Cracking Frame

4 replies to this topic
  • INGEAR

Posted June 26, 2006 - 09:39 AM

I Have A 2004 Yz450f And The The Frame Is Starting To Crack Near The Oil Tank. The Nice Thing About The Oil Tank Is You Can Spot The Cracks Easy Due To The Oil Leaking. My Head Set Also Cracked All The Way Around The Bottom Where The Lower Race Is Pressed In.
My Question Is Does This Happen With All Steel Frame Bikes Or Is My Junk ?

• chrisn6104

Posted June 26, 2006 - 09:43 AM

Mine developed cracks around the factory welds. I had a friend tig weld the cracks. No more leaks worked perfect. A mig might work but tig or torch weld would probably be better. Take the whole bike apart and clean out the tank best you can find a good welder.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BergArabia

Posted June 26, 2006 - 09:44 AM

This is the first time I have heardanything like this.
Do you have any photos?

• John407

Posted June 26, 2006 - 04:18 PM

My '03 YZ450 developed a hairline crack on the right hand side of the down tube. It showed up after a dusty day at the track, the dust was sticking to the oil. Otherwise I would not have noticed it at all. The weld repair was simple on the carbon steel frame and looks to be holding up well.
Not sure how many YZ's had this problem, mine is the only one around here.

• yz_for_me

Posted June 27, 2006 - 09:40 AM

This has been known to happen with a few frames. Not very common, but there have been a number of posts on it. Most people either weld em up or pick up a frame off Ebay or somewhere.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.