piston skirt broke...why , kx60 , 1 year on it

10 replies to this topic
  • Trail monkey

Posted June 29, 2006 - 08:23 AM

what would be the cause of a piston breaking at the skirt line, piston only had one season on it, in my boys KX60

Thanks

• NYMXer

Posted June 29, 2006 - 08:43 AM

You asked a lot from a piston to go a whole year w/o changing and that's why it broke. When my son ran his 60, we did the top end no less than 4 x's a season. :ride:

• kawirider

Posted June 29, 2006 - 08:44 AM

My friends KDX220 broke the skirts off the piston almost a year ago. They determined that the bottom end bearings got ground up which allowed the piston to vibrate side to side in the cylinder. They had to replace like everything in that motor.

• KXMike

Posted June 29, 2006 - 09:01 AM

My friends KDX220 broke the skirts off the piston almost a year ago. They determined that the bottom end bearings got ground up which allowed the piston to vibrate side to side in the cylinder. They had to replace like everything in that motor.

exactly. i have seen this happen in 85's many times. trail monkey, i would replace the bottom end bearing also. i have seen many times where they just replace the top end and when its all put together the bottom end bearing explodes and peices of the bearing get on top of the piston and screws everything up.

• snowxdadx3

Posted June 29, 2006 - 09:06 AM

The stock one is cheasy/thin. :ride: Compare a Wiseco to the stock one. Much thicker. :ride: Plus, think of the torture that little piece of aluminum goes thru-hot cold, wot, idle, shaking side to side as it goes thru a stroke. Actually amazing they live that long at all. Our kx60 made it 1 and 1/2 seasons, finally gave up when my youngest :ride: decided to prove that water cannot be compressed-over the seat deep!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MotoMac

Posted June 29, 2006 - 11:25 AM

Don't know if it is still the same, but when I bought my youngest son his KX-60, the owners manual emphasized that the rings should be replaced every three races and the piston replaced every six races. Even if your son doesn't race it, the piston still takes a beating. Piston, rings, and bearings are cheap insurance for what it's probably going to cost you after the skirt broke off.

Cheers,

Mac

• danman

Posted June 29, 2006 - 11:28 AM

High Rev = High Pressure = High wear

Basically that is WAY too many "high's" to go a whole year.

• dorkpunch

Posted June 29, 2006 - 02:17 PM

i've also heard that pistons can "crystalize" if you start the engine and shut it back off without letting the engine warm up. The sudden heat cycling will make the piston brittle. dont know if its true, but hey, you never know.

• RickyD

Posted June 29, 2006 - 04:26 PM

The skirt catches on the exhaust port du too wobbling around in the cylinder..

• RCannon

Posted June 29, 2006 - 04:55 PM

The little bikes have a very limited top end life, even at trail speeds.

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted June 29, 2006 - 05:31 PM

If there is any extra bearing clearance, the piston will travel further down in the bore and hit the crank and break the skirts off, especially under load (powerband).

Related Content

Forums
Photo

kx250f exhaust recommendations? by DeviousPete

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Kawasaki   KX250F
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

The 200 club by gmoss357

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   KTM 2-Stroke
  • Hot  2,836 replies
Forums
Photo

2006 honda crf 250r keeps dying by johnfowler25

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF250R
  • 8 replies
Forums
Photo

Strait to a 250 2t? by tombom

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Should I buy a kx65 or 85 or some other bike by parisp22

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 4 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.