Ignition coil

6 replies to this topic
  • dmitchel68

Posted June 27, 2006 - 04:06 PM

I have a 2001 426 just bought it last week. I took it for a ride on wednesday for a couple of hrs and it ran excellent. The next time I took it out I was letting it warm up and it only ran for a couple of minutes and then would die. Couldn't get it running again. I got home picked up a new plug and it did the same thing ran for about 2 mins the would die. Wouldn' t start for awhile.

I got out my manual and just started to go through the electrical checks and everything was good until I got to my ignition coil. My primary mesaured in spec but my secondary is supposed to be between 9.5kohms to 14.3 kohms. I was measuring approx 22k. Could this be causing my coil to heat up and open up when it gets hot after running for a couple of minutes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Fastest1

Posted June 27, 2006 - 04:56 PM

I do know that I have read about more than a few peculiarities concerning the coil and its results. It says out of spec, buy a new one or beg a TT member for the one they have left after going to a coil/cap combo. A late model Hayabusa/R6/GSXR etc all have the cap with the coil built in and it fits well, just remember to get the electrical plugs so you can splice it into the stock wiring, it is simple, clean and probably more durable.

• byw

Posted June 28, 2006 - 05:29 AM

I'm having the same trouble with my 2001 new stick coil coming Friday.(out of a R1 bike) I will let you know if this cures my bike.I sure hope it does.I bought my coil from a fellow thumper talk guy Vetmxrider .Look him up I think he had another coil left over.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Fastest1

Posted June 28, 2006 - 06:11 AM

I never tested mine prior to trying the Hayabusa coil conversion that I did, however I did have problems which always caused me to change the plug. Cleaning the plug didnt work, it always required a new plug. I had just read a post recently about a fellow TTer having this problem and asked him if he would measure the continuity of a spent plug to see if something is physically damaging the plug. Havent heard the results yet. I never thought of checking the plug when I was having the problem. Once I changed to the cap/coil and did the BK/GB Mod I never had plug problems again. I attribute it to turning off the fuel and letting the bike run for a minute every time I kill the bike also. I have recently gone to a JD jetting kit and since removed the BK mod, seems fantastic so far.

• dmitchel68

Posted June 28, 2006 - 07:55 AM

I was actually measuring my coil with the spark plug boot attached. My coil is reading 11.5k which is within spec according to my manual with the boot pulled off. Could my boot be the problem? When I measure across it it comes up about 12k. Is that right for the boot. My manual doesn't say anything about that.

• byw

Posted June 29, 2006 - 05:49 AM

Yes the reading will be different with the boot on.My readings with the boot on were way off.The boot will just unscrew with a little pulling pressure.I will see Friday if the new coil will fix it.

• dmitchel68

Posted July 19, 2006 - 10:36 AM

I ended up ordering a new boot put it on no more problems. I have ordered a JD jet kit and extended fuel screw just waiting for it to get here.

Related Content

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  106 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.