My Trailtech Vapor is shipping!

15 replies to this topic
  • hartzpad

Posted June 26, 2006 - 07:36 PM

Ordered it last Thursday and they said it was Backordered for 10-14 days. Received the UPS tracking number this afternoon. Sweet!

I need the TrailTech Vapor because the DMV won't allow me to register my '01 WR426F w/o an odometer and although it is currently plated, the previous owner removed the odometer.

• nitronaf

Posted June 26, 2006 - 08:42 PM

that so isnt fair :excuseme:

• YamahaWR450FMike

Posted June 27, 2006 - 02:12 AM

I'm going to buy the Vapor just because it has a water temp gauge!

• JJHayesIII

Posted June 27, 2006 - 08:50 AM

so, where'd you order it from?

• 06WR450FSM

Posted June 27, 2006 - 10:04 AM

I already have mine :bonk:

The standard Vapor mounting clamp to the '06 Renthal doesn't clear the bar clamps on the triple clamp :excuseme: so i guess I'll be making a bracket.

The water temp guage is the most valuable feature. Too bad they put the ambient temp readout on the #1 screen mode that includes the tripmeter. The water temp is on the #2 screen mode that shows digital rpm where the trip normally is (rpm graph is on both screens). It is easy to toggle screens, but it would be nice to have the most important info on one screen.

http://www.trailtech.net

• hartzpad

Posted June 27, 2006 - 11:28 AM

Ordered mine directly from Trailtech.

Is it hard to install all the sensors? I hope the standard mounting brackets work with my Renthals on my 2001. I'm excited to get this thing installed. Just the speedo, water temp, tech and odometer functions are the most important to me but ambient temp is cool too.

• JJHayesIII

Posted June 28, 2006 - 10:18 AM

cool!

I'm in it for the water temp too....had been looking at all the cheezy methods of tracking temps...but since I could use a speedo/odo too (and technically, need one to ride on the street legally), the vapor will solve all my problems...

I'm curious about the install too....

• 06WR450FSM

Posted June 28, 2006 - 10:53 AM

Ordered mine directly from Trailtech.

Is it hard to install all the sensors? I hope the standard mounting brackets work with my Renthals on my 2001. I'm excited to get this thing installed. Just the speedo, water temp, tech and odometer functions are the most important to me but ambient temp is cool too.

I called TrailTech and apparently my kit is missing an extension piece between the standard plastic handle bar mount and the Vapor. They said they will send it out immediately.

The sensors look pretty easy to install. The tach sensor wire wraps around the ignition lead between the spark plug and the seal ring to the head. I suggest thinking about how you route it into there to prevent water from leaking down into that area since the wire has to pass by the seal.

The water temp sensor adapter gets cut into the coolant line that exits the motor front and goes into the top of the radiators. Some coolant will have to be drained and replaced for that.

The speedo sensor gets screwed into a 1/8" hole you drill into the aluminum caliper adapter bracket. The installation photo for the Endurance computer at Trailtech's website gives a clue about where to mount it. I sighted mine in and picked my own "optimum" loaction.

I'm already using the speedo function and have now removed the tank and shrouds to start the rest of the installation.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Chillwabbitt

Posted June 29, 2006 - 07:17 AM

What did you pay fot it ?

• hartzpad

Posted June 29, 2006 - 08:19 AM

they are $99 direct from Trailtech's website. I got it in 2 days from the day it shipped.

• 150 Fuelie

Posted June 29, 2006 - 08:59 AM

I just switched my order from the endurance to the vapor. I should have researched just a tad more. I like the engine temp gauge...............

• JJHayesIII

Posted June 29, 2006 - 09:57 AM

I called TrailTech....

Great info, thanks! Mine's on its way, and since my bike is completely torn down now, it'll be pretty easy to install all the sensors...

• rsj450

Posted June 29, 2006 - 06:34 PM

06WR450FSM update us when you get it installed. I'm interested to hear how the installation goes and what you do & don't like. Thanks!!!

• 06WR450FSM

Posted June 30, 2006 - 09:42 AM

06WR450FSM update us when you get it installed. I'm interested to hear how the installation goes and what you do & don't like. Thanks!!!

The tank and rad shrouds are off, so the plan is to get it all hooked up this weekend. Since I have to pull the plug wire, I've decided to pull the plug and valve cover to check valve clearances and would like to make radiator braces as well, so the project is getting pretty big...

So far I am using just the speedo and ambient temp. Complaints: 1) ambient temp gauge response is too slow. If bike was out in sun and gauge reads 112 when it really 85, then start riding, it takes like 20 minutes to creep down anywhere near the right temp. The sensor must be buried too deep inside. I expect that the water temp will respond quickly since the sensor is emersed in the coolant stream. That leads to complaint #2: I think water temp is more important than ambient temp and should be shown on screen 1 with the tripmeter where both can be seen continuously. It is on screen 2 with digital rpm, which seems of little value since the rpm graph is already on both screens anyway.

Still, the water temp and rpm gauge is why I bought this. Otherwise, a $25 bike computer can show speed and odo...

• 06WR450FSM

Posted July 03, 2006 - 10:14 AM

Updated comments on new thread "TrailTech Vapor user comments"
http://www.thumperta...500#post3562500

• hartzpad

Posted July 03, 2006 - 10:41 AM

I had mine installed by a local shop this week for $30 and it works great! I second the comments made in that other thread about the slow change in ambient temp and the water temp being on the wrong screen, but it is so worth $99. I would have paid $199 for this unit.

I couldn't fit it my behind the headlight with my Renthal bar pad so I'm going to remove it and mount it behind the headlight instead of just to the right of my clutch.

Also, my RPM's shoot to 12k right after they pass 5k or 6k on the graph and the booklet says that some bikes change PPM (Pulses Per Minute) as they rev higher. I'm going to play with the settings and program a higher PPM on after 5k RPM to see if that will correct it. My tach lead has 10 wraps around the wire in between the coil and the spark plug boot.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.