Help installing K&S Hydraulic brake light kit.

12 replies to this topic
  • red7

Posted June 27, 2006 - 08:09 PM

I understand about installing the one end into the master cylinder but then it says to run the two wires to the tail light hooking each of them up to the two connectors. What confuses me is that the wire coming off of the master cylinder is only about a foot long and the taillight is well......further away than that. :excuseme:

• Dube2

Posted June 27, 2006 - 08:39 PM

go to the local auto parts, buy the same connectors and some number 16 gage(aka AWG) wire and simply lenghten the wires. cut and dry. :excuseme:

good luck.....

• red7

Posted June 27, 2006 - 10:41 PM

Thanks Dube! I'll get some wire tomorrow.

The directions say to connect one wire to the brake light side of the taillight and the other to the battery. So for the battery wire I'd run it to the positive terminal with just one of those round end connectors that the battery screw can go through right? Then, how do I connect the other wire to the taillight? It looks like there is a blue, yellow, and blackish (maybe brown) wire leaving the taillight, going through a plastic wire harness and then disappearing. How do I tie into those wire? Do I find where those wires go and then tie into one of them up close to the battery or do I run the wire all the way to the taillight and then tie in some how? Which color?

Also, how do I know if I have a dual fillament bulb? My bike is an 04.

Thanks!

• red7

Posted June 28, 2006 - 08:58 AM

I would have thought more people would have installed one of these on their front brake lever. The one end just screws into the f brake master and then two wires come off of it both being black. It says to connect one to the battery and one to the brake light. Would I really want to connect it to the battery or would it drain it? I didn't know if I'm better somehow connecting it to the on/off button on the handlebars?

• red7

Posted June 28, 2006 - 02:18 PM

Can someone at least tell me which is the taillight wire...the blue or the yellow?

Thanks!

• Dube2

Posted June 29, 2006 - 06:44 AM

hey red,

well my opinion is don't run the wire from the battery because you will need a fuse at the battery and an on/off switch. the light allready has continous power to it and only works when the bike is running, it's already protected. not sure about the 04 but if you have two elements you would know just by removing the lense and physically see the lamp (should be an 1157), if so look at your wiring and you should have two wires from the ignition and split to three wires(one ground wire) just before the light. the running light would be the smaller element of the two and the brake light should be larger element and brighter when depressed. I haven't done mine yet ,but that's what I would do. :ride:

Good Luck......

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CAW

Posted June 29, 2006 - 07:23 AM

If you remove the seat and find the connector on the wire from the tail light you will see two wires on one side and three on the other side.(3 wires going from connector to taillight) That third wire is for the brake light. I ended up just using an inline connector to splice into that third wire. For the other wire from the brake switch, there is a connector plugged into the fuse block right buy the battery, i think there is three wires running out of the connector. There is a fourth spot on that connector that i used a non insulated faston connector for the connection, just like the other three wires. Use a test light and make sure it is a hot wire. Hope this helps.

• Gadsen

Posted June 29, 2006 - 08:41 AM

Huh, I installed a K&S switych on my WR450 and didnt have to add any wire. Run them both to the tail lamp area under the seat, you will find the power to the running lamp, hook one wire to that, the other to the stop wire that goes to the bulb. If you hook it directly to the battery, it wont be fuse proteced and will work anytime the pedal is depressed, even when shut off.

• RichBaker

Posted June 29, 2006 - 06:50 PM

I wired the power from the battery, thru an inline fuseholder...I wanted the brake light to work engine running or NOT! It's a safety thing, I ride at night...

• red7

Posted June 29, 2006 - 07:19 PM

Huh, I installed a K&S switych on my WR450 and didnt have to add any wire. Run them both to the tail lamp area under the seat, you will find the power to the running lamp, hook one wire to that, the other to the stop wire that goes to the bulb. If you hook it directly to the battery, it wont be fuse proteced and will work anytime the pedal is depressed, even when shut off.

That sounds simple enough. So do I just cut the blue and yellow wire and T into each of them with one of the switch wires?

Thanks everyone for the input!

• CAW

Posted June 30, 2006 - 05:29 AM

I wired the power from the battery, thru an inline fuseholder...I wanted the brake light to work engine running or NOT! It's a safety thing, I ride at night...

Exactly!!! :ride: :ride: :ride:

• Lit_Dueler

Posted July 18, 2006 - 03:42 AM

I understand about installing the one end into the master cylinder but then it says to run the two wires to the tail light hooking each of them up to the two connectors. What confuses me is that the wire coming off of the master cylinder is only about a foot long and the taillight is well......further away than that. :thumbsup:

:ride: I just got myself a K&S Hydraulic swich as well. I took a quick look at the the rear master cylinder and I did not notice any place to thread the switch in to!!! Can Someone giove me some advice as to where I am suppose to put the switch.?? :ride: One other thing, It was mentioned as well that I might want to put it on the front master cylinder as well. Which one would be better. I use my front brake more oftern than the front!!!
Please help!!!!!! :ride: :cry:

• bg10459

Posted July 18, 2006 - 05:35 AM

Can anyone tell me which switch I need for my WR.
12-0010 (10mm x 1.00) or 12-0011 (10mm x 1.25)?
Thanks.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.