Oil bleeding 06 ?

4 replies to this topic
  • dumper_uk

Posted June 29, 2006 - 01:26 PM

Someone came into my work the other day and saw my 06 450,He said "do you know about bleeding the engine oilwhen you change it?"
He reckons a few people he knows have had top end blow up because they havent bled the oil through the small hole by the camchain tensioner.

He said on the older ones it isnt an issue because with the oil being in the frame,gravity helps to bleed the oil through the engine quicker...

Has anyone else heard of this?
I have changed the oil once (only done a few hours so far) and didnt bleed it,and had no problems with it.
Its time for another oil change now so I thought i had better check...

• Reyndogg

Posted June 29, 2006 - 01:53 PM

I think it could be a problem of too much oil if you don't bother to measure how much you put in when you change it and just pour until you think it's full....

but i check it anyway, can't hurt...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted June 29, 2006 - 03:55 PM

The screw to which your knowledgeable friend referred is there for the purpose of checking and verifying the existence of oil pressure. "Bleeding" the oiling system (letting the air out, as with a hydraulic system like your brakes) is totally unnecessary since the far ends of the lines in question are open anyway. Oil flows through the system continuously; air is excluded as a matter of course.

The people who blew their engines could have saved them by "bleeding" the oil only if they forgot to put any oil in them, or if their feed pump had failed. They would have been made aware of the lack of oil pressure by this trick. Otherwise, you may as well assert that the engine failed because they had waffles instead of pancakes for breakfast.

Do it if you want. Just be careful not to strip the bolt.

• jamiehughes

Posted June 29, 2006 - 07:58 PM

i always loosen the bleed bolt just to make sure i have oil pressure, though if i didn't have pressure, i'm not sure what i would really do about it. this is my first 4 stroke and i really like it so i want to make it last, so i err on the side of caution i guess. i'm sure after 10 or so more oil changes i'll quit checking it.

• wingman111

Posted June 29, 2006 - 08:06 PM

The screw to which your knowledgeable friend referred is there for the purpose of checking and verifying the existence of oil pressure. "Bleeding" the oiling system (letting the air out, as with a hydraulic system like your brakes) is totally unnecessary since the far ends of the lines in question are open anyway. Oil flows through the system continuously; air is excluded as a matter of course.

The people who blew their engines could have saved them by "bleeding" the oil only if they forgot to put any oil in them, or if their feed pump had failed. They would have been made aware of the lack of oil pressure by this trick. Otherwise, you may as well assert that the engine failed because they had waffles instead of pancakes for breakfast.

Do it if you want. Just be careful not to strip the bolt.

Mr. grayracer513,your next to final sentance is one of the funniest things I have had the pleasure to read on Thumper Talk ever,thanks

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.