Should I move up to 21 needle on Edelbrock QS?

2 replies to this topic
  • J_T

Posted June 30, 2006 - 10:36 AM

Hey Ya'll, My Bike is apart b/c I was messing with the stock cam and decided to wait to put it back together till my Hotcam Stage1 got here. I was wondering if I ought to move move from the 19 to 21 needle b/c I am getting the new cam as well I also cut out the airbox yesterday as well. I have a Big-Gun Race exhaust and run at 350-450 feet MSL Alt. It started well with the 19 but with the airbox open and stage 1 cam I didn't know if I should go ahead and swap to the 21 needle while I had down time and could. That way it'd be ready when the cam got here?

anyone running 19 needle with Stage 1 cam?

Doesn't the larger needle size mean more fuel at > 1/2 throttle like it does on the old stock carbs?

Thanks

JT

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wickedsprint

Posted June 30, 2006 - 03:42 PM

The way Rob at barnums explained it is if you are nearing the maximum amount of clicks out on your needle you need the larger one, if you have it almost alll of the way screwed in, you need the next size down...I run the small needle of the 3 that come with the carb although I am at 6200 feet msl. I could make the larger needle work but it would likely be screwed in all the way which outs it outside of its optimum adjustment, kinda like TQ wrenches.

• Ramcc4x4

Posted June 30, 2006 - 04:29 PM

With my 2002 XR650R I had an open side panel, UNI filter, no backfire screen, White Bros header, "E" series pipe with 12 discs and a Hotcams stage 1 cam. I ran a #21 needle at around 16 clicks with the accelerator pump at "full pump" (completely turned into right). Prior to the Edelbrock I was running a 185 main and 70s pilot jet. I run between sea level - 1500 feet and had to lean it out a bit at 2500 +.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.