makeing an oil cooler

5 replies to this topic
  • timothypg

Posted June 28, 2006 - 12:58 AM

I' am going to make an oil cooler for my xr600r. has anyone seen any small, 3 1/2" x 6" or so radiators out there? I was thinking a power steering cooler off a car, trans. cooler, heater core. I may take a look at the junk yard, but if i had a model of car to look for it would speed things up. I will buy the fittings and some steel braided hose and make one. hopeing i can do it for $50.00 or so. I have seen new ones on sites but they are pricey, anyways fiddleing around with the bike is my relax time. any other ideas? thanks. Tim

• Jawmail

Posted June 28, 2006 - 03:49 AM

You could try a trans oil cooler that they make for pickup trucks. They are cheap and come in all sizes, try a place like

• Jaybo

Posted June 28, 2006 - 08:46 AM

I am using an Earls 7 row cooler and it works very well. Might have to get creative with a mount (My 680R is in a quad chassis) but it's a quality cooler.

I got mine from American Street Rod. Quick shipping and decent prices. it included the mounting brackets as well. take a peek here:

Earls Temp-a-cure oil coolers

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR250rdr

Posted June 28, 2006 - 08:55 AM

I'd look at an XR4 oil cooler. Should be pretty easy to plumb in and it mounts way up out of the way.

• XRsteve

Posted June 28, 2006 - 05:25 PM

Scotts performance makes a kit using the XR400 cooler. Its definitely gonna cost a lot more than $50. You might want to try using something like an 85-6 ATC350X cooler. They have a oil cooler that sits on the right hand side in front of the gas tank. It looks like a little radiator. Pre-1996 XR250s have a cooler like an XR400. You might be able to find one or the other in a cycle wrecking yard. By the way, the Suzuki DR650 uses a similair cooler.

• timothypg

Posted June 29, 2006 - 04:39 PM

thanks for the info. guy's.

Related Content

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.