Engine Clunk when turning off ignition

19 replies to this topic
  • RW06

Posted June 29, 2006 - 05:29 AM

I noticed this clunk happening when I turned of the ignition. Checked oil. Way low. Replaced oil. Started engine. Turned off engine. Still have clunk.

I read a lot of the engine noise threads in the archive, but didn't find this noise.

• 10guy

Posted June 29, 2006 - 08:07 AM

Any idea where it is coming from??? Which side? High or low in the engine?

• RW06

Posted June 29, 2006 - 06:05 PM

Left side low.
I rode it around today stopping and restarting about 12 times. It sounded like it was back to normal until about 11th time. 11th = clunkc then tried one more time, and it sounded back to normal (engine turns off with quiet click).

Any ideas appreciated. The engine is noisier in general, so I'm thinking that the valves need to be checked, but I don't know if they're related to this clunking noise at all.

Any idea where it is coming from??? Which side? High or low in the engine?

• kalabula

Posted June 29, 2006 - 06:31 PM

My z400 did the same thing. I just figured it was normal. I never had any issues with it and have seen this thread at least once before but Im not sure it was on this site.

• 10guy

Posted June 29, 2006 - 06:39 PM

Down there you have the generator and starter. I would take the covers off and see what is going on, checking the stator screws etc.

• zx9rider

Posted June 29, 2006 - 07:09 PM

My Raptor 660 did it. Both of my buddies had Raptors and their bikes did it too. Occassionally, my DRZ400 will do it. I always wondered what it was, but never worried about it. I thought it might be related to auto decompression, but I"m not sure. I don't think it's anything to worry about. If nothing else, drive by your dealer and let the guys take a quick listen.

• gcvt

Posted June 29, 2006 - 07:19 PM

My DRZ has been doing this since I bought her four years ago. So does every other DRZ I've ever heard.

• RW06

Posted June 29, 2006 - 07:29 PM

Thanks guys!
I won't worry, but will take a look under the cover when I get a chance.

My DRZ has been doing this since I bought her four years ago. So does every other DRZ I've ever heard.

• codgemiser

Posted June 29, 2006 - 08:40 PM

mine clunks everytime I shut it off. I don't know if it's the starter or charging system or what.

• gbalias

Posted June 29, 2006 - 08:49 PM

mine as well. i guess thats how it is with these motors.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 10guy

Posted June 29, 2006 - 09:04 PM

mine clunks everytime I shut it off. I don't know if it's the starter or charging system or what.

You must just have a clunker then :ride: :ride:

• westerncan

Posted June 29, 2006 - 10:57 PM

Mine also does have a clunk when Ishut the engine off. My bike is a 2006 drzsand has 1200 kms on it so far and hasnt missed a beat .
Even my 2006 klx 250s has a simular sound when i shut it off.

I think that the sound is the "Automatic decompression system "

• jp3_99

Posted June 30, 2006 - 01:09 AM

My guess would be when you shut the ignition off, if it happens to be on the compression stroke and you kill spark there is a full charge of fuel and air in there and maybe the piston hits the top but cant compress it and shoots back down, kind of like pre detention, thus causing a clunk :ride: But that is just a wild guess.

• Motor-N

Posted June 30, 2006 - 01:10 AM

It is normal.As the engine comes to a stop the piston comes up on compression, the compressed air/fuel causes the piston to reverse, which engages the starter clutch in the reverse direction causing the clunk. :ride:

• Neil Claydon

Posted June 30, 2006 - 01:17 AM

It is normal.As the engine comes to a stop the piston comes up on compression, the compressed air/fuel causes the piston to reverse, which engages the starter clutch in the reverse direction causing the clunk. :p

I started reading this thread, and thought I was going to have to explain what the noise was, but word for word you have done it for me. :ride: :ride:
Neil. :ride: :banana: :p

• Skidder

Posted June 30, 2006 - 01:50 AM

Yup, my 04 does it too! I'm thinking starter noise. I was gonna ask the same question here. Niceto know it's not just my drz.

• depecherider

Posted June 30, 2006 - 02:42 AM

I started reading this thread, and thought I was going to have to explain what the noise was, but word for word you have done it for me. :ride: :banana:
Neil. :ride: :ride: :ride:

I started reading this thread, and thought I was going to have to explain what the noise was, but word for word you have done it for me. :p :p
Onur. :ride: :ride: :ride:

HEHEHE !!! :ride:

• cobusmeyer

Posted June 28, 2007 - 06:00 AM

Mine does it too at times.

But hey, I had a DR 750.

Yes, a single cylinder 750!!! It had a manual decompression lever and electric start. You shoulda heard that thing clunk when I shut the ignition off!!!
And it never gave me any trouble.

So I guess thats also why my Z's clunk doesnt bother me too much either.

I hope Im right...

• NEKOOHC

Posted June 28, 2007 - 06:24 AM

i wondered what that noise was ..... have some fuel , sir .

• uptwolait

Posted June 28, 2007 - 06:34 AM

Checked oil. Way low.

Make sure you are CORRECTLY checking the oil level (idle 3 minutes, off 3 minutes, check). Being a dry sump engine, you may have overfilled your system.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Looking at a drz400s and dr650se by lpfm1990

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Suzuki   DR
  • Hot  24 replies
Forums
Photo

what's the most comfortabe seat/seat mod for DRZ400 by the doog

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Suzuki   DR-Z 400
  • Hot  99 replies
Forums
Photo

Need help diagnosing rough idle problem by richdiggins

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Suzuki   DR-Z 400
  • 18 replies
Reviews

Suzuki DR-Z400SM 2013 by hondajon80

Suzuki DR-Z400SM 2013
  • * * * * -
  • 14 reviews
  • Last review by orundle
  • On September 19, 2014
Wiki
Compression & rebound DRZ400 suspension - last post by bmwpowere36m3

Compression & rebound DRZ400 suspension

Wiki Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.