R Commuter

13 replies to this topic
  • squatpuke

Posted June 27, 2006 - 12:06 PM

I'm shopping for a 650, but am torn between the R and the L.

I want to commute the bike so I need to be able to park securely. I work at a university so there's a higher than normal risk factor.

Are there 3rd party key-switch kits? If so, would I be safe enough with just a disk brake lock?

I would chain it to a tree, but would probably get a ticket by campus police.

Advice?

Suck it up and get the L?

• Hoverboy

Posted June 27, 2006 - 12:24 PM

Hey squatpuke,

If you go for the XR 650R, which I would recommend, you can secure it by using a chain through the rims and frame, then to any solid object. There is someone on Ebay that sells a key/speedo combo for the 650R.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...me=STRK:MEWA:IT

Another tip for safety is you leave your bike in gear when you park it. If someone does go through the trouble of cutting your lock, they will have to fiddle with it that much more to get it rolling. Also, you can spend $30 or so on a motorcycle cover, that way people don't see your pretty toy. That's what I do. It also protects your bike somewhat from the scorching summer AZ sun! :excuseme:
The bottom line is that if someone is persistent enough, they are going to steal it, or tear it up trying. Good insurance is the ticket. I would also speak to the building maitenance/security person, and get permission to park it up close to the building, or even in a secured area on campus. If your work there, they should be a little more flexible with their rules.

-RC

• jamestoo

Posted June 27, 2006 - 02:10 PM

^^^^^^^^^what he said^^^^^^^^^^^

Go for the R!!

• babbs

Posted June 27, 2006 - 02:47 PM

Leave it in gear?!?!?! Leaving it in gear might help if you take the clutch lever off when you park it.

• HawkGT

Posted June 27, 2006 - 03:14 PM

I run a key switch from that same e-bay guy. It's a standalone switch, not the speedo/switch combo. The only downside is that it adds a small extra step for removing the gas tank (a minor point but worth mentioning). I like it because it keeps someone who actually knows how to start an R from just jumping on and riding off while I run into the convienence store for a minute or two. It won't stop a knowlegable thief though. It's easy to bypass if you know how it hooks up.

For longer parks I use a disk lock. The little Kryptonite U-lock variety locks onto my crossbar pad nicely while riding.

• ProMed

Posted June 28, 2006 - 08:23 AM

I run a key switch from that same e-bay guy. It's a standalone switch, not the speedo/switch combo. The only downside is that it adds a small extra step for removing the gas tank (a minor point but worth mentioning). I like it because it keeps someone who actually knows how to start an R from just jumping on and riding off while I run into the convienence store for a minute or two. It won't stop a knowlegable thief though. It's easy to bypass if you know how it hooks up.

For longer parks I use a disk lock. The little Kryptonite U-lock variety locks onto my crossbar pad nicely while riding.

Same key switch here. I also use a XENA alarm disk lock along with a cable lock.

• jwriott

Posted June 28, 2006 - 09:34 AM

I use a disk lock as well.

Guys I used to ride sport bikes with did a small panel with 4 switches. You had to have them all in the right position to start the bike.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • captb

Posted June 28, 2006 - 10:48 AM

They're too easy to pick up and load in a truck, only way is to secure it to a non movable object.

• adam574

Posted June 28, 2006 - 01:13 PM

i don't belive someone would be able to pick up an r and put it in a truck. maybe with two friends but i would hope that would look super ssuspect. i don't really do the key switch thing. only because after you install it you realize how stupid and easy they are to disconnet. the disc lock is your best bet. a r that doesn't roll is a complete pain in the ass to load up and or roll away with.

• ProMed

Posted June 29, 2006 - 04:14 AM

i don't belive someone would be able to pick up an r and put it in a truck. maybe with two friends but i would hope that would look super ssuspect.

You would be amazed at how quickly a couple guys with a van can stick two poles under a bike, lift it up, and throw it in the back. Even if you have an alarm it would only be going over for 2-3 seconds before they closed the van doors and drove off. There was a video of a couple guys doing this with heavy harleys, an XR would be like a bicycle to them! :ride:

• HappyCurmudgeon

Posted June 29, 2006 - 04:34 AM

I saw a video on TV, like on 20-20 or some such show, can't recall which, where a van with 4 guys and 2 strips of 2x4 where stealing sport bikes, which are obviously heavier than most dirt bikes/dual sports.

I believe the longest time it took them to stick the 2x4 through the wheels and run away with the bike, literally, was just under 20 seconds, and THAT was because the guy driving the van had to turn around so they could run into the back with it.

It had two disc locks on it, and the steering was locked. fat-lotta good it did. The disc alarm was blaring as soon as they touched it, and they where in the van and gone so fast no one even knew where to look, if they even would have bothered to look. (No one even blinks at car alarms anymore, they are just more background noise now and people walk right by them without caring.)

the only thing a disc lock does, is slow down a potential joy-rider or wanna be thief. They are a joke to anyone who seriously wants the bike. Chaining it to an immovable object is marginally better at best to an experienced thief.

If you can't park it in a secured lot then the best advice i have, is get good insurance. So then, WHEN, not "if" someone kicks it over, steals it, or just smashes it up sitting there for spite, at least you will have some avenue of recuperating part of the loss. Colleges are notorious for transportation theft & vandalism. You may be better off parking it in the middle of Camden with a "free" sticker pasted to it.

• adam574

Posted June 29, 2006 - 08:23 AM

all you can do is make it a problem for the 90% of the criminals that are hacks. the pro's will take whatever they want and nothing you can buy will stop them. it sucks being helpless like that but it is the truth

• ProMed

Posted June 29, 2006 - 09:55 AM

all you can do is make it a problem for the 90% of the criminals that are hacks. the pro's will take whatever they want and nothing you can buy will stop them. it sucks being helpless like that but it is the truth

Yep, you are correct sir. That is why I have photos of every little mod on the bike and a $100 theft deductible with Progressive!

• del435

Posted June 30, 2006 - 09:28 PM

I ride to work all the time on my 650r. Best thing that I did was get the Electrecks kit. Came with everything to make it legal. plus, the key can be removed in the on or off position. kind of nice when rideing off road, no fear of lose the key 70 miles from town.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 4 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 9 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.