06' 450 thrown chain broken case pics

51 replies to this topic
  • barch88

Posted June 26, 2006 - 03:25 PM

Wait, do DID you have the case saver off the bike? Or no?

I just wanna know. I also know a good welder thats a buddy of my Dads, where are you at in MI?

• rooster wrooster

Posted June 26, 2006 - 03:51 PM

barch88, unfortunately, no case saver. I live in Davison, its near Flint.

• crfmatt

Posted June 26, 2006 - 04:00 PM

Did you buy it new? Since if you did it should have had a case saver...maybe the dealer didnt put one on? :excuseme:

• barch88

Posted June 26, 2006 - 04:04 PM

Did you buy it new? Since if you did it should have had a case saver...maybe the dealer didnt put one on? :excuseme:

Dealers don't put them on. All dealers put on is front wheel and bars.

Oh, alright, nevermind. He's down in Detroit, so its way out of your way.

• grayracer513

Posted June 26, 2006 - 04:33 PM

I was hoping you would chime in Grey. Although it's kind of harsh of you to assume that I would "take parts off of my bike that I don't understand the function of". I haven't taken anything off the bike. As a matter of fact I've added hand guards, radiator guards, skid plate and a rear brake master cylinder guard. I never heard of the case protector before today and I read through TT daily.

My brother-in-law, a mechanic, said almost the exact same thing Grey did about it being an oil passage and having to drill it if it is welded.

I was looking for a second opinion that hopefully didn't include motor removal and case replacement. But it looks like thats what its going to be.

How does $900 sound for the labor and the cases if I remove the engine myself?

Your Bike is missing two parts: The case saver, and the sprocket cover, items 8 & 9 in this illustration:

http://parts.yamaha-...ifx?d=84050,2,0

They were held on by the two Phillips head screws that are visible in the first picture you posted at 7:00 and 10:00 o'clock from your output shaft. These screws will now appear to be screwed into the case for no apparent reason, somewhat like an incompletely driven nail. Are you saying that there were never any parts attached to those two? Because if there were not, someone removed them prior to your taking delivery.

Item 9 is the "case saver", and it's a factory installed, non-optional part, not a trick add-on. If it had been there, the damage would most likely have been much less.

$900 sounds about right (the cases are roughly $500), but it your dealer delivered that bike without a case saver, somebody owes you some help with this, IMO.

• FZ1426

Posted June 26, 2006 - 05:21 PM

doesn't your bike have that chain gurad to prevent the chain from doing that

DOH!! :excuseme:

How does a new bike get rusty that quick? You guys riding in salt mines or something?

• Satch0922

Posted June 26, 2006 - 06:08 PM

just wait till DIGILUBEJAY gets a hold of you for improper maintanence of your stock chain! :excuseme:

• DPW

Posted June 26, 2006 - 07:17 PM

just wait till DIGILUBEJAY gets a hold of you for improper maintanence of your stock chain! :excuseme:

The stock chain is for decoration only you are not supposed to ride with that silly putty stock chain...

• rooster wrooster

Posted June 27, 2006 - 05:29 AM

Grey I took them both off to get better pictures. I looked through the 06' manual and couldn't find any illustrations calling the inner piece a "case saver". On page 4-85 it looks like it is called the chain guide and the outer plastic piece is called the chain cover.

Regardless, of the names they were both on there and neither one of them broke. The "case saver" is pretty flimsy looking and if the chain ever directly hit it, I doubt the stock case saver would even slow it down.

• Reyndogg

Posted June 27, 2006 - 08:10 AM

Have a professional weld it back, then bolt on a ZipTy Case Saver to prevent it from happening again.

http://www.ziptyraci...spx?id=MTIzMQ==

Doug

That says 03-05...dunno if they are the same. anyone?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted June 27, 2006 - 08:33 AM

That says 03-05...dunno if they are the same. anyone?

Judging by a comparison of the stock covers of my '03 and '06, I'd say they will interchange.

But here's what had to have happened: For the chain to have struck the area that it did, and not wipe out the chain guide, the master link would had to have backed out and hit it as it went by, which is what the OP said he thought the trouble was. The purpose of the chain guide, or case saver, is to prevent the chain from lifting clear of the sprocket during moments of maximum slack under coasting situations, and it simply can't get off the sprocket with the guide there.

I doubt this had anything to do with the OEM case saver not being up to the job. It's just that the guide was never intended to, and can't, stop a backed out master link from hitting the case.

• gleaves

Posted June 27, 2006 - 08:33 AM

doesn't your bike have that chain gurad to prevent the chain from doing that

Case savers don't work miracles!

• Reyndogg

Posted June 27, 2006 - 08:59 AM

Judging by a comparison of the stock covers of my '03 and '06, I'd say they will interchange.

But here's what had to have happened: For the chain to have struck the area that it did, and not wipe out the chain guide, the master link would had to have backed out and hit it as it went by, which is what the OP said he thought the trouble was. The purpose of the chain guide, or case saver, is to prevent the chain from lifting clear of the sprocket during moments of maximum slack under coasting situations, and it simply can't get off the sprocket with the guide there.

I doubt this had anything to do with the OEM case saver not being up to the job. It's just that the guide was never intended to, and can't, stop a backed out master link from hitting the case.

I think i'd buy that story for a dollar :excuseme:

I've thought about doing the master links the other way before - meaning if they back out they'd stick out to the outside of the bike rather than the motor side, but never have. I mean, i ran a chain for a year with no master link clip, just safety wire holding it on and it never came off. Of course, after road racing a while, i'm pretty good with safety wire and safety wire pliers heh

Good luck getting your bike back together man, sorry for the bad luck.

• yzf450jack

Posted June 27, 2006 - 06:00 PM

I tig weld all the time! and you can weld that up! NO JB WELD as for the oil passage you can cut a little piece of aluminum and put it over the hole and weld around it so you don't plug it up with weld and where's the spring on the actuator arm! and get a good 0 ring chain I never ever had any faith in stock chains

• SurvivorMan

Posted June 27, 2006 - 08:14 PM

I threw a chain on my KTM 300, it took out the slave cylinder on the hydraulic clutch. Luckily it was only the cover so it costed me $50. After that I installed the enduro engineering cover/case protector. Now I change the master clip on the chain when they look a little worn. Good luck with the fix!!
You make it sound like the bike only has 5 minutes on it, after looking at those pictures I would say shes a lot older then that.

• Reyndogg

Posted June 28, 2006 - 07:10 AM

where's the spring on the actuator arm! s

The 06 doesnt have that spring.

• grayracer513

Posted June 28, 2006 - 07:43 AM

The 06 doesnt have that spring.

It does, however, have an O-ring sealing the release shaft, and you should plan on removing at least that and the output shaft seal. Making a small filler piece is the best approach to avoiding blocking off the oilway, but I would want to check it afterward by running the engine with the output seal removed to see if oil is being delivered.

• jeffboyd47m

Posted June 28, 2006 - 09:17 AM

I would just replace the cases. Your bike will never be the same as far as looks, resale value, or just the way you feel about it. I know that I am glad that I replaced mine. As far as Zip-Ty case savers go, I am still waiting on mine. They have had a problem because they packaged them for 06 WR-YZ and the WR is different than the YZ. 03-05 Zip-TY case savers will not fit on the 06YZF.

• barch88

Posted June 28, 2006 - 10:11 AM

I agree with jeffboy47m, I would myself just not feel right if it was welded or some crap like that. You learn from your mistakes, next time make sure to keep the case saver on.

• rexbond007

Posted June 28, 2006 - 11:44 AM

I am a welder and never never JB weld. it contaminats the base metal, eventally falls out. and causes more greif, when a welder goes to weld. the pours are full of glue...and have to be ground out, thus making the base thinner.a good tig welder can weld that up!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.