of view etched in stone...SC

• tony1970

Posted June 30, 2006 - 08:13 PM

Reading this crap, I take it you have never touched your suspension.

Wow! That sure is a bold statement! Go grab a Dew and chill out. :ride: Yes suspension is a major factor in riding, but not in riding skills. My point was that most people throw money in their bike and need to have the latest greatest thing on two wheels. All the " bling " in the world will not help someone with crappy riding skills and does not want to work on improving them. :ride:

• tony1970

Posted June 30, 2006 - 08:19 PM

If I remember right a kid named Bubba was blowing away Honda's on a out dated, under CC'ed, steel framed Kawi a few years ago. :ride:

• 300wby

Posted June 30, 2006 - 08:34 PM

Clark certainly you aren’t surprised to hear some negative posts when you yourself started this thread with nothing but insults. You get what you give and you deserve everything you'll get.
Your post is insulting and serves no purpose other than to allow you to vent against people that you obviously consider inferior.
Go take a nice long walk in a park and relax a bit, you have WAY too much time on your hands.

• tony1970

Posted June 30, 2006 - 08:43 PM

Clark, you could have tried to incorporate mountain bikers in this post to really stir it up. :ride:

• RLthumper

Posted June 30, 2006 - 09:11 PM

you don't see any jetting posts by me now, do you?

Here is a tip, read the F^%$ing manual.

Maybe you are too old and have Alzheimer's or something?

Back in your day, I guess you were bitching that the horse and cart were better than motor car.

yep ive got alzheimers at the age of 15. sad thing, isnt it.

Clark, i completely agree with you. people think that they need an aluminum frame when they dont even have the skills necessary to fully use the steel frame they already have.

• RLthumper

Posted June 30, 2006 - 09:14 PM

Since the introduction of the '07 WR with the tin foil frame, it seems the yahoo's have come out of the woodwork...loud-mouthed, 20-something's with single or double digit post counts that barely know a Unabiker from a Quickshot.

i just find it pretty funny that all the people that have disagreed with you so far all fall into that category.

• Punisher 660

Posted June 30, 2006 - 09:39 PM

yep ive got alzheimers at the age of 15. sad thing, isnt it.

Clark, i completely agree with you. people think that they need an aluminum frame when they dont even have the skills necessary to fully use the steel frame they already have.

Clark,
When you read the post replies and see some of the signatures, your point is very well taken. Some of us do remember Mouse McCoy and his cronies, but I will have to agree to dis-agree on the aluminum frame thing.....anything that can lower the center of gravity or reduce the bikes weight is a welcome change in my book.

Back to your point though.....I have noticed the quality of posts are degrading rapidly and this site is becomming more and more like the typical web blogs over run by uninformed and un-knowledgable 15 year old smart asses. That being said, where are the guys like Indie, DaveD, and NC Mountain Man....I valued their contributions and posts, and find that all of the recent newbies seem to have migrated from places like Bluetraxx.com :ride:

• ARin

Posted June 30, 2006 - 09:56 PM

this forum is becoming more and more like the honda forums.

and by the way, im with you clark. give me steel frames, tall stance, range in my tank and higher compression. the 04 was the last of the great wr's.

VIVA!!!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.