'06 WR 450 air box mod

11 replies to this topic
  • hosertp

Posted June 30, 2006 - 03:46 PM

I bought my friend the following for his 40th birthday present to uncork his '06 WR 450:

AIS Removal Kit
Twin Air Power Flow Kit
Silent Insert
JD Jetting Kit

Since the search engine on this site is disabled, perhaps someone could send me a link for the air box mod so I can forward that to him. And I would welcome any other mods that he should consider with this set-up.
I'm a CRFX owner, and followed the advice on that forum of the ThumperTalk vets. So my bike is handled, but I don't know the tricks on his bike.

Thanks, hosertp

• MojaveThumper

Posted June 30, 2006 - 07:34 PM

Air box mod is real simple and if you have the GYT-R kit it tells ya in there but here it the gist of it:

Remove the seat and just aft of the battery box you will see two snorkel looking things sticking up. Gotta go. I moved the battery out of the way, pulled the area where the clip is back so the rivets didn't snag the part I was trying to remove. Used some locking pliers to grab hold of the snorkels and worked it out.

Might as well leave everything out and off if you are doing it all at once.

Then pull off the right side panel above the can. Once that is all off you will see two "shapes" (for lack of a better term). Cut those out with a stanely knife.

And you are good to go.

Hardest part for me would of been the carb. Bud was here that has a lot of carb experience. Put the bike up on a stand and remove the subframe. Best way.

The hardest thing to remove for us was the "silencer". Bike only had about two hrs on it and man was it a BIATCH to get out of there. We had to drill it out twice, then use vise grips and even resorted to banging on it with a hammer and ahem, screwdriver to finally get it out of there.

Get r back together and then HANG ON!

• MountainMax

Posted July 01, 2006 - 05:51 AM

Check out the sticky thread above for the good mods, and don't forget to cut the grey wire, I removed my carb 4 times so far on my 06 and you don't need to remove the subframe, just remove the cables and fuel hose, loosen the front and rear car boots and wiggle it out to the left side, when installing put some lube on the rubber boots and it will aid in re-assembly, oh, he should get the adjustable fuel mixture screw also........

• Drunken Monkey

Posted July 01, 2006 - 05:54 AM

I bought my friend the following for his 40th birthday present to uncork his '06 WR 450:

AIS Removal Kit
Twin Air Power Flow Kit
Silent Insert
JD Jetting Kit

Since the search engine on this site is disabled, perhaps someone could send me a link for the air box mod so I can forward that to him. And I would welcome any other mods that he should consider with this set-up.
I'm a CRFX owner, and followed the advice on that forum of the ThumperTalk vets. So my bike is handled, but I don't know the tricks on his bike.

Thanks, hosertp

www.thumperfaq.com

It is all there.

• bcs

Posted July 01, 2006 - 07:31 PM

Here's a before and after pic of the airbox.

airbox mod

It took some work to get the insert out because its hard to hold onto. The easiest way I found was to loop a piece of rope down one side, and up the other, then tie a knot to form a loop. Then CAREFULLY pry the battery tray forward. The Yamaha instructions warn you that if you pry too much it could break. Pull up on the loop of rope until the snorkel comes loose. Now it will only snap loose and come up an inch or so because the rope is also looped around a stationary part of the airbox. Remove the rope and then remove the snorkel. Easy.

• Drunken Monkey

Posted July 01, 2006 - 08:24 PM

Here's a before and after pic of the airbox.

airbox mod

It took some work to get the insert out because its hard to hold onto. The easiest way I found was to loop a piece of rope down one side, and up the other, then tie a knot to form a loop. Then CAREFULLY pry the battery tray forward. The Yamaha instructions warn you that if you pry too much it could break. Pull up on the loop of rope until the snorkel comes loose. Now it will only snap loose and come up an inch or so because the rope is also looped around a stationary part of the airbox. Remove the rope and then remove the snorkel. Easy.

removing just snorkel does next to nothing, you have to cut the right hand side out of your airbox if you want to improve flow.

Don't worry, it is still covered. :ride:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MountainMax

Posted July 02, 2006 - 07:21 AM

I cut my snorkel in two like someone suggested here, made it easier to remove one side at a time. I also cut my side opening, that's where the bigger gains come from forsure.

• BajaFool

Posted July 02, 2006 - 09:43 AM

Hosertp,
Search function seems to work fine on this forum, I just tested it. You may want to double check the procedures for conducting a search.

• MountainMax

Posted July 02, 2006 - 12:17 PM

Alot of times the search is disabled because of high activity on this site. I get mad sometimes too when I try to search for something and cant.....

• hosertp

Posted July 05, 2006 - 06:03 PM

Thanks to everyone. Mighty hot for riding, so he might as well get his home work done.

hosertp

• MountainMax

Posted July 05, 2006 - 06:04 PM

sometimes im Jealous, you guys can drive bike all year long, I only have a few months a year to enjoy it.

• Tilson51

Posted July 05, 2006 - 06:07 PM

sometimes im Jealous, you guys can drive bike all year long, I only have a few months a year to enjoy it.

haha :ride: :ride:
no u can ride it just dont get caught :ride:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.