98 400 runs so lean bike wont idle down?

4 replies to this topic
  • halftimer

Posted June 27, 2006 - 11:52 AM

anyone else have this problem and fixed it? or have any idea how i could fix it? it has done this since i bought it. also which of the two jets on either side of the main is the pilot??? thanks

• grayracer513

Posted June 27, 2006 - 06:42 PM

The one directly forward of the main (toward the front of the bike) is the pilot. In all such cases, I'd advise you to check the intake valve clearance before tinkering with the jets.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • halftimer

Posted June 28, 2006 - 09:50 PM

well there is only the air mixture screw in front of the main. there is a small jet on the left and right and they are significantly different in design so i am stumped????

Also which way are my intake intake valves most likely to be tight or loose???

• grayracer513

Posted June 29, 2006 - 07:14 AM

The valves would be tight if they are causing this.

After checking the manual, it looks like your carb is quite differently laid out than the later FCR. Your pilot jet is the one on the left side (of the motorcycle). With the carb off, looking at the bottom, and the intake bell at 12:00 o'clock, it's at 10:00, as nearly as I can tell. (picture's bad)

Download the manual and see for yourself;

• halftimer

Posted June 29, 2006 - 09:41 AM

thanks for the help i work the swing shift and this is my weekend so i wont be able to check into it till monday. i will keep ya posted thanks again

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.