Help with AIS removal

12 replies to this topic
  • red7

Posted June 27, 2006 - 07:10 PM

The TT kit's instructions are a joke! :excuseme: It starts by saying, "remove ais system" and then there are no pictures. If we knew what it looked like and where it was we wouldn't need there instructions. The rest goes into a ton of detail but they kind of overlooked a huge step.

So does anyone have pictures of the ais system so I know what I'm looking for? I looked through the manual and I can't even find where it mentions ais. I figured the index would mention it but maybe they don't want us touching it.

All of the other mods have been a breeze but I got a minute into their instructions and they lost me. :bonk:

Oh, and I haven't been able to do a search for the last 30 minutes which is why I had to make a new post even though I know there are a 100 threads on this. It seems like I can never do searches anymore.

• EVLXX

Posted June 27, 2006 - 07:29 PM

The AIS is that piping and valve assembly on the right side of the head... it's all just emissions junk.

• clark4131

Posted June 27, 2006 - 07:30 PM

Okay Red, take a breath, drink a beer and relax. The AIS is outlined in detail in the Engine section of the manual, right after the carburetor. It gives a nice schematic of its location and removal instructions. In the words of John Cusack..."You must chill. I have hidden your keys!"...SC

• johnnyjeep

Posted June 27, 2006 - 07:34 PM

its that dealy-bob thingy on the right side of the bike, back by the rear shock resivior, it got hoses attaced to it, with one of them going to a metal tube that goes to the front of the head by the exhaust.

hope that helped

John in vegas

• Ramcc4x4

Posted June 27, 2006 - 08:04 PM

I also thought the directions sucked. As mentioned above, look at the right side of the engine. The AIS stuff is pretty obvious. I had a little difficulty removing the hose from the airbox. Be careful removing the snorkel from the airbox. Apparently the plastic can break. Mine was okay but I was really trying to be careful. I also cut the holes in the airbox as suggested. I haven't even run my bike yet because I'm waiting for the JD jetting kit. My bike is running WAY too lean, even with the pilot jet that came with the AIS removal kit.

• Dube2

Posted June 27, 2006 - 08:16 PM

i've done about 5 of them.

the ais looks like a mini carb just to the right side of the real carb. (4) 8mm bolts to remove, 3-4 hoses one of the the metal tube like the last guy said, your kit comes w/ a billet alum cap w/ metalic spacer for the heat, put the spacer in the cap and install on the head towards the right front w/ provided hose clamp, one of the tubes are caped off by a provided rubber cap 3/16" in dia, use the stock clamp to hold in place, another tube is removed from the air box use provided rubber cap 1/2" in dia, remove the battery, loosen the air in take clamp from the carb, remove lower sub frame and exaust bolts and also removing the entire tail pipe so that you could swing the sub frame up, loosen the intake section from carb entering the cylinder, swing the bowl of the carb towards the L-side of the bike, remove the 4-bowl bolts, remove the jet, install new provided jet and reinstall the bowl, now swing the top of the carb towards you and remove the 2-allen head bolts, use philips to remove slide, install new needle( REMEMBER TO INSTALL THE CLIP IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NEEDLE) :bonk: use the stock one to see distance, reinstall the slide(keep in mind the the slide has a metal plate, don't put the plate up-side-down :busted: , the manuel will show this picture, install phillips head screw and reinstall the cover, then using allen socket 1/4" drive remove the throttle stop, install the new provided TS, remove the tank, find the only grey wire on the right-hand-side harnes, cut the grey wire aprx. 1" from the molded plug and simply put electrical tape on both ends, this only a ground wire , no voltage or shorting to worry about. put the bike back together now, I'm sure you could figure that part out. :p Ive done all this work in aprx 1.5 - 2 hours. :bonk: good luck.... :excuseme:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • red7

Posted June 27, 2006 - 08:17 PM

Okay Red, take a breath, drink a beer and relax. The AIS is outlined in detail in the Engine section of the manual, right after the carburetor. It gives a nice schematic of its location and removal instructions. In the words of John Cusack..."You must chill. I have hidden your keys!"...SC

Mine manual goes right from Carb to Camshafts. I'm not seeing any of the tubing that you guys mention on the right side of the bike. Mine's an '04 and I bought it used from a guy but he said it was bone stock. Did he already take it off? I can't imagine he did because I get that annoying popping when I let off the clutch. I'm stumped for sure. :excuseme:

• clark4131

Posted June 27, 2006 - 08:28 PM

Well of course you're stumped. You have an '04 which doesn't have an AIS. That showed up for '05 in order to get the WR green stickered. Put the kit up for sale, it's of no use to you...SC

• Dube2

Posted June 27, 2006 - 08:35 PM

DAAAAMN red7.... I really don't know if the 04 has an AIS system, I was at the understandind the the 05's are the first :excuseme: the popping could be fixed by installing a Zip-Ty screw in the bottom of the carb, see you local dealler. you could adjust for elevation and outside temp if very extreme heat like AZ. I did it and found in so cal desert one very hot day I needed to adjust a little and she purrs like a kitten. :bonk:

• johnnyjeep

Posted June 27, 2006 - 09:42 PM

Mine manual goes right from Carb to Camshafts. I'm not seeing any of the tubing that you guys mention on the right side of the bike. Mine's an '04 and I bought it used from a guy but he said it was bone stock. Did he already take it off? I can't imagine he did because I get that annoying popping when I let off the clutch. I'm stumped for sure. :excuseme:

:bonk: :busted: :bonk: :p :p

• red7

Posted June 27, 2006 - 09:56 PM

Damn that sucks! :excuseme: Well, I'm happy I don't have to hassle with it. It's strange that I've read a bunch of threads on ais removal and haven't come across someone mentioning it was only for certain years. I also told the guy from Thumper Talks that mine was an '04 when I was ordering some stuff and he didn't question it either.

Oh well, anyone need an ais removal kit?

• johnnyjeep

Posted June 27, 2006 - 10:18 PM

you will laugh about it later

• red7

Posted June 27, 2006 - 10:48 PM

you will laugh about it later

Yeah, I already am. I'm actually glad I don't have to mess around with it so it was a blessing in disguise.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.