Gauges... Need a Tach and Oil temp gauge...ANYTHING???

15 replies to this topic
  • Wheels up

Posted June 29, 2006 - 04:24 PM

Hey,

I was wondering if anyone has a Tach or any kind of instrument clusters on there thumpers? I was looking for a 2 1/16 or 2 5/8 inch tach and oil temp meter. I was on the www.autometer.com site and I THINK they have a single cylinder tach. I also know of the dipstick type oil gauge but I would like a stand alone tach and oil temp gauge.

Any help?

Thank you and happy trails. :ride:

• thouk

Posted June 29, 2006 - 06:19 PM

Wheels Up,
You could try the Trailtech vaypor. It has a temp sensor that you could adapt to the ail system. Check it out. Hope that helps, Tony

• Fingers

Posted June 30, 2006 - 12:22 AM

2 ways to go:

Trail Tech Vapor about $100

http://www.trailtech.net/vapor.htm

or AceWell sold by ElectroSport about $150.00

http://www.electrosp...peedo_3900.html

• Supplicate

Posted June 30, 2006 - 05:38 AM

2 ways to go:

there's a lot more then just two ways to go.

You could borrow from snowmobile technology and use some of their digital gauges, Digitrons are pretty wicked, but are fairly big and clunky since you generally have lots-o-room on a sled for stuff like this. They also offer many different kinds to help you with tuning if you are so inclinded.

• Damothedevo

Posted June 30, 2006 - 06:56 AM

I don't know about the tach and oil temp gauge, but I've fitted a water temp gauge to my 01 xr650r. If this will help you, or anyone else, message me. I'll take some photos and try to explain what a mission it was.

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted June 30, 2006 - 01:43 PM

I agree with the trailtech Veypor, it is cheap, has everything you asked for and more, and is super easy to install and program. Do yourself a favor and buy one NOW!

• Fingers

Posted June 30, 2006 - 04:27 PM

Digitrons are hidious, have no graphical display and are almost 3 times the cost of the TrailTech/AceWell...

http://www.hdmworld....mages/DT-53.jpg

• Wheels up

Posted July 01, 2006 - 06:57 AM

Thanks for the replys fellas. That TRAILTECH seems to be the one that would work.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Supplicate

Posted July 01, 2006 - 07:59 AM

have no graphical display

What is the need for a graphical display when trying to fine tune? "Was it two lines above half or one?" instead of "It was 72.8°."

I was merely stating a fact that there were more then two ways to go about it, there is no sense in being narrow minded about it.

• Fingers

Posted July 02, 2006 - 08:22 AM

O.K. if it makes you feel better you can do this many ways. However, what most people realize is that aesthetically there are currently 2 ways to go on this mod and if there were more I have not seen. I have waited 2 years for the developement of both these options while exploring other options. While I wait for the arrival of my Vapor I currently have a Kart racing box like the digitron and it looks like crap (like the digitron). You could bolt the dashboard of a chevy suburban on your bars if you desired but it would look stupid, contrived and/or possibly entail a great deal of modification/fabrication to mount and wire... like a snowmobile cluster would. The Trail Tech and Ace Well are made for this specific application and were developed for motorcyles/ATVs (both the TrailTech and AceWell are model specific for the XR-650R) and they look like they were from the factory once mounted. If you don't care what it looks like then you are correct there are a thousand ways to go. I bet a dashboard from a miata would work well also and a Apple computer bolted to the bars would datalog all you could ask for with the appropriate sensors.

• Supplicate

Posted July 02, 2006 - 11:03 AM

However, what most people realize is that aesthetically there are currently 2 ways to go on this mod

:ride: :ride:

function over form, simple as that.

and a Apple computer bolted to the bars would datalog all you could ask for with the appropriate sensors.

actually, thats what the Digitron is for, you simply buy the connectiviy kit and you can record and download your runs. Everything from EGT to RPM.

• TrailTech

Posted July 22, 2006 - 03:48 PM

Vapor also does oil, CHT and EGT. These sensors are not generally for sale yet.

Geoff@trailtech.net

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted July 22, 2006 - 09:18 PM

Apples are too ergonomic.

I'm gonna onboard a DEC PDP-11.

• michhub

Posted July 23, 2006 - 06:53 AM

I just ran across this in my Sept. Issue of Dirt Rider...
http://www.serviceho...com/speedo.html
It doesn't provide for Oil Temp though.

MikeH
'04 650L

• HeadTrauma

Posted July 23, 2006 - 02:26 PM

I read something on a TT225 forum about a 2 1/16" or 2 5/8" VDO tach for single cylinder engines. I think it might be on egages.com for about $88. It's a really obscure item, even from VDO. The guy who had it never got it to work with the TT225 ignition, though.

• gabriel

Posted July 25, 2007 - 08:52 AM

You could bolt the dashboard of a chevy suburban on your bars if you desired...

LOL!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.