Maxxis Maxxcross IT vs Dunlop D952 comparison for interested people! - Part 2

36 replies to this topic
  • tony1970

Posted July 05, 2006 - 09:12 AM

Clark - I digress to your post made a few days ago about the influx of immature morons flooding the site. Why would I ever waste my time taking a picture, writing a post, or sharing what use to be viewed as "useful" information for a bunch of low-brow, un-intellectual, know it alls. As is obvious, *******-ASSIN knows everything.....In fact why don't we give him his own board where he can advise all with his wealth of vast knowledge. (So this doesn't go over your head.....that is sarcasm Assasin) Here is yet another example of why people like Indie, NC Mountainman, and DDialogue no longer waste their time on this board. As it simply started, it was photographic evidence of what the D952 was like after 20 miles of use. DUMB-ASS-ASSIN made it into the mystery of the century and his fellow double digit IQ cronies all chimed in with their worthless assessments.

Punisher out!

:ride: :ride: :ride: :p :ride: :ride: :banana: :p

• clark4131

Posted July 05, 2006 - 10:00 AM

Preach, my brother! :ride:...SC

• 00YZ426FMRCD

Posted July 05, 2006 - 10:28 AM

Maxxis Maxxcross IT vs Dunlop D952 comparison for interested people!

After reading the above titled thread (sorry, don't know how to link to it) - I tried a DUNLOP D952

Here are some pictures to show the quality of the Dunlop and how well it did after a 20 mile single track trail ride with only a few rocks:

http://i33.photobuck...en/DSC00123.jpg
http://i33.photobuck...en/DSC00122.jpg
http://i33.photobuck...en/DSC00121.jpg

I know that oppinions differ from person to person, but here is imperical proof as to how poorly these tires are constructed. I spoke to several bike shops and told them the area I would be riding, they all agreed that the 952 was THE tire for that area. The grip was OK, not bad, but nothing to write home about. But the wear and chunking after only 20 miles is unacceptable - even if it were a Cheng Shin

Thanks for sharing... Ironically (I could be wrong) but I think that the Maxxis is made be Cheng Shin....

Either way, I would take a Maxxis over a Dunlop anyday of the week. (642MX-We need to do a shootout ourselves and report the results. 2 - 426's one with a Maxxis IT and one with a Dunlop 952) :ride:

I will say, however, that I have had a defect Maxxis rear tire and had to send it back. The bead on the tire was uneven and there was no-way it was going to mount on the rim correctly. It was replaced with no problem. A problem like that could lead to excessive wear.

Whether Maxxis, Dunlop or whatever, be aware. Lower priced tires is sometimes like lower priced shoes. They are less $$'s for a reason - usually because that have a defect...

• clark4131

Posted July 05, 2006 - 11:43 AM

Maxxis IS made by Cheng Shin...SC

• Punisher660

Posted July 05, 2006 - 12:05 PM

OK....I'll take back the Cheng Shin remark. My only experiance with them is on their paddles which I find to be sub-par to King Paddles, but for the money are a decent tire.

All other comments stand though...... BTW, I went home for lunch and checked to see what model tire my son's 426 had on it...Maxxis IT. It has been on the same trail I took the 952 on at least 50 times and does not have one broken knob, just the usual wear.

I will be hitting the same trail tomorrow and will take before and after photos for comparison. I will keep a log of type of terrain and miles, then do my own shoot-out against the Maxxis Desert IT. I have nothing to gain but information....for those interested, I will post the results then as well. :ride:

• GCannon

Posted July 05, 2006 - 12:15 PM

I am glad to find out that I am not the only one who noticed a severe brain drain on this site lately. :ride: :ride: :ride:

• Numskull

Posted July 05, 2006 - 06:51 PM

Has any one tried the IRC MB5? http://www.rockymoun...ge=i/ircm58.jpg

That tire looks simple and has really big nobbys :ride: I want my back tire to hook up and throw earth. The stock dunlop 739 has wore out and does not get traction, never has.

• Numskull

Posted July 05, 2006 - 06:58 PM

Does any one know the differences between tires as far as Hard terrian, Meddium terrian, soft terrian? Are the tire compounds different? Is hard terrain gonna dig into hard dirt better than a soft terrian? Or is it just knob spacing for cleaning? Or is it wear? Does soft terrain tires work good on hard packed?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Longtimeyamahaguy

Posted July 05, 2006 - 08:09 PM

I`m kinda suprised that Bridgestones don`t come up in these tire topic threads. I got to put some miles on my 201/202 combo this past weekend. The rear tire showed some rounding off real quick but hasn`t gotten any worse. I suspect that the rear will wear out quickly though, but I really liked the grip they have in Michigans sand/loose dirt. Just my .02

• 642MX

Posted July 05, 2006 - 08:46 PM

[quote name='00YZ426FMRCD'](642MX-We need to do a shootout ourselves and report the results. 2 - 426's one with a Maxxis IT and one with a Dunlop 952) :ride:
QUOTE]

I'm ready! I mounted a couple (actually 4) new 952's up last week. Lets test them on a MX track this weekend. :ride:

• TD-3

Posted July 06, 2006 - 02:46 AM

You got a DEFECTIVE tire from Dunlop....now all Dunlop tires are junk??? :ride: So, the rest of us that are having ZERO issues and are happy with the 952 are wrong??
For christ's sake it's just a defective tire, that will more than likely be replaced.
Move on man, it's riding season.

Disclaimer: Feel free to disregard the above post since I only have a double digit post count... :ride:

• Yama4Stroker

Posted July 06, 2006 - 06:05 AM

Has any one tried the IRC MB5? http://www.rockymoun...ge=i/ircm58.jpg

That tire looks simple and has really big nobbys :ride: I want my back tire to hook up and throw earth. The stock dunlop 739 has wore out and does not get traction, never has.

I run IRC tires. I have run the M5B year round. I have run this type of tire for the last 10 years. It is designed for soft terrain, works great in mud or loamy sand. It holds up fairly well all year. I just ran 265 mile dessert ride on one and held up great. With a new M5B, you will be moving some earth, I get blasted behind my buddy when he puts a new one on.

to answer question about soft terrain tires & hard terrain tires. The soft terrain tires are a harder rubber compound, but more space between bigger knobs. The hard terrain tires are softer rubber (more flex in the knobs themselves) and a little closer and smaller. The soft terrain tires have a more rectangular shape knob, where a hard terrain tire has more of a square shape knob.

• Punisher660

Posted July 06, 2006 - 07:12 AM

You got a DEFECTIVE tire from Dunlop....now all Dunlop tires are junk??? :ride: So, the rest of us that are having ZERO issues and are happy with the 952 are wrong??
For christ's sake it's just a defective tire, that will more than likely be replaced.
Move on man, it's riding season.

Disclaimer: Feel free to disregard the above post since I only have a double digit post count... :ride:

First of all, never did I or anyone on here say "all Dunlop were junk" , just referenced the poor quality of the D952. I simply posted a photo and told you about the problem. If its a defective tire, then great, it should hold up when I take it back to the same place again. Don't start whining because you have a Dunlop and my instance with the same tire was piss poor.

Second, its your double digit IQ that offends, not your post count. If you have something to say; gather your thoughts, do your best to eloquently express them, and try to remain constructive at a minimum.

Third, I will find out soon enough if it is a crappy tire or if the first one was just defective.....if you bother to read the post instead of just jumping on the bandwagon of those who open their mouth and insert foot, you would see that they replaced it with a new 952 and there would be a write-up on that tire.

Once again, thanks for proving Clarks point and showing us how well you constructivly contribute to our forum. :ride:

• Erik Marquez

Posted July 07, 2006 - 06:12 AM

OK folks.. This thread has been cleaned up a bit.. If you feel the need to post... Remember this is a Tech forum.. You can disagree with a users post...... but keep it Tech. Anything else, take to PM's or off of TT. If your unable to restrain your self.... We can assist you....in staying off of TT.

And for some Tech.....

I am running a Maxxis IT right now.... used a IT Desert a few weeks before that. I have had great service from both. I have tried many Dunlops, including the 952.... they work well when new,, but fade quickly..and the 952 was only average in wear on hard pack with lots of rocks.

On avarage I get 4 rides from a rear tire before the edges are shot, and or chunking has begun. I can tear one up in a days ride if I'm too hard on the gas,, and there are rocks,,,,or I can make a tire last a few rides.. Just depends on how hard I twist.

• Punisher660

Posted July 07, 2006 - 07:37 AM

Thanks for keeping us on track.

• red7

Posted July 07, 2006 - 07:46 AM

Punisher, did you end up taking it out on the same trail yesterday? I'm curious about the results. We've been getting a lot of rain here in AZ so I don't know if it's the same for you up North.

• red7

Posted May 30, 2007 - 09:12 PM

Hey, so whatever happened to the new 952 you put on? Did you have the same result or did it last longer?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.