Single throttle cable?

10 replies to this topic
  • yam 3

Posted June 30, 2006 - 07:01 AM

I was wondering if you can run just one cable to the carb? I would like the throttle to turn a bit easier, like my two smoke. Any reason not to? 06 yz450. :ride:

• Ga426owner

Posted June 30, 2006 - 07:12 AM

I do not believe this will work. The system is designed for a 2 cable design. With a accel pump you need this type of system

• Wheel

Posted June 30, 2006 - 09:34 AM

DO NOT unhook or remove the second cable.

On a 2-stroke carb, the cable pulls the slide open and a spring closes it. On a 4-stroke carb, one cable pulls the slide open and the other pulls the slide shut. It is spring assisted, but necessary in order to assure that the throttle closes. The 4-stroke carb also has a special slide that has rollers to help remove any stiction. All of this is necessary due to the high vacuum created at the carb on a 4-stroke.

• TWILES

Posted June 30, 2006 - 01:26 PM

Then tell me why the YFZ450 only uses one cable with the same carb? I'm not arguing the fact. I'd just like to know.

• Reyndogg

Posted June 30, 2006 - 01:48 PM

I coudnt care less about quads either way, but this would be my guess:

the YFZ450 has a thumb-actuated throttle with the return spring built in which closes the throttle so there is no need for a second cable

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SureBlue

Posted July 01, 2006 - 04:44 AM

Then tell me why the YFZ450 only uses one cable with the same carb? I'm not arguing the fact. I'd just like to know.

The quad is electronically controlled with this part
5TG-8259A-00-00 .SWITCH, CARBURETOR
to assist it in running with single cable.
The bike does not have it.

• ben_suhard

Posted July 01, 2006 - 06:47 AM

I was wondering if you can run just one cable to the carb? I would like the throttle to turn a bit easier, like my two smoke. Any reason not to? 06 yz450. :ride:

Yeah, what wheel said, four strokes create more vacuum which suck's more on the slide and it can stick open. The second cable is there for your safety.

• grayracer513

Posted July 01, 2006 - 06:58 AM

You can do it if you want, but do it at your own risk. You'll need a single cable throttle since your current one has no stop built into it, instead relying on the return cable for that.

Unless you have something significantly wrong with your throttle return cable, removing it won't reduce the twist effort in any noticeable way. I advise against it.

• getdrunk

Posted July 12, 2006 - 08:21 AM

i run the yz426 like that wit ha 400ex thrum throtol.

• DrThumper

Posted July 12, 2006 - 12:14 PM

thrum throtol.

.....Whaaaat?

• FriscoKLR

Posted July 12, 2006 - 04:56 PM

I rode my '00 WR400 for about 2 months without the second cable with absolutley no problems.

I did this only because the rebound cable was so freighed it didn't work properly and hung the idle really bad. I had drove 3 hours to ride that morning and wasn't gonna sit at the truck while my buddies rode. After riding all weekend I wasn't in any hurry to spend $50 on cables.

Would I remove it if it worked properly...no.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.