Pinging from engine octane fuel question

5 replies to this topic
  • jeeper33

Posted June 29, 2006 - 03:42 PM

Hello everybody I'm having a lot of pinging coming from my head. The bike does have a full Yosh kit, but it seems to be worse when I run low octane fuel. (i only do it when i have to...aka mid trail system fill-up). What i am wondering is if running leaded race fuel would be bad for the engine in any way. Can anything happen? I'm assuming the titanium valves would be more tolerant of unleaded...what with holding up to the heat, but would leaded fuel do anything?

Thanks!

• grayracer513

Posted June 29, 2006 - 03:57 PM

> What's in the "full Yosh kit"?

> How low is "low octane"?

• Fastest1

Posted June 29, 2006 - 06:23 PM

Lead will not cause any problems, it will decrease detonation and it will cushion the valves upon seating. It does cause problems with the enviroment not with the internal combustion engine. It wont hurt your unleaded car either, it will hurt the catalytic convertor though.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 642MX

Posted June 29, 2006 - 08:22 PM

I've been running Citgo leaded 110 octane for years with no problems. With 13.5:1, I heard alot of pinging on pump gas, but when I first tried the race gas all the pinging went away.

• BergArabia

Posted June 30, 2006 - 02:27 AM

Lead will not cause any problems, it will decrease detonation and it will cushion the valves upon seating. It does cause problems with the enviroment not with the internal combustion engine. It wont hurt your unleaded car either, it will hurt the catalytic convertor though.

That is my understanding.
Diethyl lead will reduce your pinging and will mess up a catalytic converter but you don't have one so you should be OK..

• ben_suhard

Posted July 01, 2006 - 07:46 AM

Hello everybody I'm having a lot of pinging coming from my head. The bike does have a full Yosh kit, but it seems to be worse when I run low octane fuel. (i only do it when i have to...aka mid trail system fill-up). What i am wondering is if running leaded race fuel would be bad for the engine in any way. Can anything happen? I'm assuming the titanium valves would be more tolerant of unleaded...what with holding up to the heat, but would leaded fuel do anything?
Thanks!

If you're still gonna do the mid trail system fill up with pump gas, you could richen up your jetting, that would decrease/stop the pinging. When you run low octane fuel, it can ignite too early from the heat(rather than from the spark) and as a result tries to drive the piston backwards, which is your pinging/detonation. By richening up your jetting, the fuel mix won't ignite from the heat as easily(if at all). Considering you've got a full Yosh system, your bike may be jetted too lean for it. As the others said, leaded fuel is better for your bike, the lead helps stop the fuel igniting from heat(higher octane rating).

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.