CRD vs. Ready Racing vs. Scotts

9 replies to this topic
  • cowboyona426

Posted June 26, 2006 - 09:14 PM

I doubt any of you have tried all three oil filters, but I'm wondering what people's experiences are with each. I'd like to get one of the three and I'm curious whether the two less expensive varieties are of the same quality as the Scotts.

• barch88

Posted June 26, 2006 - 10:14 PM

I was going to ask the SAME QUESTION. I seen CRD in stock, Ready was sold out, they didn't sell Scotts, so I was going to ask how CRD is. Then I go look agian, and it's out of stock...

The CRD looked cheap in the pictures, Scotts look best in the pictures, and Ready looked alright, thats IMO though. But you can't go off pictures.

• 642MX

Posted June 27, 2006 - 05:07 AM

I use the K&N 142 filter. It retails for $9. Its a brass mesh thats cleanable.

• elcamino76

Posted June 27, 2006 - 05:11 AM

yeah i was going to go for the ready racing filter but its nowhere to be found, everyone is out. Anybody know where to get one????

• Ranger18

Posted June 27, 2006 - 07:03 AM

motosport outlet caries them. www.motosport.com

or you can get them directly through ready racings web site.

I had one on my crf450. It was very well made, and not too much $
I plan on getting one for my yzf, but am going to wait until I polish off a few of paper filters.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted June 27, 2006 - 08:14 AM

I do not know from experience how the copy-cat filters work or hold up, and I'm not going to find out. I just bought my third Scotts based on the performance of the other two that I've had for 3 years.

Scotts publishes all the pertinent technical facts about their filters. The others claim that they are "just as good", or, "made of the same material", but publish nothing. Not for me.... I know what a Scotts is.

642, your brass mesh filter is an OEM duplicate, and filters nothing smaller than about 70-80 microns, which is not really a very small piece of junk. The Scotts Stainless mesh filters twice as well as that, being rated at 35 microns absolute.

• WFOracer

Posted June 27, 2006 - 08:33 AM

I have the scotts (available on TT) and it looks and works great. I was very impresssed with the craftsmanship of the filter when I got it. I have only cleaned it a few times, but it appears to be doing it's job.

I didn't know that K&N's were re-usable, I always just replaced them. They are made by another company (green box), for only $4...I think they come from parts unlimited.

• Baron Von Beard

Posted June 27, 2006 - 08:45 AM

I have the scotts (available on TT) and it looks and works great. I was very impresssed with the craftsmanship of the filter when I got it. I have only cleaned it a few times, but it appears to be doing it's job.

I didn't know that K&N's were re-usable, I always just replaced them. They are made by another company (green box), for only $4...I think they come from parts unlimited.

That other company is Hi-Flow. I bought 16 of them on Ebay for $32.00. That's good for a year or more and cheaper than a reusable one, plus I don't have to clean it. :excuseme:

• grayracer513

Posted June 27, 2006 - 08:52 AM

I do about 18-20 oil changes per year. both my Scotts filters are around 3 years old. At your price, I've had a clean filter with every oil change for over a year for free, and all I had to do was spend 5 minutes cleaning it.

The other side of the coin.

Plus, the Hi-Flow's don't filter particularly well, anyway.

• 642MX

Posted June 27, 2006 - 11:01 AM

642, your brass mesh filter is an OEM duplicate, and filters nothing smaller than about 70-80 microns, which is not really a very small piece of junk. The Scotts Stainless mesh filters twice as well as that, being rated at 35 microns absolute.

I know, but I change my oil every ride and clean the filter every ride too. I would buy a better filter, but I haven't had any problems yet.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.