06 YZ450F Problems

13 replies to this topic
  • Pinner

Posted June 27, 2006 - 07:11 PM

I just bought a new 06 YZ450F, its my first Yamaha is there any problems that I should be aware of with this bike? such as overheating, not starting, things like that. Please let me know.

• yamahacrazy_310

Posted June 27, 2006 - 07:25 PM

Rejet and change the tires. Oh and the chain cutting into the swing arm all easy fixes.

• opie

Posted June 27, 2006 - 09:20 PM

I agree with yamahacrazy. The only other problem is loving to ride the bike too much!!

• grayracer513

Posted June 27, 2006 - 09:33 PM

The biggest problem is having two riders and only one '06.

The only other thing is that they come with an undersized pilot (42), and they need a 45-48. Everything else is more minor than that.

• peaceNnugs

Posted June 27, 2006 - 09:36 PM

the stock jetting is ridable, at least here, but could still use the jets already posted. chain stretches like crazy. i adjusted mine 4 times, in 4 different rides, since then i put a did x ring on and still have yet to adjust it. front tire could be better, but ridable if you dont have the money right now. other than that, be carful hitting that throttle out of turns, you dont want no busted rear end. :excuseme:

• stock510

Posted June 27, 2006 - 11:26 PM

Go completely over the bike (greasing swingarm, steering head and hubs)

Set the sag, New chain, Adjust some freeplay into your clutch :excuseme: Get ready to be the king of all wheelstand disciplines :bonk:

• barch88

Posted June 27, 2006 - 11:31 PM

What I have found with my new 06

Needs chain slider fix, or TM chain slider.
Needs new chain
Needs rejetted
Needs greased (swingarm linkage, steering stem bearings, wheel bearings)

Needs to be a little slower for a noob like me :excuseme:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dooweb2

Posted June 28, 2006 - 05:07 AM

hey there is a clutch situation!! it doe heat up like crazy and when you adjust it durin your ride it is fine but when you done riding you need to turn it back cus when it cools it ets tiht aain and you will burn it up next ride.. so jsut check it for free play every time you take off after it sits .. its super stiff at first but wow is it nice after 15-20 hrs

• Ga426owner

Posted June 28, 2006 - 05:20 AM

hey there is a clutch situation!! it doe heat up like crazy and when you adjust it durin your ride it is fine but when you done riding you need to turn it back cus when it cools it ets tiht aain and you will burn it up next ride.. so jsut check it for free play every time you take off after it sits .. its super stiff at first but wow is it nice after 15-20 hrs

there is a clutch sitation on your bike but not on mine.....and that is because you are using the clutch way too much.....that is why it is heating up like crazy.

here is what needs to be done on every new 06 - hopefully before riding it
regrease steerhead, swingarm, pivot and wheel bearings immediately
ditch the stock tires, stock chain - they are junk
check the jetting - go up on the pilot jet 45/48
raise the forks to the line -
oil the airfilter
now it is rideable :excuseme:

other things to do to make it better:
ditch the handlebars they are to low - need Windham bend
buy a skid plate GYTR or Works connection
Hour meter - for true scheduled oil changes /maint

• dooweb2

Posted June 28, 2006 - 02:37 PM

I have only ridden fourstokes the last 4 yrs.. I do not use the clutch to slip it like 2 stroke guys do.. in any case I'll just say that in my case the clutch is more sensative than the 250f'sand big bores I have ridden... I dont know your qualifications nore you mine .so I'll leave it as my opinion to be aware of not abusing the clutch..I have one up one tooth on rear to make third more useable for me.. it has cut down on shiftin and seems to have worked well for me ..

• Reyndogg

Posted June 28, 2006 - 02:41 PM

I have only ridden fourstokes the last 4 yrs.. I do not use the clutch to slip it like 2 stroke guys do.. in any case I'll just say that in my case the clutch is more sensative than the 250f'sand big bores I have ridden... I dont know your qualifications nore you mine .so I'll leave it as my opinion to be aware of not abusing the clutch..I have one up one tooth on rear to make third more useable for me.. it has cut down on shiftin and seems to have worked well for me ..

MY clutch acts like that too. I have to really watch it. In fact, not watching it cost me a clutch pack already, so now I'm quite aware of it :excuseme:

I rarely touch my clutch after a start, so.... i also have a 50t rear sprocket.

What oil are you using? Im using shell rotella t 5w40

• Ga426owner

Posted June 28, 2006 - 02:44 PM

in any case I'll just say that in my case the clutch is more sensative than the 250f'sand big bores I have ridden... I dont know your qualifications nore you mine .so I'll leave it as my opinion to be aware of not abusing the clutch....

agreed.....no offense meant. Just that I ride the stink out of mine and clutch is perfect.... :excuseme:

Amsoil Baby! :bonk:

• sic

Posted June 28, 2006 - 03:41 PM

I use my clutch ('06) as much as I ever used the clutch on my 2-stroke YZ250's.

Its as robust clutch as long as you "get in and get out of it immediately" (just poke it to get the revs up). However, if you keep your hand on it letting the clutch plates slip, well, I guess you can kiss it goodbye in short order.

Probably also has to do whether you are a "shifter rider" or not. This transmission is the best I've ever had on a dirt bike in recent memory. So I tend to use a lot of gears. I even speedshift (clutch + full throttle) almost all the time. Still no clutch issues However, if you insist on riding the track in 1 gear, I really don't see how you can avoid slipping the clutch since a quick stab in slow, tight corners is pretty impracticable. So its risk stalling or play slipper clutch. And the latter will wear it out real fast.

When you use the '06 clutch, just dump it hard and quick. If you do that you can use it as much as your heart desires.

Sic

• Pinner

Posted June 28, 2006 - 07:19 PM

Thanks for all the tips guys I really appreciate it.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.