Decisions decisions... 06 or wait for the 07

22 replies to this topic
  • flip_lmb

Posted June 29, 2006 - 11:50 AM

I've found a brand new 06 at a very good price, but damn that 07 looks sexy! So should I go with my head (06) or my heart (07)?

• crrider491

Posted June 29, 2006 - 11:54 AM

I've found a brand new 06 at a very good price, but damn that 07 looks sexy! So should I go with my head (06) or my heart (07)?

if you have the money go 07 if not 06

• clark4131

Posted June 29, 2006 - 12:00 PM

Just my opinion, but other than the aluminum frame, which will be a HUGE pain for carb tuning, there isn't a whole lot of other differences in the bikes performance wise. Sure, they're going to handle differently due to the new frame, but the '06 is still a great bike and I'd be waiting for EFI before I'd spend the cash for the tin foil frame. Again, just my opinion...SC

• vantolr

Posted June 29, 2006 - 12:07 PM

if you have the money go 07 if not 06

Yep...that's what I'd do....that 07 looks real sweet.....I wish I had the funds.

• slr

Posted June 29, 2006 - 01:19 PM

My name is on the list for a new 07. It's going to be a big difference between my 2000 and this new 07 so i can't wait!

• spritefiend

Posted June 29, 2006 - 03:10 PM

Just my opinion, but other than the aluminum frame, which will be a HUGE pain for carb tuning, there isn't a whole lot of other differences in the bikes performance wise. Sure, they're going to handle differently due to the new frame, but the '06 is still a great bike and I'd be waiting for EFI before I'd spend the cash for the tin foil frame. Again, just my opinion...SC

i agree.

for a while there i was worried i made the wrong choice on getting the 06 in fear the 07's would have EFI... now im glad i didnt wait to drop top dollar on the brand spankin new 07's with no efi..

2008's will be my year :ride:

John.

• bluebike1999

Posted June 29, 2006 - 03:41 PM

the accessibility of the carb would seem an almost insignificant issue, as how many times do you access the carb really? i've NEVER touched mine(except to drain water) and even if the difference between the 06 and 07 model is 15 minutes more spanner time, big deal.

this is yamaha we're talking about, do you think that given the ferocity of the 450 market they are going to risk sales due to trivial issues that only the jetting obsessed minority are going to encounter?

to say you will forego a model due to access to the carb would indicate that some enjoy working on a bike as much as riding it. the majority of sales are based on the riding performance of the bike. why do ferrari's sell? or husabergs for that matter.

their profits are based on overall sales, and given the amount of feedback on hand to their R&D department, combined with the expertise of their marketing arm, i believe the 07 will firmly cement their position as the maker of arguably the most versatile and reliable dirt/road/race/motard product on offer.

considering that the wr/yz 4 stroke rewrote the book on dirtbikes and for 8 years straight was/is the benchmark to the best sales worldwide, for which all large (jap) bike builders measure their product against, i would back the new model as being a further consistent step forward.
i personally will not get an 07 next year......the $12000 aus bit that i have to have first is my only problem, so i hope the 07 is still good in 09.

• clark4131

Posted June 29, 2006 - 06:01 PM

the accessibility of the carb would seem an almost insignificant issue, as how many times do you access the carb really? i've NEVER touched mine(except to drain water) and even if the difference between the 06 and 07 model is 15 minutes more spanner time, big deal.

Living at or near sea level must be nice, especially when you don't have 100 degree temperature changes through the seasons. Come live in the Sierra Nevada Mountains at 5000' or more when it's 30 degrees on a warm day in January and 105 in August and you'll be talking out the other side or your face when it comes to carb changes. You Aussies are fairly spoiled with your low elevations and mild weather, for which I'm jealous. I've had days where I had to get into my carb to change jets/needles three times due to elevation and temperature changes. The aluminum frame will require the subframe and quite possibly the shock to be removed in order to gain access. My friends w/ CRF's constantly curse their bikes for this very reason, and not because they're Nancy-boys when it comes to wrenching. I've gotten so proficient at it, that I can re-do my entire carb settings from start to finish in under 20 minutes on the trail...less in my garage. Carb access is hardly an insignificant issue for someone who experiences all four seasons. In my opinion, EFI is a requirement for an aluminum frame bike, not an option...SC

• Looks450

Posted June 29, 2006 - 06:18 PM

Living at or near sea level must be nice, especially when you don't have 100 degree temperature changes through the seasons. Come live in the Sierra Nevada Mountains at 5000' or more when it's 30 degrees on a warm day in January and 105 in August and you'll be talking out the other side or your face when it comes to carb changes. You Aussies are fairly spoiled with your low elevations and mild weather, for which I'm jealous.

Not sure what your talking about. I live in Sydney and at the moment my bike is performing well and the average temperature when i start riding in the morning is about 1-5 degrees celcius. Now that is to say that at sumer when i was riding in 40 degree heat that the bike never missed a beat.

I am saying that it is the riders choice to try to pull that much performace out of a bike that it is jetted to within an inch of its life. Sure it isn't hard to jet, fuel screw, grey wire, airbox, cams, pipes, and suspension mod your bike so that you have every available pony working on the trail but i will happily leave a pony or two in the garage and never, and i mean never have to change my jetting for any of the 7000 km riding a year that i do.

Personnally i don't know but a handfull of people that can ride their bike near 80 percent of its power. so i'll concentrate on improving my riding so that when it comes time to start pulling every pony out of my engine, i'll be so good that a mechanic will be by my side pulling tools out of the factory tool box and i won't have to do it myself.

Looks

• Looks450

Posted June 29, 2006 - 06:20 PM

Sorry Flip.

To answer your question, if you have the money then the 07 is teh way to go. It is more ready out of the crate, and come five years time when turbo charged engines is the new best thing, then at least you will still have the alloy frame for resale value.

Cheers
Looks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • clark4131

Posted June 29, 2006 - 06:22 PM

You're biggest asset is your elevation, period. At sea level or damn near it, your jetting is much more forgiving, a turn of the fuel screw is likely all you need. Again, you're comparing apples to toilet plungers with your situation and mine...SC

• Just034

Posted June 29, 2006 - 07:18 PM

All bickering aside. In answer to your question the only reason the 06 is such a good price is that the 07 is so superior that they will be hard to keep in stock. Don't give into the crap that "all that is changed is the frame". The frame is the most major componant to handling that will be so much better on the 07 it will be unbelievable. You gotta remember most guys saying "well it won't be much of a difference" are trying to convince themselves not to feel bad cause they have a late model WR (not to bash late WR's they are good in thier own right). In answer to your question it is such a no brainer to go with the 07 it is silly to even second guess.

• clark4131

Posted June 29, 2006 - 08:45 PM

All bickering aside. In answer to your question the only reason the 06 is such a good price is that the 07 is so superior that they will be hard to keep in stock. Don't give into the crap that "all that is changed is the frame". The frame is the most major componant to handling that will be so much better on the 07 it will be unbelievable. You gotta remember most guys saying "well it won't be much of a difference" are trying to convince themselves not to feel bad cause they have a late model WR (not to bash late WR's they are good in thier own right). In answer to your question it is such a no brainer to go with the 07 it is silly to even second guess.

Considering there are no tests and they are not yet available to make such a comparison, you know this how? But, you're right...my '05 is just a P.O.S. now :ride:...SC

• jwcrf05

Posted June 29, 2006 - 09:00 PM

all i can say is it will probably have a much lower center of gravity...

• Assassin

Posted June 30, 2006 - 05:53 AM

I would go with '07. The '06's are already out dated. The '07's will look the same as the '08's, '09's and posibally the '10's.

You might save a pound (dollar :ride: ) by going with the '06, but you will loose it in resale value.

People seem to be worried about carb access, I have to take the fuel tank and seat off to get to my carb, so I can't see the difference? How many times do you change jetting once you have it dialed in??? I only touch mine 2 times a year. Not a big deal at all!

Nothing wrong with '06, but '07 will be better, and significant at that. Just wait for the reviews. :ride:

• Assassin

Posted June 30, 2006 - 05:55 AM

Considering there are no tests and they are not yet available to make such a comparison, you know this how? But, you're right...my '05 is just a P.O.S. now :ride:...SC

I guess you could use the YZ450's as an example. The difference is night and day.

Nothing wrong with '05's! :ride:

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted June 30, 2006 - 06:41 AM

Personally I would wait for the 07. Yamaha is moving forward with the bike, and I believe that they've done a nice job with the improvements. The carb access issue is blown out of proportion by guys that have never seen or ridden the bike, it's a new bike and should be judged when the bike comes out.... I'm thinking I'll wait until 08 for the efi, I like carbs but I'm looking forward to tinkering with something else for a while..

• Drunken Monkey

Posted June 30, 2006 - 06:44 AM

Personally I would wait for the 07. Yamaha is moving forward with the bike, and I believe that they've done a nice job with the improvements. The carb access issue is blown out of proportion by guys that have never seen or ridden the bike, it's a new bike and should be judged when the bike comes out.... I'm thinking I'll wait until 08 for the efi, I like carbs but I'm looking forward to tinkering with something else for a while..

:ride: :ride: :ride:
Have you ever ridden a Gas Gas 450? Man, they are so buttery smooth! Nearly got one my self!

• Drunken Monkey

Posted June 30, 2006 - 06:47 AM

My '06 YZ is a class above the old '05. I don't know what all the worry is about?
difference is huge. New '07 WR450F should have been here a long time ago.

• Just034

Posted June 30, 2006 - 08:26 AM

The proof is in the huge difference in the 05 to 06 YZ. Nothing will make an 05 handle half as good as an 06 YZ so it is not much of a stretch to consider the difference to be the same order of magnitude on the WR with very similar changes. It looks like from your post you are already are defensive of your inferior handling 05, that is OK if you want to stay devoted to a bike that will not handle as well as newer bike with newer technology. Even a cheap econo car built recently handles better than a sports car from years ago. Advances in technology happen for the better. And this whining match about access to the carb will cost you perhaps 2 minutes. If it is that hard for you get some dexterity practice or take it to the shop. I guess those guys riding Honda, Suzuki, Kawi with Aluminum frames never change thier jetting or perhaps they are more coordinated?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.