New Member / New rider

9 replies to this topic
  • Slim Shadetree

Posted June 28, 2006 - 02:01 PM

Hi everyone !

I'm a new member to the site and also a new dirt bike rider having just bought my first bike a few days ago. I thought I would say hi and post a picture of my bike to introduce myself.

I expect to be doing a lot of reading, learning, and hopefully riding to learn the safe way to enjoy my new hobby. I live in Vancouver B.C. and look forward to taking advantage of our natural beauty from the seat of my bike.

Without further adieu here's the bike:
Posted Image

It has " Moose " handle bars and I think that's the only aftermarket item.
So far I have cleaned out the airbox of the dirt, cleaned the air filter and re-oiled with Bel-Ray and just been looking it over trying to learn it. I have a brand new rear tire to put on also.

:excuseme:

• SMOKE

Posted June 28, 2006 - 02:35 PM

looks like a good bike congrats on the purchase.

• surfnride

Posted June 28, 2006 - 02:39 PM

Wonderful choice. 2000 XR600. One of the best all around motorcycles ever produced! Over the years I've owned 6 or 7 XR600's. They are capable of just about anything.

As for making it a little easier to ride. Get the suspension dialed in. Precision Concepts is the best. (my opinion) other than that, leave the motor alone, maybe put a pipe on it, jet it correctly...and enjoy!!! :excuseme:

Ron

• HappyCurmudgeon

Posted June 29, 2006 - 04:08 AM

Nice!

I still want an XR400 for trails, plenty for my ability, but I'd snatch up a 600 in a hurry if one came along.

Welcome to the site.

• muctar

Posted June 29, 2006 - 04:32 AM

Hey slim shadetree, I myself just bought A 01 XR650R. Its Baja'ed, D606's,Compu, Iws Pro pegs etc. Less than 500 mil. Was looking for XR400, boss said that his bro was selling his. I was there when he got it. Any way he wanted th3e NEW R1200G or GS Beemer. I picked it up for 4250.00. Its A blast. Good luck with your sweet 600.

Later Muctar

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ghoti

Posted June 29, 2006 - 04:45 AM

Welcome Slim! You don't have any riding experience?

• Slim Shadetree

Posted June 29, 2006 - 04:18 PM

Ghoti nope no riding experience. thanks for the welcome everyone.

Happy Curmugdeon I actually wanted an Xr400 but I just couldn't find any for sale so I got this tank 600. This bike is intimidating to say the least :worthy: but I am sure to respect its power for a newbie. the gas tank was half full when i got it and i filled it up on the way to riding, man this thing is HEAVY with a full tank. I am 6'4" 215lbs and I will need to start pumping iron !

I went out for my first ride on the bike last night and after a :eek: wheelie situation at the start everything went smooth. Thank God my friend taught me to always keep two fingers on the clutch and front brake or I would of bailed. The bike launched on me and the front tire went up into the air then I started pulling the front brake and that caused the tire to dip a bit down. Then my brain said " pull the clutch !! " and as I did that I blipped the throttle again and up went the front tire but this time I pulled the clutch in and survived.

My friend was laughing his ass off at me but then congratulated me for keeping my cool and doing a double wheelie in my first 5mins of dirt bike riding. Then I just practiced changing gears up and down, coming to a controlled stop, and a learning to crawl around in first gear.

Here is a picture of us lakeside. My 600 is on the left and my friends 400 on the right :

Posted Image

• Mountain Road Madness

Posted June 29, 2006 - 04:48 PM

Nice Bike, Welcome to TT :ride: :ride:

• rolowe12

Posted June 29, 2006 - 05:15 PM

I'm new to the site also but have been riding a while. I have a 96600r and just LOVE the thing to death. I'm 6'3" and a "svelt 245" depending on what buffet I had for lunch! The pigs a handfull but once you figure out the personality you'll love it too!! BTW i just did my first top end rebuild in 5 years of everyother weekend riding and 3 or 4 hare scrambles a year. They are super reliable.

• Xr650rhonda

Posted June 29, 2006 - 05:25 PM

Welcome Slim shadetree,

Hey is that a Six speed?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.