Why no EFI for dirtbikes

27 replies to this topic
  • Dougie

Posted November 10, 2001 - 11:56 AM

Just wondering why life isn't easier. Why hasn't there been electronic fuel injection for dirtbikes yet? How hard could it be to put one on? Why do I have to fiddle with jetting in the year 2001? Waaaahhhh!

• Brad

Posted November 10, 2001 - 01:17 PM

Dougie,

Don't forget about the Cannondales. They are fuel injected and pretty trick in my opinion despite what the magazines have said.

• Chris_Slade

Posted November 10, 2001 - 02:07 PM

I would look for EFI in the next 5-8 years. Most all sportbikes are now coming with EFI. The Honda CBR600 F4 is now ONLY offered in an injected model since '01 models (the CBR600F4i). Yamaha is offering injection on 2002 models, and you can bet Suzuki and Kawasaki are not far behind on their street bikes. I'm just gonna throw a wild guess that by 2009, we'll see EFI standard on all dirt bikes.
Cannondale is injected yes, but Cannondale always had to tinker with something, and call it progress, although usually it was junk. Trick looking bikes, perhaps, but no way would I trust one for a good 5 years of hard work yet. Just from my dealings with Cannondale bicycles.

• BlueThunder

Posted November 10, 2001 - 04:02 PM

The "Zooks" GSXR's are also injected, don't forget them. The injection will need to be very
"shock-proofed" to withstand the punishment of the off-road scene, so that may be a reason for the delay, although Arctic Cat's sleds are injected. Talk about a beating running those killer, beat up trails, to get to the powder. :)

• DOC

Posted November 10, 2001 - 07:21 PM

they are too damn lazy. its that simple.

• drcrashr

Posted November 10, 2001 - 08:11 PM

Originally posted by Dougie:
Just wondering why life isn't easier. Why hasn't there been electronic fuel injection for dirtbikes yet? How hard could it be to put one on? Why do I have to fiddle with jetting in the year 2001? Waaaahhhh!

These are the guys that make the engine control system for Cannondale. Looks like you blue bike owners are in luck. :)

http://www.optimum-p...ages/yamaha.pdf

Enjoy,
Crash

• gavin500

Posted November 10, 2001 - 09:22 PM

A electronic's engineer guy over here at down under has designed his own efi unit for his KLX(250 or 300?).
I believe this is his page -
http://www.theitguy....cles/francisco/
Dyno graphs show a good even improvement in power and torque. Mine you alot of R&D(+money) is needed to complete this. For one you not only need through away your current carby($), your got to design a way for injector induction and a engine managment system. From what I've read he has been doing this for a while now.

• MotoGreg

Posted November 11, 2001 - 10:30 PM

I'm sure EFI could be made to work fine is enough R&D was put into it but if you've ridden a Cannondale (I have) you would run from it. On the other hand, the new 40mm Keihin FCR on the Honda CRF450 is so incredibly smooth and seemless you wouldn't believe it, it carbuerates perfectly in any condition you can throw at it without so much as a sputter or hesitation. You yank the throttle wide open from idle and it revs as quick as you can turn the grip without any sign of sputter. When it gets that good, who really needs fuel injection?

On streetbikes though... Getting to the carbs to make adjustments on my girlfriends Yamaha R6 is a long, hard job and my next streetbike will have EFI for sure.

• Bill

Posted November 11, 2001 - 02:24 PM

The benefits to EFI would be self adjusting fuel/air mixture for the guys who ride in different altitudes or with or without engine mods, such as an open pipe or airbox.

MXGreg how does the CRf compare, inquiring minds want to know :)

Bill

• DOC

Posted November 11, 2001 - 03:43 PM

thats right to a degree, but the advantages are these and then some. Modifications such as pipes and using different octane fuels can be taken to full advantage by easily changing the fuel/ignition maps with a lap top and/or handset. Most management systems come with atmospheric pressure/temperature sensors that will then automatically compensate for these differences, once the correct base map is set.
The best advantage relevant to us WR/YZ users is the accellerator pump adjustment. Again, use a PC or handset and adjust the extra amount of fuel to be added, and for how long. Just press the buttons. How easy is that!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MotoGreg

Posted November 12, 2001 - 10:41 PM

MXGreg how does the CRf compare, inquiring minds want to know

See this post for info.

• Scott_F

Posted November 13, 2001 - 09:57 AM

Greg, I am no Cannondale fan, but I must say that the EFI is impressive. I rode the latest factory version last Thursday at GH, and it worked flawlessly.

BTW, I'm in Anaheim. Let's hook up for some riding!

• jamracing

Posted November 13, 2001 - 10:06 PM

Cost and govt. is the only consideration for the manufacturers. The reason bikes have been going to injection is because of EPA regulations. In order for a bike to meet EPA regs, it has to be lean as smoked turkey (?), but only at certain RPM's. With fuel injection, you can set it to be lean at the same engine speeds that "the man" tests at, but normal at other engine settings. Why do you think cars went to fuel inj. eons ago? Cost is also important, and if you have a carb that does good enough, why spend millions to develop something that will take several years to perfect?
Actually, Tommy Hayden (Yamaha road racing) raced, and won, and dirt track race on a stock YZ426 with fuel injection.

• MotoGreg

Posted November 13, 2001 - 03:56 PM

Greg, I am no Cannondale fan, but I must say that the EFI is impressive. I rode the latest factory version last Thursday at GH, and it worked flawlessly.
BTW, I'm in Anaheim. Let's hook up for some riding!

The one I rode was one of the very first bikes, when they first came out and the magazines got their test bikes before they hit the dealers... I rode one of those bikes. It was very bad, it was hard to even ride away from your truck in the pits, you had to keep it reving because it would barely idle. Anyway, I'm sure they've gotten it a lot better since then, like everything else with that bike, they were forced to release it too early before it was fully developed. I've ridden several EFI sportbikes that run like a top.

Do you ride just MX or trail ride too? I'm using my CRF for the track and turning my YZF into an offroad bike but I don't really have many friends that like to go ride trails. I like to ride up by the Lake Silverwood/Lake Arrowhead area.

• Scott_F

Posted November 14, 2001 - 05:54 AM

Greg, I mosly ride tracks, but enjoy trails on rare occasions. If I had a dual sport I would do it more often.

• henrics

Posted November 14, 2001 - 12:07 PM

look at this..........
http://www.mecab.nu/gasgas/ec400.html

• bender647

Posted November 18, 2001 - 02:30 PM

EFI requires a battery, does it not?
And a fuel pump--you don't usually run
injectors on gravity pressure. And a
computer, easy to hide on a streetbike
but dirt bikes are pretty minimal.

All engineering choices... no reason
you couldn't do it but do the benefits
outweigh all the above added complexity?

• DOC

Posted November 18, 2001 - 09:37 PM

henrics, looks like ive found my next bike!

• Dougie

Posted November 19, 2001 - 03:27 PM

That is a sweet looking bike. Can anyone translate? :)

• henrics

Posted November 21, 2001 - 08:41 AM

Ok....
http://www.gasgasuk.com/new/page1.htm

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.