Loud ticking sound.....

12 replies to this topic
  • markvan

Posted June 30, 2006 - 01:53 PM

I've got a loud ticking sound which seems to be coming from the top end. It came on suddenly, was fine at Idle after several hours of riding, and then just when after a short break, I went to take off again as I gave it a little gas to get moving it appeared suddenly as if something just let go. Seems to be a solid tick, not like the timing chain slapping, (atleast from my ear, but I have never heard a timing chain tick either, so who knows....) I've currently got the head off and the cylinder looks fine, clearances on the valves are within spec too.

I just put in new rings in the spring so It hasn't had a crazy amount of hours put on the fresh engine. Although after a 2 hour hare scramble the weekend before, I was losing oil from the oil filter cover, and apparantly drove for some time low on oil....(no idea how long but everything seemed to be running great) Any ideas what's going on? Thanks guys.....

• yamahacrazy_310

Posted June 30, 2006 - 03:26 PM

Well all four strokes have a slight tick cause of the valves (if you listen close)

Did the top of your piston look ok....maybe like your piston was hitting the valves.

• hedpi

Posted June 30, 2006 - 03:56 PM

if it's an older YZ you might want to check the counter balancer key.. i'm going to do that on mine as i have the same problem (noise)

• markvan

Posted July 03, 2006 - 11:29 AM

Definately not the the normal valve ticking.....this is much louder....

...as for the counter balance.....could something have slipped out of place? What should I be looking for??

• hedpi

Posted July 03, 2006 - 11:48 AM

search for counterbalancer on this forum, you'll find various topics about it.

it has a key whichs get's worn out and when it has some slack it will be very noisy

• markvan

Posted July 04, 2006 - 06:15 AM

Thanks Hedp. I will definitely be checking the CB key way..... it does sound like a good possibility. I've got the top end completely torn off now, and there seems to be some play where the piston rod connects to the crank..... just side to side, no movement up and down. Is this normal or could this be the problem?

I figure that when the piston in the cylinder it won't be able to move side to side so perhaps this is normal. Although it would seem to me that this movement would mean that some bearings are shot, and I really hope I don't have to start splitting the case. So what do you guys think?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • racer511

Posted July 04, 2006 - 08:20 AM

does it sound lick a rock in a hubcap? if so it could be the kick starting gear. a buddy of ours had this happen and it messed up his oil pump along with the kick starting gear :ride: :ride: :ride:

• jimbob69

Posted July 04, 2006 - 08:15 PM

side to side play on the rod is normal. up and down play on the other hand, isn't.

• markvan

Posted July 05, 2006 - 05:22 AM

Thanks....

It appears to be the counterbalancer. Everything else seems to be good. I've got the case sides off and am ready to pull the magneto and replace the keyway. There is definitally some play there. Next time I'll look there first before stripping everything else down.... It took a while to nail down but it looks like a simple fix.... thanks again guys...

• hedpi

Posted July 05, 2006 - 06:12 AM

cool :ride: i wasn't so lucky, still haven't found what's causing the noise on mine :ride:

• HONDA RIDER493

Posted July 05, 2006 - 07:49 PM

my 05 started makin noise like that it was the kick starter if it starts makin the noise on bike again push the kick starter forward and it will stop but when you let go it will start again i had it worked on it is a chipped tooth on the gear for kick start....sounds like that is what it is

• Dan_187

Posted June 30, 2008 - 07:27 PM

I didnt want to make another thread but my bike has some ticking....

its an 06 yz450, i reshimmed the valves not too long ago so i dont think its them. my timing chain is still stock, can this cause ticking?? I have about 2 years on the bike, i doubt its the piston or pin. the bike runs great and starts easy

• sean3239

Posted June 30, 2008 - 08:08 PM

Maybe this..? In retrospect, I could here the noise while running but it was faint because the tooth wasn't broken badly, only chipped.

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=620286

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.