Buffed Paddle Tire

10 replies to this topic
  • Yamaster

Posted June 28, 2006 - 07:53 AM

Has anybody every tried one of these? I use the buffed tires on my quads and really like the light weight but was wondering how they hold up on the bikes. http://www.skat-trak...paddletire.html

• ben_suhard

Posted June 28, 2006 - 08:50 AM

I'm not sure what "buffed" paddle tyre means, but I do know that paddle tyres are illegal for use in AMA racing because they work so well, otherwise you'd probably see RC using one at Southwick! Pirelli have a new tyre called MT410, it's designed for sandy and soft conditions, it almost is a paddle tyre but it's legal for MX racing coz the paddle is in three parts/knobs. I reckon I might try one coz I ride in a fair share of sand. http://www.ridemx.co.../345_MT410.html

• Yamaster

Posted June 28, 2006 - 10:13 AM

When they buff a tire it means that they take off outer layers of the tire to lessen the weight of the tires. They dont usually take the layers off the sidewall though.

• Yamaster

Posted June 28, 2006 - 10:14 AM

When they buff a tire it means that they take off outer layers of the tire to lessen the weight of the tires. They dont usually take the layers off the sidewall though. After they remove the knobbies and some layers, they mold on the paddles. Im pretty sure thats what they do anyways.

• 3TV

Posted June 28, 2006 - 10:56 AM

I used a Kings Racing paddle tire on my KTM 525, and it helped alot, but not as much as paddle tires do on a quad. Still, a stock KTM 525 was the fastest bike on the hill at Sand Mountain that day, so I was happy with it. If I were to do it again I think I would get the Skat Trak paddle tire instead. The Kings tire paddle is heavy, and it even makes the 525 work to turn it in very soft dry sand.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Yamaster

Posted June 28, 2006 - 12:48 PM

Right now I'm runnin the ams 10 paddle. I heard that there intimidator, or whatever it was, was horrible when the ground was even slightly moist.

• ISBB

Posted June 28, 2006 - 01:09 PM

Get the dominator or hooker if your set on skat trak's paddles... Personally i have used kings turbo paddles for the past 3 years and have NO complaints at all.. Except i keep chewing them up... :excuseme: Where i ride in dumont you can come off a dune and hit a stretch of lava rock and its not easy on a paddle especially when you manage to pop the tube and have to ride back on a flat... i think i went thru 2 or 3 paddles last season.. :bonk: I rode Every weekend in jan feb and half of march.. :busted: the one currently on my bike has lasted me a bit longer... I also think kings had a bad batch of rubber... one of my tires started cracking the sidewalls the first ride... but survived another weekends after that.. but my last one has been holding up well...

• Yamaster

Posted June 28, 2006 - 02:06 PM

I like the hooker because it has a shorter paddle so it wont dig in as deep and rob some ponies. Also it will easily clear the swingarm

• BergArabia

Posted June 28, 2006 - 06:48 PM

I use a 10 paddle sand snake and it definitely is much better than the stock tire in sand. never heard of buff before sounds interesting but wouldn't last

• Yamaster

Posted June 28, 2006 - 06:53 PM

I've seen lots and lots cr and kx500's use them, but I dont know how long they last.

• 3TV

Posted June 28, 2006 - 07:23 PM

I've heard the term "buff" used most with Sand Tires Unlimited ATV paddle tires. I think you can get single, double, and triple buff paddle tires, and the more times they are buffed the more rubber is removed from the tire. Triple buff paddle tires are pretty much for competition drag quads only, because sometimes they tend to have slow air leaks, and they don't hold up well to general duning. I would think that a single buff Skat Trak paddle would be better for drag racing and hill shooting on a bike than my Kings Turbo Paddle, simply because it would be lighter. I have no complaints with the Kings Turbo Paddle though.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.